BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Considering some Zombies but I have a queation about them ...

Hey all,

Waiting for payday to pick up my CSM codex and had a question about zombie cultists.

Do zombie cultists shoot or just wander around moaning "braaaiiiinnnnsssss" until they encounter an objective or unit they can get into close combat with?

Asking because there are a lot of nice modeling choices out there for unarmed zombies but only one for armed cultists.

Thanks!

Librarian

they count as being armed with a single close combat weapon, any ranged weapon is used for clubbing purposes only!
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

They get some of the expected special rules added to toughen them up and slow them down, but there's nothing that forces you to move them in a special way other than that.

Be aware that current rules-as-written limit you to "no options" so you cannot increase the number of zombies in the unit(this has been beaten to death on other threads), so if you're making a purchase of zombies at the same time, don't buy a huge horde thinking you can use them all or cut up a bunch of models you already have thinking you can use them. Most people seem to be assuming that will be errata in the future though.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Librarian

i have to say that we have reached consensus between us that this is meaning wargear options and is just RAW WAAC power gamers playing out of spirit. anyway i refuse to derail this thread with a rant about them. I love zombies, especially if you take Necrosius from forgeworld, and give them Furious Charge as well!
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

I just posted this to another thread (Question about Typhus...):

"Plague Zombies are Chaos Cultists that have fearless,fnp and slow and purposeful special ru, and cannot purchase options" p.61 C:CSM..

It doesn't say that the Squad itself cannot get any upgrades, but that the cultists cannot.. To my understanding Cultist cannot purchase Cultist as his option, so whats the issue?
    Personally i don't see why and how people can whack from those page that cultists that are nominated as zombies couldn't go past 10man unit..

But as you originally asked: p. 61, under Typhus Plague Zombies special rule: They are armed with a single close combat weapon - any guns are udes strictly for the purposes of clubbing their victims to death!

Ps. Glad for you that you don't have to fight these things in your group

Quote Originally Posted by alshrive View Post
    i have to say that we have reached consensus between us that this is meaning wargear options and is just RAW WAAC power gamers playing out of spirit. anyway i refuse to derail this thread with a rant about them. I love zombies, especially if you take Necrosius from forgeworld, and give them Furious Charge as well!
    You don't intend to derail the thread, but you flame anyone who disagrees with you as a WAACo playing out of spirit. nice.

How you go about judging spirit and intent as contrary to RAW when you're getting fearless and FNP for free on potentially 6 cheap blobs is beyond me. Spirit is all well and fine, but sometimes the designers do go against spirit and fluff simply because they judge the option would be too powerful for the cost.

And I've seen multiple threads that have concluded that it's just better to wait until this is FAQed or errata'ed. 6 * 35= 210 models. Even without going to the full extreme, you can get a lot of cheap, Fearless and FNP models to screen a HUGE part of the table until whittled down, and whittling down could take a long time. So, spare me the notion that anyone looking at them being limited to 10 per unit is a WAACo power gamer.

EDIT: I don't care if a house rule says ok and won't lose sleep if they errata this to say it's ok. I half expect they will do so. But, you're slinging a lot of mud at a lot of people who take a view that it's better just to go with what's written and not try to deal with the endless arguments that arise when you start getting into "spirit".
    Last edited by inquisitorsog; 10-10-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Everyone I've talked to at my local, thankfully non-GW store, runs the zombies in a horde. And having faced them with SW they're a truly brutal bunch of b*****ds to kill! That being said, flamers are your friends- as are any dedicated CC units.
    But I digress
    Far as I can see they wander around moaning brains until they encounter an objective

and Alshrive, I've thought about adding Typhus and Necrosius to my Death Guard too.....nasty, but sort of a dick move..... and given that Necrosius DESPISES Typhus, not fluffy.... Besides the IA7 plague zombies seemed better to me than the current Cultist option anyway

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks for the replies. That gives my idea for modeling zombies some oomph.

I'm on the "wait for the faq" side of the fence and will probably use 10 man units until I hear differently.