BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Astropath effecting allied army reserve rolls

Below list is Grey knights as "Primary" army and Imp Guard as allies for a competative 2K list.

Does the Astropath +1 to reserve rolls effect the allies in the list?
    Also if one side of the force say the Imp Guard had a Aegis Defense Line and put the Coms' relay in there would it effect the other side and vice versa?

Grey Knights are allies of conveniance.

I am looking for a Imp Guard force to hold the back lines and the Grey Knights to be able to come in with a teleport homer and key in off the Stormraven teleport Homer where I need them.
    Key to this list is the grandmaster making the Dreadknights scoring troops (D3 of them)

If it didnt work I could move the aegis defense line up the the grey knight side and com relay it I suppose and have the Astropath effect the Imp guard side.
    Last edited by Scootare; 10-15-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Brother-Captain

No. Allies of Convenience are enemy models you can not target.

Chapter-Master

yeah, it is very important to realize that Allies of Convenience are enemies.
    If, for example, you want Tau and Space Marines to ally and use each other's army wide gear, gotta be Codex: Space Marines. Any other marine combo means that the Tau and that respected marine army are technically enemies.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Got rid of all the lists it just llooked like Spam with Army Builder output...

OK good to know.

I can make my list work by killing off the Astropath on the Imp Guard side and putting the Aegis defense line on the Grey Knight side and putting a Com's Relay up.

Provided my opponent doesnt get a lucky warlord roll I have re rollable 3+ to get my reserved Grey Knight guys in.

Thanks!

"Allies of Convenience are enemy models you can not target."

Reserve rolls don't involve Targeting units/models. I don't see any rule preventing an Astropath from improving the Reserve rolls of an allied contingent. They could have added a "Codex: Imperial Guard only" clause to the rule in the FAQ but did not.

I also see no [rules] reason why an astropath would not affect the entire army's Reserve rolls. I don't see what difference it makes whether the units being rolled for are enemies of the astropath or not.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    No. Allies of Convenience are enemy models you can not target.
    Hmmm, I'm going to need a judge for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Step 1:
    (this one is hard)
    READ THE RULES!

Step 2:
    READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
    Profit!

*nods*
    Ok let's see,

Step 1: Read the Rules.
    Imperial Guard Codex: Page 31 Telepathic Relay: Whist the Astropath is alive, you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls. In addition, if any of your units arrive using the outflank rule, you can re-roll the dice used to determine which board edge these squads arrives from.

Step 2:Read the FAQ's
    (The only mention of Astropaths, page 4)
    Q. If you take two Astropaths or two Officers of the Fleet, do their +1/-1
    to reserve rolls stack? (p31)
    A. No.

Step 3:

Step 4:Profit!
    Yep, seems to me that you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls. Feth, it seems you could be desperate allies and you'd still add 1 to any of your reserve rolls.

Well then, once again the day, is saved, thanks to Tynskel. *Salutes* Thanks Tynskel.

Wow am I glad I am posting this stuff.

So....wow.

I have this other post going on with grey knight gunships and the consensus is they can zoom and still drop troops.

With a Astropath on the board and a com relay you have a 2+ re rollable.

In a 2K List I could dump a unit of terminators with his 3 dreadknight buddies in a circle around the gun ship if I had a large enough open hole with teleport homer.
    None of it could assault but seriously you could overload a flank or problem area hardcore with Astopath+Grey knight units with these rules combined.

The list I was thinking of playing in a upcoming tourney.
    The guard troops do what they do sitting back behind aegis line with Ordanance Tank ETC.

The Grey Knight troops+Dreadknight (D3 Objective Claiming) sally forth and take opponents.
    Depending on set up might leave a DK behind to help the guard if facing a Drop Pod/Orc/Blood Angel ETC.

I will try it and see how I do.

I could link the Army Builder text but it looks spammy...

I might add I am a almost 20 year GW Fanboy and have never posted here. These two questions were bugging me and you guys have been AWESOME responding.
    Last edited by Scootare; 10-15-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Chapter-Master

They are enemy models.

You cannot benefit from wargear and/or special rules of enemy models.

Otherwise, I would be able to benefit from wargear of my opponent's army. Like the 'locator beacon' etc.

The rulebook is clear: they are *enemy* models that you cannot target. The stipulation, in this case, is that you cannot target them. However, it does not state that they benefit from the wargear.

The base assumption is enemy model. If that is the base assumption, then all rules pertaining enemy models apply. Then you look for exceptions, of which, the rulebook explicitly states (no targeting, no benefits of psychic power, etc).

This is why the allies matrix is fun, but not broken.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 10-15-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Player A makes Reserve rolls for Player A's units, not for Player A's friendly units (Player A doesn't even have friendly units). The reason an astropath doesn't affect your opponent's Reserve rolls is because the astropath's rules state that it adds 1 to "your" Reserve rolls, not because it only affects friendly Reserve rolls. The enemy/friendly distinction is not one that the Reserve rules care about. When discussing Reserves, the question (absent a special rule specifying in addition) is simply which player owns the unit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast