BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Chainswords

Battle-Brother

Default Chainswords

I looked through the forum and didn't see a mention on this so I apologize if this is a repeat, but... What is the point of a chainsword besides looking cool? I was looking in the DA Dex and at my DV Models, and I'm wondering why my Ravenwing Sargent has a chainsword instead of a Bolt Pistol. Wouldn't he be theoretically better off with a Bolt Pistol as it provides all of the benefits of a chainsword (it's a close combat weapon) and it does enable me to fire a pistol instead of a rapid fire weapon if I so choose? I just don't see a benefit of having a chainsword over a bolt pistol besides the fact that it's fun to paint chainswords.

Chainswords are just cooler CCWs, a pistol is better rules-wise but its best if you have both!

Chapter-Master

There's no reason to fire the bolt pistol, or shotgun (in the case of scout bikers), because bikes have Relentless.

It is there for visual effect.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Battle-Brother

OK, how about for my Sargent in the Tact squad who has replaced his Bolt Pistol with a Plasma Pistol. Wouldn't he rather have the Bolter in case he chooses not to risk the Gets Hot? Or would he somehow benefit from having a chainsword and a bolt pistol in close combat? Also, are 'Bolters' and Boltguns the same weapon? The DA dex refers to Bolters a lot, but there isn't a Bolter in the weapon profile.

With a chainsword and bolt pistol he gets a bonus attack for having 2 CCWs.
    Bolters and Boltguns are the same weapon.

Battle-Brother

Thanks for the info! In the end I guess the important thing is looking awesome, right?

Occuli Imperator

It is also a fall back to the military (British at least) that officers have swords to show rank, it makes them stand out and you can have them possing pointing the sword at the squad's focus of attack
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni