BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question Ultramarine Blue ---> Altdorf Guard Blue? What the heck?

I know that they changed the color names on the new paints and I know why they had to do it. Here's my question...

Why, oh why, would they name Ultramarine Blue "Altdorf Guard Blue" as opposed to (oh, I don't know) Macragge Blue or Guilliman Blue??? Both those colors exist, but neither one is related to old Ultramarine Blue. In fact, Macragge Blue is the old Mordian Blue? That makes not a lick of sense! If there is sense in it that I don't see, please enlighten me.

That is all.
    http://astramalleus.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by atreides View Post
    I know that they changed the color names on the new paints and I know why they had to do it. Here's my question...

Why, oh why, would they name Ultramarine Blue "Altdorf Guard Blue" as opposed to (oh, I don't know) Macragge Blue or Guilliman Blue??? Both those colors exist, but neither one is related to old Ultramarine Blue. In fact, Macragge Blue is the old Mordian Blue? That makes not a lick of sense! If there is sense in it that I don't see, please enlighten me.

That is all.
    Probably so there not even a remote link between the 2 ranges.

Chapter-Master

Especially odd given the Altdorf uniform colour is red and blue. Middenland would have been a better choice.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

And ceramite is grey, not white.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by atreides View Post

That is all.
    You contradict yourself. Firstly, they didn't have to do it - they could have made the new paint formula in any pigment ie same as before and called it the same as before. Secondly, the reason they changed names, is the same as the fact that the closest equivalent colours to the old paints are slightly different shades. So you would be compelled to buy the new paints. And if you don't want to be mixing and want their easy shade/highlight formula, the fact that Ultramarine blue is gone means to replace 1 pot you need 3.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    You contradict yourself. Firstly, they didn't have to do it - they could have made the new paint formula in any pigment ie same as before and called it the same as before. Secondly, the reason they changed names, is the same as the fact that the closest equivalent colours to the old paints are slightly different shades. So you would be compelled to buy the new paints. And if you don't want to be mixing and want their easy shade/highlight formula, the fact that Ultramarine blue is gone means to replace 1 pot you need 3.
    not really, specifically because they didn't OWN the previous formula, it was actually bought by them from coat de arms. Ergo when they converted to in house paint production they did not have the formula used to produce "ultramarine blue" nor did they own the name to "ultramarine blue" (an actual colour) as such it was impossible for them to match the pigment so they are better off re-naming the line for both legal and market reasosn.