BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default Can IG Ordnance Fire at a Target Inside Its Minimum Range?

It would seem p34 says yes, it just has to be fired indirectly. Now that the Collossus and Griffon no longer are limited to indirect fire I wonder if they've suddenly become viable in a build other than a firebase.

I think it pretty clearly states you can do so or the extra qualifications just make no sense.

You risk it scattering back on yourself when you do it though if you're <= 12" or even more if it's a multiple barrage (depending on blast size).
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Veteran-Sergeant

Are you 100% sure you mean ordnance and not barrage? If so, no ordnance weapons may not fire within their minimum weapon's range. That said, barrage weapons can if they fire indirectly.

The colossus and griffion can fire directly now and if they fire indirectly they may fire within their minimum weapon's range.

Pop quiz, can a colossus fire it's ordnanace barrage weapon indirectly if has moved in the previous movement phase? Please explain your answer using references from the main rulebook.

Librarian

@Turner
    Why can't the Colossus fire within it's min range? I don't see any reference under Ordnance that over rides the rule that allows Barrage weapons to fire withing their minimum range.
    The IG FAQ states to remove the 'direct fire' reference.

Yes the Colossus can move and then fire it's Siege Mortar.
    Rules p71 Vehicles and Ordnance: vehicles can move and fire with Ordnance weapons...but then can only make Snap Shots with its other weapons. There is no restriction with Barrage and moving a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    Are you 100% sure you mean ordnance and not barrage? If so, no ordnance weapons may not fire within their minimum weapon's range. That said, barrage weapons can if they fire indirectly.

The colossus and griffion can fire directly now and if they fire indirectly they may fire within their minimum weapon's range.

Pop quiz, can a colossus fire it's ordnanace barrage weapon indirectly if has moved in the previous movement phase? Please explain your answer using references from the main rulebook.
    Good catch on the title... but probably not a difference that is going to come up in practice as I don't know of (yet) any non-barrage ordnance with minimum range, etc.

EDit.... oops.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Rules p71 Vehicles and Ordnance: vehicles can move and fire with Ordnance weapons...but then can only make Snap Shots with its other weapons. There is no restriction with Barrage and moving a vehicle.
    Does this mean that if vehicle remained stationary, it can fire all of its weapons with its normal ballistic skill?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Does this mean that if vehicle remained stationary, it can fire all of its weapons with its normal ballistic skill?
    Rulebook p71: Moving and Shooting with Vehicles: (note that Heavy and Fast vehicles have different restrictions-see p83)
    A vehicle that remained Stationary can fire all of its weapons (pivoting on the spot does not count as moving).
    Move Combat Speed, may fire a single weapon at full BS, and may fire Snap Shots with other weapons.
    Cruising Speed, may only make Snap Shots

And the Colossus Siege Mortar and Griffon Heavy Mortar are both Ordnance Barrage.

Stationary doesn't let you fire all your weapons at full Ballistic Skill. It just lets you fire all your weapons - which, absent any other rules, occurs at full Ballistic Skill. Firing ordnance is another rule, so a stationary vehicle that fires ordnance can still only fire its remaining weapons using Snap Shots.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 10-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Stationary doesn't let you fire all your weapons at full Ballistic Skill. It just lets you fire all your weapons - which, absent any other rules, occurs at full Ballisic Skill. Firing ordnance is another rule, so a stationary vehicle that fires ordnance can still only fire its remaining weapons using Snap Shots.
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    on p71 at the very bottom right under Vehicles & Ordnance:
    ...vehicles can move and fire Ordnance weapons. However, a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make Snap Shots with its other weapons.

...vehicles can move and fire Ordnance weapons.
    Yeah, only thing i wanted to make sure was because there was moving -aspect