BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Csm faq

I like that they don't push things out too frequently. Back in the day, every White Dwarf issue had a 1-2 page Chapter Approved section with Errata, clarifications, and FAQs. It was a complete nightmare for all the players to keep current on, and since it was written by different studio members it could be wildly inconsistent. I would appreciate a standard release schedule though. If they released FAQ updates, for example, every 6 months on a specific date, then the nets would at least know when to expect changes.

Having said that, I don't think the Studio is letting anyone hang, I just think they are isolated from the community. They probably finished with the Chaos Codex months ago and are currently playtesting the next 2 or 3, using the Chaos Codex RAI, because they are a close-knit group that would come up with a consensus on what is in there, and probably don't have WAAC or rules lawyers in their group.

Chapter-Master

GW's own business blurb repeatedly says they are a miniature manufacture, a toy soldier company. The rules are an aside. Our US cousins may be used to people waiting on them hand and feet and wishing them: 'Have a nice day' but I don't think that is what GW rate asgood customer service ie speedy faqqing. Actually as long as they keep replacing missing items or miscasts without quibble I will exercise patience with their faqs...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    GW's own business blurb repeatedly says they are a miniature manufacture, a toy soldier company. The rules are an aside. Our US cousins may be used to people waiting on them hand and feet and wishing them: 'Have a nice day' but I don't think that is what GW rate asgood customer service ie speedy faqqing. Actually as long as they keep replacing missing items or miscasts without quibble I will exercise patience with their faqs...
    Yeah... they SAY that all the time. What do you think would happen to their sales if they discontinued the game side altogether? More to the point, their company name is GAMES Workshop. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsog View Post
    So if I translate that:
    "GW is too big to worry that someone may walk away from their products".

Did I get that right?

It's not about patience or any of that. It's about good customer service. It's stupid to miss an opportunity to make customers more happy with your product when it really wouldn't cost you anything. Just plain stupid. They've already got the channels to say "we've had some questions, here's some short term answers on what we think about them". I'm not saying they need to answer every question ,but sticking their head in the sand is silly.
    2011 revenue: 62 million pounds. How much you spent: 300? maybe 400? Yeah.

I wouldn't say they're sticking their head in the sand. Since you know, they've been coming out with FAQs quicker, you're just complaining that it takes them all of more than two whole weeks. My god, those selfish pricks! How dare they ignore the screams of internet as*holes worldwide!

And no, producing a rules update isn't "free". Someone will have to do it, and that someone is paid a salary, and it has to be playtested, reviewed, cleared with upper management, written, and coded, all of which takes time and time is money. Think a GW exec gives even two sh*ts about you? No. Mainly because they know that if you put on your big boy shorts, you could wait a few weeks after the release of a new edition, starter box, codex, army book, numerous models, distribution of said products and a million other things, I'd say it's a godd*mned miracle we get FAQs at all.

I'm not saying the FAQs are dumb or trying to insult you, but seriously. Two weeks. You're complaining after two. Weeks. Lets see how long Apple (renowned corporation known for its customer service) takes for a turnaround or patch update: iTunes update: 4 months. Apple TV: 5 months. OSX Lion: 3 months.

You're complaining about two. weeks.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Yeah... they SAY that all the time. What do you think would happen to their sales if they discontinued the game side altogether? More to the point, their company name is GAMES Workshop. Think about it.
    I don't think anything happens to their sales by taking as long as they have been on FAQ release so what's your point?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    2011 revenue: 62 million pounds. How much you spent: 300? maybe 400? Yeah.
    Arguing "GW doesn't give two sh**ts" about me just tells me you're not even paying attention to what I was saying. Am I mad or impatient they don't have a rule update? no.

I just think they're missing an opportunity to provide better customer service. And not spend money having their customer service people sort through the same email over and over again. Did that occur to you? I'm not demanding they answer difficult questions. I'm just saying that in this day and age, when there's an editorial issue (i.e. ERRATA, not FAQ), they should regard it as a bit of a priority.

I've been in the same boat where I've had a product that's had a problem and our front line people end up walloped by customers. Arguing they don't care about customers is also arguing they don't care about their employees. the reality is they _only_ make 62 million a year. That's not a large company by any stretch. Certainly not one that can afford to take customers for granted as you suggest.

Edit: And "it really wouldn't cost you anything" is a bit of an idiom for "won't cost a significant amount",not zero. that may have confused you.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Battle-Brother

I think GW wants to wait til they have a goodly-sized batch of issues before releasing a FAQ. Doing it in drips and drabs is not efficient. However, someone did mention their blog, which I think would be a great place for them to acknowledge that they know there's an issue, state a temporary solution/ruling until the FAQ is released, and everyone gets satisfied. But putting out a FAQ on three issues is just about as silly as putting out three FAQs and still not addressing a given codex's most ambiguous issue....

What? Why is everybody looking at me like that?

Occuli Imperator

Point of Information:
    The complaint or comment here wasn't that it has taken GW two weeks to release a new FAQ for the new Codex: Chaos Space Marines, it is that the FAQ for the previous codex was available on the GW Website for two weeks after the new codex came out..
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

They release shoddy products where the creators of the army lists etc seem to skip a proof reading stage, forgetting who they are marketing thus product too.

People go over these books with a fine toothed comb and they need to be VERY detailed in what the rules mean.

You'd think GW was a newb company in how they explain things most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    I like that they don't push things out too frequently. Back in the day, every White Dwarf issue had a 1-2 page Chapter Approved section with Errata, clarifications, and FAQs. It was a complete nightmare for all the players to keep current on, and since it was written by different studio members it could be wildly inconsistent. I would appreciate a standard release schedule though. If they released FAQ updates, for example, every 6 months on a specific date, then the nets would at least know when to expect changes.

Having said that, I don't think the Studio is letting anyone hang, I just think they are isolated from the community. They probably finished with the Chaos Codex months ago and are currently playtesting the next 2 or 3, using the Chaos Codex RAI, because they are a close-knit group that would come up with a consensus on what is in there, and probably don't have WAAC or rules lawyers in their group.
    They listened to peoples dislike of haphazard entries like chapter approved and simply replaced them adverts!!! HA!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast