BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default doom scythe death ray

OK, I'm going nuts with the death ray. I'm getting to many answers and well, it's not FAQed properly yet.

it's about the shooting of the death ray. I couldn't find anything concrete about it (if there is, I'm sorry).

The gun seems hull mounted or at least it can't pivot that much so basically you have an arc of 45 degrees. I think many agree on this. The main thing is the straight line between the 2 points. Is it 360 or not. One of my friends stated that in most tournaments they FAQ it to be within the same firing arc. It does make sense but so many state 360 on the line drawn even if it doesn't make sense. I could compare it with the heavy incinerator that you can shoot that template at a super angle though making it almost 180 degrees. So yea, I'm still stumped on this one. I don't want a debate here. Pretty sure there's a couple out there but can't find them. I just want what is the final word going around until there is a FAQ (if any)

Thanks guys

I don't think there is anything to FAQ. "Nominate a point within 3d6" of the first" clearly allows that point to be on any bearing relative to the first - "360," as you call it. That does mean that a death ray could draw a line up to 18" "off-bore," or affect a model 30" away from the doom scythe. But there is no rule against that, and it doesn't offend my sense of intuition.

It's a ray, so I always imagined it as been shot from a single point, and the position changed by using mirrors / reflectors inside the weapon. Just like using a watch to shine light in your friends eyes, but with your friend being reduced to ash.
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

Librarian

I do think you need to use the firing arc of the weapon.
    This same argument came up in our group in relation to the Heldrake's baleflamer. Because it has the 'torrent' rule which simply states, "place the template so the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon".

Firing arc still seems relevant to me.

You can nominate the second point anywhere. Think of it not like you are firing backwards or other silliness, but that the beam was "swept" over the space as the vehicle moved. A strafing run if you will. The studio guys have played it that way a number of times.

I agree that the initial point should obey firing arc restrictions. But after that, the rules for the weapon apply. In the case of a death ray, the second point only needs to be within 2d6". The weapon is not drawing a line of 3d6" length entirely within the weapon's firing arc. That just isn't what the rule says to do.

Brother-Sergeant

the death ray looks to be turret mounted and i am pretty sure has a 360 arch. the tesla destructors are hull and limited to 45.

Flip it over and look unless you assembled it wrong the DR is not mounted directly to the hull of the scythe.