BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default UK Throne of Skulls October 2012 1500pts Tyranids

I've just completed the write up for my first Battler Report from this months Throne of Skulls.

Tournament headlines:
    I was nominated for best army [seven were nominated out of 140 competing]
    My mate Liam was nominated once again for his Dark Eldar
    My mate Otty was also nominated for best army
    Otty won 'The Scribe's Quill' - the award for best designed army list
    Out of five games I won four!!! [what the flip!] Yep folks, my weak force with weak nids won four!!! Ben worked out I came something like 26th!
    I faced:
    Andrew Bruce's Grey Knights, similar list to my friend Pete B's but was hammered on kill points.
    Jim Klapkowski's Ravenguard,
    Phil Elliott's [of [url]www.4tk.co.uk][/url] Blood Angels Mech,
    Andreas Kkounnous's Imperial Guard [Squats],
    Sean O'Sullivan's fluffy Necrons,
    Liam won 2 out of 5
    Ben won 3 out of 5 [losing only to the best Nid and Tau players with five wins each!]
    Otty won 3 and drew 1 out of 5 [yes with nids!]
    Necron's were there in force and the seven flyer Necron air force was in for a lot of stick
    Equally the five Tervigon list that my mate Ben lost to [as well as 4 other players] wasn't a pleasant match.
    The highest average army score went to ... Eldar!!!
    The lowest average army score went to ... Dark Angels!!! [bring on the new codex]
    Surprisingly the new kid on the block Chaos Space Marine army average was 2nd last!

[URL="http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/throne-of-skulls-2012-prologue.html"]First the Introduction.[/URL]So [URL="http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/throne-of-skulls-oct-12-battle-1.html"]first part is here.[/URL] And [URL="http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/throne-of-skulls-oct-12-battle-1_30.html"]second part here.[/URL]

Congrats, voted for you for best army. Shame they didn't let you use the quad gun. Do you knwo who won the best monument award? there were a lot of good entries.

There were quite a few Nid lists there doing well, that all tervigon list looked evil though.

Agree surprised to see so few chaos armies but i guess it will take a while for people to really get to grips with the new list.

As I'm too lazy to write up my own thread:

I took beast heavy dark eldar with an allied avatar and a Bastion.

Won 2, Lost 2, Drew 1 but the first four games were very close and could have won all four.

1) Versus grey knight henchmen with kill points - was doing fine turn 5 7:1 up turning to 9:8 down by the end due to a single challenge costing me 5 KPs in one go (Baron, Hellions, Haemonculus, Wracks and warlord )
    2) Versus fairly standard Space wolves list with a few tanks, grey hunters, long fangs etc. - Crusade I think. Beasts eventually broke through and pushed the wolves off their objectives whilst holding mine.
    3) Versus Dark angels deathravenwing list - Scouring I think. Was doing great at turn 5 again but Sammael [only surviving enemy model] shrugged off everything and bounced all my troops off the objectives in teh last 2 turns leaving a draw on secondaries.
    4) Versus Necrons death star [Stormlord, Zandrekh, Obyron, 2 chrono crypteks and lychguard in one unit] - Capture and control- That unit is b@st@rd hard to kill (didn't get a single character in the end just one cryptek and one lychguard) and with Obyron can go where needed but he left his objective comparatively unguarded and I was able to zip a raider down and take it with wracks whilst contesting mine to win.
    5) Versus Vulkan marines with 2 thunderfires - Big guns - Horrible list versus my eldar, my beasts couldn't quite get up into his defense line and the avatar got hammernated. Highlight was shattering Vulkan on a 6 with the shattershard and nearly squeaked a draw on objectives but indestructible attack bikes and seven turns put paid to that. Final score not good.

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    Congrats, voted for you for best army. Shame they didn't let you use the quad gun. Do you knwo who won the best monument award? there were a lot of good entries.

There were quite a few Nid lists there doing well, that all tervigon list looked evil though.

Agree surprised to see so few chaos armies but i guess it will take a while for people to really get to grips with the new list.

As I'm too lazy to write up my own thread:

I took beast heavy dark eldar with an allied avatar and a Bastion.

Won 2, Lost 2, Drew 1 but the first four games were very close and could have won all four.

1) Versus grey knight henchmen with kill points - was doing fine turn 5 7:1 up turning to 9:8 down by the end due to a single challenge costing me 5 KPs in one go (Baron, Hellions, Haemonculus, Wracks and warlord )
    2) Versus fairly standard Space wolves list with a few tanks, grey hunters, long fangs etc. - Crusade I think. Beasts eventually broke through and pushed the wolves off their objectives whilst holding mine.
    3) Versus Dark angels deathravenwing list - Scouring I think. Was doing great at turn 5 again but Sammael [only surviving enemy model] shrugged off everything and bounced all my troops off the objectives in teh last 2 turns leaving a draw on secondaries.
    4) Versus Necrons death star [Stormlord, Zandrekh, Obyron, 2 chrono crypteks and lychguard in one unit] - Capture and control- That unit is b@st@rd hard to kill (didn't get a single character in the end just one cryptek and one lychguard) and with Obyron can go where needed but he left his objective comparatively unguarded and I was able to zip a raider down and take it with wracks whilst contesting mine to win.
    5) Versus Vulkan marines with 2 thunderfires - Big guns - Horrible list versus my eldar, my beasts couldn't quite get up into his defense line and the avatar got hammernated. Highlight was shattering Vulkan on a 6 with the shattershard and nearly squeaked a draw on objectives but indestructible attack bikes and seven turns put paid to that. Final score not good.
    Thanks for the vote isotope99. I didn't mind so much about the quad gun I was struggling to fit it pointswise in the army anyway. According to my pics the Monument award went to Brad Glover and his Necrork quad gun and defence line.

I totally loved his army and was surprised he didn't get nominated, I could only assume he didn't paint it but he told me he did. The only reason I could work out he didn't get a nomination was it wasn't a straight Codex army and was a total kit-bashed hybrid of Necrons, Orks and anything else in the mix, but I can't be certain. I thought it deserved a nod anyway.

Meanwhile the battle reports for my second battle are up [URL="http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/throne-of-skulls-oct-12-battle-2.html"]Part 1[/URL] and [URL="http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/throne-of-skulls-oct-12-battle-2.html"]Part 2.[/URL]