BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kyban View Post
    It would seem that FAQs > Codex > BRB. The way I look at it is that there is no conflict, the astropath lets you add to your reserve roll but the BRB FAQ simply limits that to your IG detachment. The codex doesn't say you can affect your allied detachment but the FAQ does say you can't.
    You mean like this?
    Imperial Guard Codex: Page 31 Telepathic Relay: Whist the Astropath is alive, you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls. In addition, if any of your units arrive using the outflank rule, you can re-roll the dice used to determine which board edge these squads arrives from.

I get what you are saying though and I had not really considered this. "Your reserve rolls" could be seen as only affecting units taken from the IG codex (for the life of me why didn't they update this?!) or any units, provided they are yours, arriving from reserve... Currently as it stands RAW "any" seems (I hate to say it) ambigious... I guess for the purposes of this thread, hopefully GW could update/address this in the IG FAQ in the next round of FAQing.

It really depends on how you look at it. I see it as being modified: it starts as being "any" and unrestricted but then is restricted by the FAQ stipulation.

Chapter-Master

even then, any reserves, in this case, is still bound by the 'enemies' and 'friendly' restriction. (before FAQ adjustment).

you cannot apply bonuses to enemy units.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    even then, any reserves, in this case, is still bound by the 'enemies' and 'friendly' restriction. (before FAQ adjustment).

It would matter for battle-brothers though.

For Reserves, it seems like there's now a more important distinction, though - Reserve modifiers don't cross allied lines at all.

I wonder if that means it matters which of your models is controlling a comms relay ...

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    For Reserves, it seems like there's now a more important distinction, though - Reserve modifiers don't cross allied lines at all.

I'm going to need a page reference from the main rule book for both of those.

BRB Page 109
    Allied Detachments: If you wish, your army can include one allied detachment for each primary detachment in your army (normally one, but if you're playing a larger game this might be two). As with the primary detachment, all units in the allied detachment must be chosen from the same codex, and this must be a different codex to the one used for the primary detachment.

As with the primary detachment, this section is split into a number of dark and light boxes, where dark boxes are compulsory selections, and light boxes are optional. An allied detachment will therefore always have one HQ selection and at least one troops selection.

Bear in mind that some combinations of armies and allies are more effective (and more eagerly entered into) than others - this is covered in detail later in the section (see page 112).

Page 112 Allies
    Battle Brothers
    Can be joined by allied Independent Characters.
    Are counted as being friendly units for the targeting of psychic powers, abilities and so on.
    However, note that not even Battle Brothers can embark in allied transport vehicles.

Allies of Convenience
    Units in your army treat Allies of Convenience as enemy units that cannot be charged, shot, targeted with psychic powers or have templates or blast markers placed over them. However, if a psychic power, scattering Blast weapon or other ability that affects an area hits some of these Allies of Convenience, they will be affected along with any friendly or enemy units. This means that, for example, Allies of Convenience units:
    Can't benefit from the Warlord Trait of an allied character.
    Cannot be joined by allied Independent Characters.
    Are no counted as friendly units for the targeting of psychic powers.

Desperate Allies
    Desperate Allies are treated exactly like Allies of Convenience. Furthermore, if your primary detachment is in a desperate alliance, units from that allied detachment are non-scoring, non0denail units.

In addition, the One Eye Open special rule applies.

Imperial Guard Codex: Page 31
    Telepathic Relay: Whist the Astropath is alive, you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls. In addition, if any of your units arrive using the outflank rule, you can re-roll the dice used to determine which board edge these squads arrives from.

I know what you're thinking,

Quote Originally Posted by Kyban View Post
    I would interpret it in such a way that the BRB FAQ restricts the Telepathic Relay so an Astropath doesn't affect allied detachments.
    However,
    A) that's not what it says. (you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls)
    B) This is second round of FAQ's that has come out, and GW has been pretty clear as to what applies to the IG codex and what applies to everyone (Via the Imperial Guard FAQ)

Imperial Guard FAQ Version 1.1

Page 29 – Forces of the Imperial Guard, Imperial Guard
    Orders.
    Change the first sentence of the fifth paragraph to: “To issue
    an order the officer must declare which order he is attempting
    to use and select a single friendly non-vehicle unit chosen from
    Codex: Imperial Guard
    within his command radius to carry out
    the order”.

Page 32 – Commissars, Summary Execution.
    Change the first sentence to read “If the Commissar has joined
    a squad chosen from Codex: Imperial Guard and it fails a Morale
    test, the Commissar will summarily execute the squad’s current
    commander – this is the Imperial Guard model in the squad
    with the highest Leadership value.”

Page 32 – Commissars, Aura of Discipline
    Change this entry to: “Any friendly unit chosen from Codex:
    Imperial Guard
    within 6" of a Lord Commissar must use his
    Leadership of 10 for any Morale or Pinning tests as well as
    Leadership tests incurred by orders issued to the squad”.

Page 35 – Ministorum Priests, Righteous Fury.
    Change the first sentence to read “A Priest and any unit chosen
    from Codex: Imperial Guard
    that he has joined re-roll any failed
    To Hit rolls in close combat on the turn in which they charge.”

Page 39 – Chimera Armoured Transport, Mobile Command
    Vehicle.
    Change the first sentence to: “An officer embarked within a
    Chimera may still issue orders to eligible friendly units chosen
    from Codex: Imperial Guard
    ”.

Page 60 – Colonel ‘Iron Hand’ Straken, Cold Steel and
    Courage.
    Change the first sentence to: “Friendly units chosen from
    within 12" of Straken have the Counterattack
    and Furious Charge special rules”.

Page 63 – Commissar Yarrick, Inspirational Hero.
    Change the second sentence to: “Commissar Yarrick and his
    unit are Fearless, and all friendly units chosen from Codex:
    Imperial Guard
    within 12" of Commissar Yarrick have the
    Stubborn special rule”.

Page 65 – Commander Chenkov, Forward You Dogs!
    Change the second sentence to: “All friendly units chosen from
    within 12" of Commander Chenkov
    have the Stubborn special rule”.

Q: Can an Imperial Guard unit use the Leadership of an allied
    Independent Character that has joined their squad for the purposes of
    receiving an order? (p29)
    A: No.

Q: Can an allied Independent Character benefit from Imperial Guard
    Orders if they have joined an Imperial Guard Squad that successfully
    receives an order? (p29)
    A: No.

GW has been all over FAQ's since 6th ed has come out, nobody can deny (the witch) that. (not even on a 2+, re-roll-able too!) If we are to "interpret" anything, it would greatly lean towards the "yeah, it effects the allied detachment, whether it's battle brothers, allies of convenience or desperate allies. Strictly, RAW, "you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls" seems fairly clear cut. I'm still trying to dig through the BRB and the FAQ for the BRB for the purposes of "bound by the 'enemies' and 'friendly' restriction" (which I could only find with regards to the allies section)

You can't say that "they haven't FAQed it" is a solid argument, it certainly wouldn't be the first time GW missed something. I thought there was something in there about non-battle-brothers not benefiting from allied special rules (I'll check when I get the chance). But to me it seems that the FAQ saying "you can't" would override the codex, even if it is a BRB FAQ, not a codex FAQ.

While it may make sense fluff wise, so would an Eldar seer shouting a warning based on their scrying but that can't happen either apparently...

Veteran-Sergeant

Touche, touche. Alright so ignoring that argument completely, we can still stand behind, RAW argument (you add 1 to any of your reserve rolls) and/or the Codex>BRB.

Chapter-Master

actually, by precedent, they practically faqed everything to NOT work with allies. The FAQ is a perfect example, considering more situations than not have been used to say you cannot mix special rules. Every example shown is when you cannot even share special rules with "friendly" models.

I stand by my statement: Enemy models cannot use special rules.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

Right, minus the IG "Telepathic Relay" special rule, for some odd reason they missed that... or left it out... or I like my eggs sunny side up. Every example shown is when you cannot even share special rules with "friendly" models true, but Telepathic Relay still says "any of your reserve rolls"

Also I still can't find a reference to that, I did find stuff like
    "However, note that not even Battle Brothers can embark in allied transport vehicles.

Allies of Convenience
    Can't benefit from the Warlord Trait of an allied character.
    Cannot be joined by allied Independent Characters.
    Are no counted as friendly units for the targeting of psychic powers."

but no specific "enemy models cannot use special rules" (which sounds even weird now that I read it, like if I'm playing against my opponent he can't use any special rules because he's considered an enemy? In reality, I get what you're saying though)
    Last edited by Turner; 10-16-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: A garbled mess, it needed a "space" to break things up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast