BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Justice View Post
    It was poorly written, grasping article and simply said, "I'm ignorant of this, please create the original content relating to it that I was unable to below the line."
    Agreed. It really was one of the more badly written things I've ever seen on the front page of BOLS. Basically "Here's my opinion! It is an opinion that's mine! I really believe in it! Some of you might not, but that is okay!" There is no explanation or evidence why he feels the way he does.

I really did not get it. You've got a beef with fluff? In a sci-fi game? It is so out in left field I don't even know how to begin to argue with it.

It wasn't a good article at all.

I also don't care - I play my way, and I have fun, and that's all that matters. I play these games for roughly the same reasons I play RPGs - I like telling stories. It's a painting, modelling and playing hobby which lends itself very well to storytelling - individual battles, individual combats (challenges), or linked games and campaigns.

BOLS' frontpage often feels alienating, but the forums are fun.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

One wonders why he plays GW based wargames then. There are far more statistically based wargames out there to test your mettle.
    If it comes down to gaming for the sake of the fairness, accuracy or statistics, then you are far better off playing a game that is not fantasy related. Beating someone with the same type of options and unit choices is a better way of proving your strategic superiority over your buddies.
    40k is far better suited to playing for the story of the universe it is set in. We all know its not really balanced, and never will be (eg. "i've beaten your Tau with my netlist GK, arent i great"). We play it because it IS 40k and we love the universe it is set in.
    Last edited by Popsical; 10-28-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    One wonders why he plays GW based wargames then. There are far more statistically based wargames out there to test your mettle...
    Seriously. Infinity, for example, is infinitely more tactical than 40k. WarmaHordes is probably at least a little more tactical than 40k. Flames of War is apparently much more tactical, too, though I've never played it myself. Warhammer 40k is lots of fun, but it isn't actually that great a game. The game is adequate to the purposes of enjoying one's self with the minis, but there are so many bad matchups and killer combos that it's impossible to call it a truly hard-minded and tactical game.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Here's the deal: 80-90% of the articles posted to the front page are poorly written garbage. But it's their site, and they get to choose which makes it to the front. Truth be told, I rarely read any of the front page articles because they are so often devoid of interesting thought or content. GentleBens articles are the class of the website by a long shot.

But Mercers article clearly delineates the very fact that people are in this hobby for different reasons. He's obviously in it for competitiveness and to create an attempt to express his "manhood" through victory in the game. I'm in it for story telling and as an excuse to hang out with friends and relax. When I'm looking for experience I play rugby or lift weights or do something that is more in the realm of physical competition. There's many like both of us, I'm sure, so it really is to each his own.

With all that said Ill reiterate the fact that the majority of the front page articles are Shyte. If you want intelligently written discourse you're actually more likely to find it in these forums as opposed to being posted by Mercer or Goatboy or the rest of the BoLS crew.

www.queencityguard.com

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Honestly,

There hasn't been anything really worth reading on the front page in a long long time.

I just come here to chat/argue with you guys in the forums these days.
    Yeah, nail on head. Most articles on the front page just link back to the forums anyway. The article in question was pointless drivel.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Just read the piece, and it is a load of effluent. I have nothing polite to say, or that is in acceptable language for the forum.

Shas'o

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because
    Those Who Mind Don't Matter
    and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”
    -- Dr. Seuss
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Grabula, I can't express enough how refreshing it is to read constructive, critical posts on a forum. Anyone could have devolved into a frothing CAPS-LOCK riddled rant spewing forth profanity that would make nuns weep in their sleep. Instead, you thought everything out and presented your opinion as you did.
    Kudos, sir. I clap for you.
    As for Mercer's article, in a strange way, I can kind of see where he comes from almost. There are times, admittedly, when I am playing a game of FB and 40K, joking with fellow players, and I stop and think, "Man, this is really nerdy. What am I doing?" I'm in law enforcement, so the whole "Macho" thing can be a big deal at times. But, when it gets down to it, -everyone- nerds out about something, and no one should be embarrassed by it. One of most "macho" officers I work with, who is a bodybuilder and total ladies man, is also a huge Anime fan and obsesses over anything Final Fantasy.
    I guess what I'm trying to get at is, it takes all kinds, and Mercer clearly feels...inadequate? Maybe someone got under his skin. It happens. I'll give the man the benefit of the doubt.

This thread is deemed extra-heretical for massive self indulgent whining about how other people choose to enjoy their 40k.

=][=

----------------------------------

I mean really, what was it about that article that set people off? I read it three times, was not offended by any of it, and I'm the kind of 40k player that wants to know why two loyalist armies are killing each other when I see them facing off in a game.

Why care at all how or why he plays? Or was it that the term 'fluffy bunny' you felt had a negative connotation?

Seriously, Blood for the Blood God, Souls for the God Emperor, we're all different, but all the same. We don't need to tear down people for not agreeing with us. Tear people down when their acts truly warrant it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12