BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I like Independence Day, as simple action films go it is quite enjoyable. Not pretentious, not too silly, just an entertaining alien invasion film.
    Want a smoke well nuking an Alien mothership?
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Engrish?!!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Engrish?!!
    NO Engrish, u have chow-mien?
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

I was highlighting your last post, it made no sense...
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I like Independence Day, as simple action films go it is quite enjoyable. Not pretentious, not too silly, just an entertaining alien invasion film.
    It was good as Jeff Godblum was playing himself, plus loved having Brent Spinner as the crazy scientist
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I was highlighting your last post, it made no sense...
    If you keep this up you will make me redundant
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    It seems to me that the closest analogy to space combat today would be submarine vs. submarine warfare. Hostile environment, any major breech likely means the whole crew dies, relatively little hope of rescue in a crippled vessel, no visual sighting of the enemy, very few projectiles but each one is enormously expensive and powerful, the first ship to detect the other has a huge advantage, etc. etc. -Not very visually exciting though.
    I suppose one of the closest analogies to that then, at least in 'science fiction people have watched' would be the nebula battle in The Wrath of Khan, where thanks to the radiation, there's no shielding, practically no sensors and visuals are pretty much down to the mkI eyeball. Aside from the impressive-on-that-budget effects and the surprisingly well done tension in the scene, it's quite a quiet battle scene, more akin to a sniper duel than a tank battle.

Which is odd considering Trek's battle scenes tend to be really, really bad for realism and such.
    I ALONE SHALL BEAR THE CAKE.

Quote Originally Posted by Up The Walls! View Post
    I suppose one of the closest analogies to that then, at least in 'science fiction people have watched' would be the nebula battle in The Wrath of Khan, where thanks to the radiation, there's no shielding, practically no sensors and visuals are pretty much down to the mkI eyeball. Aside from the impressive-on-that-budget effects and the surprisingly well done tension in the scene, it's quite a quiet battle scene, more akin to a sniper duel than a tank battle.

Which is odd considering Trek's battle scenes tend to be really, really bad for realism and such.
    Sort of. Visibility being "down to the mkI eyeball" would leave a ship in a nebula almost entirely dysfunctional, and the odds of two ships running into each other in one would be (literally) astronomically low. Nebulas are huge and the effective range of the eyeball is, in comparison, tiny.

First-Captain

As much as I love Star Wars and Firefly...I think the White Star from Bablyon 5 takes the cake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Babylon_5_-_White_Star.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	3123
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250px-Babylon_5_-_White_Star.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	3122  
    Last edited by scadugenga; 10-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

In terms of iconic, and in terms of personal attachment, this is a personal favourite. Number one because it completely rejigged everything we knew about spaceship design for science fiction, number two because I spent two weeks building the model in c4d a few months back.

For learning to do CG modelling, there are few designs out there better than Matt Jeffries' Type Nine Constitution-class Heavy Cruiser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saratoga 6.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	3124  
    I ALONE SHALL BEAR THE CAKE.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789