BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default GW goes hard over proxies - 100% GW in their tournament...

Just saw that GW have released the 2013 Throne of Skulls rules, for their tournaments at Warhammer world. At link:

[URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2730448a_Throne_of_Skulls_Rules_WHWorld_2013.pdf"]http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2730448a_Throne_of_Skulls_Rules_WHWorld_2013.pdf[/URL]

Of note, no proxies, and their definition of proxies.

Also, amusingly, 100% GW components!

Is this chapterhouse related or just GW getting tough?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I wouldn't say it's solely chapterhouse, but apparently some of their talk over the last gamesday expressed frustration at third parties releasing "generic" miniatures. It's a shame that they're cutting down the resources available to the players who want to take part in their tourney, but I can understand why, I suppose :/

Chapter-Master

I wouldn't say it was specifically chapter house related, they have had tournaments in the past with the 100% games workshop stipulation, a friend of mine entered the warhammer doubles maybe five years ago and it was much the same then
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

It has always been this way when GW runs their own event. I have been attending tournament since 2000 and this has always been the case. Non-GW events are usually pretty ok with using other models. I know in my gaming circle it has always been as long as the models are WYSIWYG and they can easily represent the models they are good to go.

Fly Lord

While I agree that it seems draconian - I have to come down with Games Workshop on this one.

They are a minis manufacturer and host their own events - it only makes sense to lock out the competition.

That said, there is a vibrant independent tourney/event scene growing out there, so no worries, let your conversion skills go crazy!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

While I can understand GW coming down this hard against non-GW models or even bits it doesn't really affect any of us here in the States. I mean they don't support any tournaments here and I can't really see GW putting on any tournament I'd want to go to over the likes of BAO, Adepticon, NOVA open, Wargames Con, or Feast of Blades to be honest. I understand they put out the rules and minis for the game I play but they basically said they were done with the tournament scene in America so whatevers Gdub.

Brother-Captain

I understand GW's stance on this, and it makes sense.

Personally I would find it a little upsetting, though, being unable to play with my IG or Thousand Sons armies - the IG all have heads from Pig Iron and my Thousand Sons are/will be heavily converted using a lot of custom bitz... At the end of the day each and every model has, at its core, at least the legs and/or torso from the basic GW kit from which is has been heavily upgraded. In other words, I've already paid GW the same money they would normally receive for those kits, and -on top- of that paid a good deal more to make them look truly unique.

Thankfully, I don't go to tournaments...so I guess you can take or leave my opinion/feelings on that basis alone. As you were.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

I think I agree with the general sentiment of this thread.

It's GW's game, GW can make the rules. However, I think it's a mistake. They're going to alienate a lot of players. The minis wargaming scene is a weird creative community with a lot of flow, a lot of give and take. It's part of what makes it so cool. With this draconian policy, they're basically telling a lot of the most creative players to go away, only people who use 100% GW parts are welcome. Well... GW isn't the only game in town - if they ever really were - and I don't think there are as many serious artists as their used to be who will still be able to participate.

But, hey, it's your game...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I don't know about stateside, but the accepted convention here (although never seen in writing) was 50% GW. I can empathise why they are doing it. However, by saying non non-GW components, that, RAW, denies the use of bitz from old toys or non-wargaming model kits - parties that aren't the competition. That would mean my Landraider on the chassis of an Emhar WWI tank (pictured) which I got permission to use at ToS before, would by RAW, be illegal. Which is a shame as Rogue Trader positively encouraged such creation.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Veteran-Sergeant

It is a GW event to show off and promote their models, I see no problem with the 100% GW rule at one of their own events.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast