BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Old Washes vs new Shades.

I'm on my third pot of Nuln Oil.

This confirms it for me. The new Shades are turd.

Has anyone else encountered this? Every Shade I've used leaves a hideous glossy shine where it collects and pools in recesses, like the old Inks used to. The old Washes never had this problem.

I really hope they get this formulation issue sorted, as the Washes were some of the best products they ever released painting-wise. These new Shades just aren't up to snuff at all.

Chapter-Master

I liked the old inks.

But I used them to make coloured metallics like they used to make...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post

Has anyone else encountered this? Every Shade I've used leaves a hideous glossy shine where it collects and pools in recesses, like the old Inks used to. The old Washes never had this problem.

I really hope they get this formulation issue sorted, as the Washes were some of the best products they ever released painting-wise. These new Shades just aren't up to snuff at all.
    I made the switch to Secret Weapon washes because of this reason, the soft body black is awesome and I won't be switching back to GW washes any time soon.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Not really having an issue with them.

On account of limited artistic ability, I follow the guides fairly closely. Base, layer, wash, layer, glaze. I find that eliminates the sheen quite nicely. With the old ones, I tended to use the wash as the final stage. Which works really nicely on Skaven!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post

You need to shake them. The new Shades are a lot better, they give a better colour coverage, they're not just for slapping over a model and calling it done, you shouldn't be letting anything pool anywhere.

Librarian

You need to shake them.
    I do. It hasn't helped so far. I've shaken them like they owed me money; this has achieved the grand sum of nothing.

they're not just for slapping over a model and calling it done, you shouldn't be letting anything pool anywhere.
    Well obviously. The Shades that I have used, when they collect in the recesses, go shiny, in a way the old Washes never used to. I was curious as to whether other people had experienced the same problem as me, or whether I had simply "rolled a lot of ones", shall we say?

I've not had this problem.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Nope me neither. And i've used a lot of both old and new washes recently.

I have noticed GW plastic glue is now ****, but not the washes
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I preferred the old inks to the washes, and it seems like the new Shades are a blend of the two, which I like. Depending on the mixture of shade/water you are using, this could happen, I had it happen a little bit on the last model I worked on, but I wanted that effect, so I put it on very heavy. I matte spray everything after I'm finished, so I haven't noticed any glossyness after the fact.

It seems like the new shades have a slightly higher surface tension than the washes did. I used to mix glazing medium into the washes sometimes to get the consistency I wanted, if I didn't have any of the old ink in that color to mix in. You could try using Liquitex flow-aid to modify the surface tension, but you have to use an extremely tiny amount, 1 part flowaid to 10 parts water and then 1-1 or 2-1 that with your shade. You have to make sure to give it a spray varnish afterwards though, because it will have a tendency to rub off.

Brother-Captain

I haven't had this problem, and I've been using Nuln Oil pretty extensively for my Necrons.
    The differences between the old washes and the new shades that I have noticed are pretty negligible in terms of a side-by-side comparison. I'm not sure I could tell models from before or after apart at this point if I were to go back and try.

Not sure what to tell you. =/
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast