BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Which Power Weapon is the best?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Power Sword

9 18.37%
  • Power Axe

8 16.33%
  • Power Maul

9 18.37%
  • Power Lance (lol)

1 2.04%
  • Lightning Claw(s)

12 24.49%
  • Other (please state what/why)

10 20.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default The best Power Weapon?

So we've been in 6th for quite some time now with all its fancy changes to power weapons. Which have you found to be most effective? Is it the old standby, the power sword, or perhaps the shiny power axe? Let's run through the stats shall we?

Power Sword: S: User AP 3
    Power Axe: S +1 AP 2 Unwieldly
    Power Maul: S +2 AP 4 Concussive
    Power Lance: On the charge: S+1 AP3, otherwise: S: user AP4

Is the power weapon worth it? Would it be better to go with a single Lightning Claw for the same cost instead? How does the loss of the extra attack stack up to re-roll wounds? Or is it better to go full claws for double points?

I've found that the Maul is somewhat underrated overall. My Aspiring Champion wounding enemy sergeants on 2+ is pretty sweet as my poor champions also seem to whiff their wound rolls >.< Not bad for can-opening either. A good choice for guard too to go for S5 hits in melee. The sword is good on marines, but not so much on guard. I'm not sold on the axe, it seems like the poor man's powerfist.

So Loungers, how do you find power weapons in 6th? How do you equip your squad leaders?
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Iron Father

Warscythe, you get a S7 AP1 close combat weapon with Armorbane on an overlord.

Obviously this is a bit of a cop out as only Necrons can take em So besides the Warscythe I would have to say I like the Maul for everyone else.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Where is the love for the old power fist or thunder hammer? Not even on the list?

And are we talking just about marines or can any army chime in on this thread?

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Nightspawn View Post
    Where is the love for the old power fist or thunder hammer? Not even on the list?

And are we talking just about marines or can any army chime in on this thread?
    Oh yeah your right, TH are my number 1 choice on a terminator any day of the week.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

I love the Power Maul... It's so bad... =P

Chaplain

Warscythe FTW

Well if we are including race specific power weapons, then the Huskblade AP2 Instant Death ftw. Closely followed by the Agoniser, 4+ Poisoned AP3 isn't bad at all.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Bonesword + Lashwhip.

I think the weapon speaks for itself (probably does, actually).
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

It's between power sword and power axe, with power fist in close second.

The thing is, I don't think it's as simple as "best." If you've got an all-power weapon unit, you want some swords and you want some axes. If you have some power weapon squad leaders, the same applies, so you can aim them at different targets. Swords are generally better, because going last automatically is a huge disadvantage unless you are terminator-tough, but sometimes you need that axe to crack that 2+ save ******* or stand a chance of busting that tank.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I wouldn't bother with a regular power weapon if I had a choice, straight to the power fist/dual claws/race specific for characters and leave sergeants with regular weapons to get challenge punk'd so you can spend the points elsewhere. For people with automatic power weapons, I would stick with the sword for marine/necron killing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast