BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

the rulebook is clear, these models are enemies.
    The astropath is adding +1 to the reserves rolls for the friendly units.

Read the entry for locator beacon.

"If a unit wishes to arrive on the battlefield via deep strike, and chooses to do so within 6" of a model carrying a locator beacon, then it won't scatter. Note that the locator beacon must already be on the table at the start of the turn for it to be used."

So, this means my opponent can use my locator beacon, right?
    No, because the base assumption is that enemy models cannot use your wargear.
    Why would this assumption end just because the enemy model is in your force?

The rulebook clearly states that allies of convenience are enemies.
    The rulebook also states what additional rules apply to these enemies. The rulebook does not state that all wargear and special rules get to be shared.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 10-15-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    No, because the base assumption is that enemy models cannot use your wargear.
    Why is that the assumption? Can you come up with a textual reason why the base assumption is that enemy models can't use your wargear, instead of that your opponent's models can't use your wargear?

Well it sparked a lively discussion.

I wont try to use my Astropath on Grey Knights then.

It was a good question as there were a lot of answers back and forth.
    Got me all excited...

List still works though. I can put a com relay in on the heavy reserved grey knight side of my list and keep my Imp guard units out and in my table area to hold my objectives.

The thing I always struggle with on the grey knight side is using expensive marines that cant shoot accross the table to camp objectives.
    Id rather take some sniper and mortor shots with my guard side and use the GK to claim stuff mid board and thier side.

Chapter-Master

Well, for one, GW ruled a while back that your opponents cannot use your wargear.
    I see what you are saying.
    Still, this concept still applies. They are enemies, and the way the rule is constructed in the rulebook, it you can only do what the allies rule states. It says nothing about sharing wargear.

besides, in almost all cases, the opponent is referred to as the enemy.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 10-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Your opponent's models are certainly your models' enemies, but I don't think it's true to say that the rulebook doesn't distinguish between opponent and enemy.

When 6th edition came out they changed so many rules and wargear to refer to friendly units chosen from Codex X that in a case like this, where the rule applies only to "your" Reserve rolls - and absent any articulated principle that enemies, by virtue of being enemies, can't benefit from rules or wargear - I'm inclined to take the rule at its word.

Chapter-Master

I think that is all the more reason that the wargear/special rules do not apply to enemy models.

They took the time to write out specific rules do not apply, even when they are battle brothers--- these are all cases of independent characters joining non-codex units. They can only do this when they are battle brothers.

For Example "Litanies of Hate" codex space marines. The only way for this rule to be applied to a non-space marine codex would be the chaplain joining a non-space marine codex squad. The only possibility of doing this is through being 'Battle Brothers', where your 'Ally' force is considered friendly. However, the FAQ restricts the of the special rule.

The point being, the FAQs heavily restrict 'Battle Brothers' use of special rules.
    It is inherent within the rules that special rules do not apply to 'enemies'.
    With these two lines of reasoning, it is entirely consistent that allies are not meant to be abused, and that sharing special rules is a very limited quantity.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 10-16-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    the rulebook is clear, these models are enemies.
    The astropath is adding +1 to the reserves rolls for the friendly units.
    Right, except that's not what the astropth entry says.

Imperial Guard Codex: Page 31 Telepathic Relay: Whist the Astropath is alive, you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls. In addition, if any of your units arrive using the outflank rule, you can re-roll the dice used to determine which board edge these squads arrives from.

In the IG FAQ there is no reference/update to the Telepathic Relay so it is still helping your allied detachment, as per the IG codex/FAQ...

However
    (You've activated my trap card!)
    The BRB FAQ (Ver. 1A)
    Q: Do modifiers that apply to such things as Reserve rolls, apply to units from an allied detachment? (p124) A: No.

So we have a classic case of BRB say "Can't do" and a Codex saying "Can do". Well I guess this ends the case of "does this work" case closed.

For those of you playing the home game, the BRB FAQ question comes up if your warlord rolls up the +1 modifier, that would apply to your primary detachment and not your allied detachement.

I would interpret it in such a way that the BRB FAQ restricts the Telepathic Relay so an Astropath doesn't affect allied detachments.

Veteran-Sergeant

Right but that's not, ah, ahhhh I see and that is a very good catch. Codex>BRB however in the BRB it doesn't mention the Codex>FAQ... Actually, now that I'm reading this, it doesn't even mention you have to use the FAQ's.... *Dramtic Music* Kyban, what have you done?! You've opened up the warp rift to all sort of crazy daemonic

No but in all seriousness that seems incorrect, mainly because RAW and the specific example of the Warlord trait.

What Are Amendments, Errata and FAQs?

It's helpful to people's understanding of these documents that we provide a clear distinction between Errata and FAQs.

Errata provide corrections to the errors that sometimes creep into our books. It is important to note that Errata carry the same 'authority' as the main rules and permanently modify published material; where one of our books says one thing and the errata changes this to something else, the errata takes precedence as the 'correct' version of that material.

Amendments are changes made to our rules in order to make them work within a new context; the most common example would be when a new core rulebook is released which then has a knock-on effect of invalidating existing material. They are not designed to fix newly created weaknesses or shortfalls, but simply to ensure that no rule, unit, item of equipment or whatever else is left incompatible with the current edition of the game.

FAQs, or Frequently Asked Questions are grey areas, points of confusion or places where rules can and have been interpreted in conflicting ways. For each FAQ we provide the answer as determined by the Games Development team; while these are not hard and fast rules text in the same way as Errata, they should be considered the 'official' interpretation.

-GW Website
    It would seem that FAQs > Codex > BRB. The way I look at it is that there is no conflict, the astropath lets you add to your reserve roll but the BRB FAQ simply limits that to your IG detachment. The codex doesn't say you can affect your allied detachment but the FAQ does say you can't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast