BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default A Three Hour Tour...

Hello everyone. I just returned from a 7-month deployment and was wandering if anyone would be kind enough to give a sort or re-cap of what i've missed out on. Thanks for the help
    Own the skies, Own the battlefield

Brother-Captain

The past 7 months for 40k...let's see...

~~~

-Umm...there was a White Dwarf supplement/model wave for several armies which gave Orks 3 different fliers, vanilla Marines 1 gunship and Necrons both of the flier options from their book.

-6th Edition came out, and among the changes it introduced fliers are actually a vehicle type, so the aforementioned models are not skimmers but legitimate fliers.

-The Dark Vengeance starter set came out; it's Dark Angels vs. Chaos Marines and the miniatures are drop-dead gorgeous.

-The new Chaos Marine codex came out, and the general consensus seems to be that it is an incredibly diverse but very well-balanced book; few options in it really stand out which is perceived by some as a blessing and others a curse.

~~~

I think that's it, really, for major 40k things...though I could be off on the flier wave - I don't remember exactly when that was.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Librarian

Also Daemons got a White Dwarf update for the Flamers, Screamers, Slaanesh got a couple chariots for 40K. They also released rules for them in Fantasy. The new CSM codex has also been given the longest Errata and FAQ ever (less than 1/2 a page). AB has released a new list builder for the CSM codex.

New models are out from Forge World. Many of which can be played in 40K, but were originally designed for the new Heresy era rule set supplement for 30K (using 6th edition rules). FW also released a lot of rule conversions for its miniatures on its website, and have released an IA Aeronitica book for their fliers.

Many of the newer miniatures being released for the new codex armies, and also Daemons is being released in Fine Cast. Most of use would prefer to have them in Plastic, as Fine Cast may give good detail, but has too many parts with bubbles, holes, pock marks and even lumps where the molds have degraded. I am not a big fan of Fine Cast as you can see. GW has released a new range of paints to replace the old one. It has paints specific to the role you want to use it for - base coating, dry brushing, etc.

GW has gone through a few changes with many stores becoming one man shows, which have to close during Lunch 1/2 hour or when the Manager wants to go for a toilet break. Many of the stores are closing on Monday and Tuesdays, and a lot of them have remove the tables used for public gaming, as one person can not watch the tables, sell the items, teach painting, show demo games, etc.

Oh, and GW has had another massive price rise on their products.

I can not think of anything else that GW has done that would effect your 40K gaming experience.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

You can throw grenades now.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

In the past 7 months, new stuff came out, the internet misread it, and then argued for months over points that never existed in the first place.

But seriously, 6th edition has changed the world in subtle but major ways, see also: wound allocation, vehicles, rapid fire weapons, snap shots, flyers, psykers.

"In the past 7 months, new stuff came out, the internet misread it, and then argued for months over points that never existed in the first place."

Dude! That's not news!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

Well, I'm guessing you're Imperial Guard so here are the changes I've noticed:
    Artillery can only fire directly between its minimum and maximum range, firing inside the minimum is always indirect
    Griffons and Collosai can now fire directly
    Leman Russes can fire all their weapons at full BS but can not move over 6"
    Harker still grants Stealth (which gives a minimum 6+ cover save in the open) and cammo cloaks just give +1 to cover saves, combined with the Aegis Defence Line you've got a 2+ cover save unit mwahahahahahaha. Sadly, flamers are more prevalent now as assault defense.