BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Daemon-Prince

Default What scale of tank is a Leman Russ?

Well i am trying to pick a scale of ww2 tank to fit in for a leman russ in my DKOk army but i can't figure out what scale match's the size... Any Suggestions?

Iron Father

Buy a Leman Russ ?

Aren't 40k models 28mm, not sure how that equates into scale to be honest. Me I would just grab a Leman and if on a budget, eBay a 2nd hand one.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Elzanith View Post
    Well i am trying to pick a scale of ww2 tank to fit in for a leman russ in my DKOk army but i can't figure out what scale match's the size... Any Suggestions?
    It's going to be hard as GW stretches scale of some parts and compresses the scale of others. Sometiimes it stretches one dimension and compresses another dimension on the same part, esp gun barrels.

Anyway, 1/32 is way too big, 1/48 is too small. Even 1/43 looks too small to me, and you'll only get that in die cast, not a model. My rough calculations by comparing a rhino to an M113 is that it's approximately 1:38-1:40 scale. Edit: 1/43 may be hard to find if you're after a particular tank other than something common like a Sherman.

But hope is not lost in any respect, if you're just after WWII tanks, [url]http://www.warlordgames.com/us-store/bolt-action.html[/url] makes 28mm WWII, although they may be pricier than the usual die cast or scale model versions.

Also, the miniatures page has a good write up comparing scales to miniatures "sizes" to model rail road [url]http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html[/url] To be realistic, the "hero hammer" figures we get from GW usually look really large compared to the theoretical scales we expect though.

EDIT: If you want a firm answer from me though: 1/43 will be the most common scale (usually only die cast thought) that's close. The reason GW compresses some dimensions is because what's good for wargaming isn't automatically good for scale modellers.
    Last edited by inquisitorsog; 10-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Chapter-Master

I have some of the warlord 28mm tanks. Definitely too small feeling.

www.queencityguard.com

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Buy a Leman Russ ?

Aren't 40k models 28mm, not sure how that equates into scale to be honest. Me I would just grab a Leman and if on a budget, eBay a 2nd hand one.
    I am playing death korps so i wanted a german feel to my army..... And really wanted to use a Panther as my second russ (Since my first is mars pattern)

Daemon-Prince

LOL Turns out my russ is 5" long so im going to get a 1:48 german Panther aparently its the same size

[url]http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=32520[/url]
    Last edited by White Tiger88; 10-11-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Chapter-Master

I do quite a few turret swaps (especially vanquishers) and 1:48 fits right. The body of the tank will look odd because of the low tactical profile as opposed to the massive lozenge silhouette of a LR chassis.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I do quite a few turret swaps (especially vanquishers) and 1:48 fits right. The body of the tank will look odd because of the low tactical profile as opposed to the massive lozenge silhouette of a LR chassis.
    Considering my army is a take on the wehermacht color scheme it should fit right in anyhow plus i have an extra russ turret lol

Now the hard part.. Tiger 1 or a Panther....My baneblade is a king tiger...
    Last edited by White Tiger88; 10-12-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elzanith View Post
    Initially reading this question, I was going to say the correct answer is MBT, but evidently everyone else understood the question and I didn't

I do feel compelled to point out that DKoK are far more WW1 than 2, but I guess there aren't any appropriate WW1 tanks to stand in

I guess it's worth noting that it's hard to get a real world tank that really matches the scale of the LR as it is so much taller than it's footprint would indicate.

1/48 seems to work so long as you avoid GW tanks alongside them. Fairly sure one of my brothers uses 1/48 tanks in one of his armies alongside GW Guardsmen (Praetorians) and the only time they start looking out of place is when GW tanks are placed alongside.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast