BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default Question for Veterans of the Eye of Terror

Not to be a hipster, but this question is really intended for people who been in the game awhile and it is an honest question, NOT an attempt to troll anyone.

The new rulebook and chaos codex both make a big fat deal about the 13th Crusade coming to signal the end times, fall of humanity, etc. etc.

Do any of you fellow old-timers find it hard to get real worked up over Abbadon's 13th Crusade when you already fought in it nearly a decade ago? -And other than St. Josmane's Hope suffering Exterminatus, not much happened?

Or are you able to put that memory aside, mentally ret-con the fluff, and pretend that the crusade is still gearing up?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

A fair biut happened,

Chaos technically won the ground war but the battlefleet Gothic results were so overwhelming that their fleets were irrevocably smashed. Eldrad got eaten by Slaanesh trying to destroy a Blackstone fortress. but not before he nearly killed Abbadon in combat. Typhus killed trillions with the zombie plague and the 13th company came howling out of the eye of terror. It was a good time to be a gamer.

Here's the thing: in 40K it is perpetually Dec 31st, 40,000 A.D. ... I'm OK with that...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    Here's the thing: in 40K it is perpetually Dec 31st, 40,000 A.D. ... I'm OK with that...
    Exactly its a setting not a story, your battles can be based any time within htat 10000 years.

Chapter-Master

I'm not an old veteran, but I find it frustrating once in a while. I think the game would be improved by a willingness to advance the plot - even glacially - rather than leave it locked and stagnant.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

(Ciaphas Cain novels aside) Chris Copeland is essentially correct about 40K - if you want to move past that then it's up to you to take your pick as to how we all snuff it, 'Nids, Necrons (last codex) or Chaos?

Warhammer 40K is essentially "Dämmerung der Menschheit" to the Horus Heresy being Götterdämmerung eg. the Heresy was how the Gods died. 40K is how we die.

Hows that for grimdark!

My only fustration comes from the fact the international events were quite cool, and they've stopped doing them.

Yes, the storyline crept forward a tiny fraction and stopped dead, but a big part of me thinks thats essential, the game universe is at seconds to midnight, a cliffhanger, advance it and you have to extend that with yet more doom and gloom or conclude it one way or another, the former you can only do so much, the later detracts from the universe. Pushing the clock back by filling out what has happend prior in the timeline is IMHO a better way of doing it now.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Battle-Brother

The most frustrating things about it were for an Eldar player.

Of the Order side (Imperial, Eldar, Tau etc), Eldar did the best over the campaign and completed their objectives; in the WD battle report, Eldrad killed Abaddon in hand to hand in the game. The other order sides, (mainly Imperial) chose to allocate all their wins to Cadia which was heavily defended anyway and the area around was overrun by the disorder side, who did far better overall but didn't manage to breech the Webway.

For all of these victories, the Eldar 'won' Eldrad being killed. What they were given (manage to retake a crone world from pushing back the eye of terror in that area) was written out and glossed over.

My biggest problem when I read through the new Chaos Codex was that it seems to be placed during the 13th Black Crusade, and did not seem to factor the conclusion of that event into the storyline.

Brother-Captain

I'm A-okay with the excision. The Eye of Terror campaign was neat, but it went right for a grand event with UNIVERSE SHAKING RAMIFICATIONS and then they realized what the problems with that are. You can't advance time when you don't have a story to tell. 40k is a setting, it is not supposed to advance, you're supposed to move your focus.
    The CSM suffer from most of their characters being stuck in one place. You're either in the 13th Black Crusade or King of the Pirates, no one's out there just Chaosing it up. So, you have a book where you're waiting for most of your SCs to get off from the shift that never ends.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast