BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Is this a Crazy Idea for Paint Storage?

I was thinkin of going on Ebay, or a similar websight, and buying a Cigar Humidor to store my paints in.

Between changing jobs, changing cities, and now changing diapers, I havn't done any painting in awhile. But I finally pulled some paints out to get some new models done, and touch up some old ones, and alot of my paints had dried up.

So, I wondered if I bought a cigar Humidor, and kept my paint pots in it, if the humidor can keep enough humidity around the paint pots, perhaps the paint wouldn't dry out.

What you guys think? Anybody actually know anything about cigar Humidors?

Chaplain

Theoretically it makes sense, but it seems a bit of an expense to 'try' to save paint pots from drying out.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

As a considerably cheaper alternative you may want to just get a decent wooden box from wherever and the piece from the Humidor that keeps it humid It's basically a sponge (much like the green sponge material you can get from a florist) that you soak in water every so often.

Brother-Captain

I use a guitar humidifier. They cost around $5 at a music store, and are basically super-dense sponges that are small enough to fit inside of a guitar case, and they don't leak. You do have to refill it about once a month, but that only takes about 10 seconds.

Yep, your as mad as a box of frogs.........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Sergeant

um... have u tried adding a few drops of water to your paint... that should work.

Be careful adding water or trying to revive old paint- you can end up with chalky or off-texture paint, because even though you can thin acrylic with water and to some extent wash the pigment out of dry acrylic- there is still some chemistry happening when the acrylic dries that basically turns the paint into an air-cured plastic.

A humidor is a good idea.

Also keep the pots clean- I have paints that are many years old and are still good.

Finally- if you use most of a pot of paint you won't be able to store the left-over paint for very long because the air in the pot can dry out a small amount of paint left- so if you are near the end use it all, or maybe you can find a really small container. Possibly one of the small kit sets like the ones that come with some of the GW sets could work, but those pots aren't the best.

What I do is use brand new pots for painting the neat color and half empty or less for mixing colors/drybrushing.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

If you do a search on Igloodors, you can pretty much find out how to turn your cooler (or any box) into a humidor which might be a good place to store paints. Spanish Cedar is the wood used in most humidors. Green oasis found at any Michaels or Hobby Lobby, distilled water and a tupperware style container will make a cheap humidifier.

If money isn't a concern, check out the Humidor Store and take a look at their cabinets. I own the Commercial Model 50 for my stogies. Take a look at the commercial model 200...

Imagine storing your paint and whatnot in the humidified bottom and diplaying your models in the glassed top. at $1400 to $1900, its a drop in a bucket.

Initiate

I use a humidor that I got as a grooms man's gift from a wedding to store my paints. It makes a good sturdy box and my paints seem to last longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast