BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think you forgot the most important one... Combat. You are correct that a mix of those is required but Combat should definitely figure into the equation otherwise Chaos Warriors are boned. They have good magic, mediocre movement, and non-existent shooting.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

I just have to disagree on that point. You see all the armies are good at combat. Most units end up having the same stats or close enough to the point that one doesn't have that much of an edge as the other on average. Yes there are units that are better than others but at the base unit to unit you are getting the same. Rolling the same average. What makes the average different or can be is your movement. If you control movement that is a game changer for combat. What difference does it make if you can have a million attacks if you are hit on the flank or worse the rear? If I can control my opponents movement combat means nothing. Same goes for shooting. If I can shoot at you, reduce your numbers even by one, I just took out a bonus resolution of rank bonus in combat. Magic same concept here. Combat is generic in terms of average. Not much to be gained there. Anyone who controls 2 of the 3 phases can potentially dominate the game (movement, magic and/or shooting).

Again about HE (which this thread is about), they are good at all three phases. It's just tricky to figure out which way you want to go. Do you want to dominate movement and magic? Personally I think that is a great combo. Do you want to own Shooting and Magic? Etc. That's what you would want to figure out. I would not stretch it out by trying to balance all three because HE are expensive point wise.
    Last edited by Solution9; 11-16-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Not all armies are created equal when it comes to combat. Take Skaven for example. Most of their units are terrible at combat. They win either through attrition or through static combat resolution modifiers. LIkewise, if I charge my unit of clanrats into the flank of the Chaos Warriors, I stand a better chance to win the combat, but the Chaos Warriors are still more likely to win because they are THAT much better at combat than my clanrats.

Again, I think if you only look at the 3 phases you are shorting yourself as some armies simply do not have the capability to dominate in certain phases of the game, yet they can still choose different playstyles and score reliable wins. I've seen Chaos Warriors with no magic and they do just fine without dominating two of the phases. Same goes for Chaos Daemons. I've seen Khorne armies with no magic (or tzeentch units) rip through an enemies army simply because of the combat prowess of their units. Minimizing this and saying that models are equal in combat is simply untrue. I can take 300 points of skaven clanrats against 300 points of chaos warriors and I guarantee you that the Chaos Warriors will will the lion's share of the fights. They key here is that you have to play to an army's strengths. My clanrats are not going to win by themselves... I use them and my slaves to lock units in combat and then charge them in the flanks with other units. This isn't "dominating" the movement phase... it's attrition warfare... i.e. "Throw enough bodies at it and I'll win".
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

The last time I played against Warriors of Chaos with my High Elves, I had to rely HEAVILY on magic, and one extremely well placed/timed/lucky charge from my Silver Helms.

Did you ever get in? I was just going to mention that you are better off buying a single IoB and 10 extra Lothern Seaguard from GW. Otherwise you have a unit of 17, not 20 because 3 of the guys on one sprew can only be made as a command group.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12