BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Dirge for the Fallen

This evening, I left home with more than 1850 points of Space Marines, all of them painted in Blood Angels red, with shoulder pads I'd freehanded myself. There were lots of conversion pieces I was really proud of, from the terminator librarian's force axe to my techmarine's servo-harness, to the chop job I'd done to turn an ancient and tiny rhino into a modern-sized vehicle. Also in that box were my tape measure, my dice, my dice bag, my templates, and the mini Dark Vengeance rulebook I'd bought off eBay.

Now, all of it's gone. Someone broke into my car - smashing my window - and stole, of all things, my army. All I've got now is my land raider and my drop pod, which were in a different case, the stormtalon I'd just bought, and the storm bolter termie librarian and seven tactical terminators that I'd left at home.

You know, I think I wish it had been another gamer who'd stolen my army. I really do. I wish I'd left them on the table at Endgame and some jerk had walked off with them. That way, at least, I know they're not going to just end up in a dumpster.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide the best way to replace my collection, and I'd really appreciate your advice. I can't just go out and buy all the kids I've lost. That would be almost $400. I have about 125$ on hand - a windfall from work.

I think what I'm going to do is buy the Dark Vengeance set. That will cover the replacing the mini rulebook, templates, one of my tactical squads, and a librarian. I guess I can always use more terminators - with five more, I can field ten and still have options for which weapons to bring to the table with no magnetizing necessary - and I've been curious about playing with bikes. I can use the company master as a captain or chapter master, or hack him up and put him on a bike for a biker captain - I haven't decided yet. Shaving off all that Dark Angels iconography will keep me entertained for a while.

The Chaos stuff? I'll have to find someone willing to buy or trade for it. Does anyone know how much I can expect to get for the Chaos portion of Dark Vengeance, or have any advice for selling it?

Honestly, I'm just really bummed. Tonight was such a great night - I had a really fun game, my guy won the election - and this... really sucks. It's more than just the inconvenience. Those models meant something to me. They were art, and they were beautiful. I'm not saying that I'm a Golden Daemon winner or anything, but I'm proud of the work I do. I worked hard on them, and now they're gone - probably into the trash. I'm just going to be bummed about this for a while.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Occuli Imperator

Are you possessions not covered by your insurance?
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Are you possessions not covered by your insurance?
    I don't think I have that kind of insurance.

We never got around to renter's insurance, but I don't think that would have covered things stolen out of my car anyway, would it have? And I have pretty cheap car insurance. And even if I had, I don't think they cover stolen possessions, either.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Ask around, check local classified and ebay etc and you may get lucky if someone puts it up for sale. Horrible thing to happen.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

I don't know how things works in the states, it is probably different for each one too.
    I know for my home insurance all of my possessions are covered even when away from the home (if that is their normal storage location) and I think my car insurance also covers gadgets left in the car.

It does suck. I think you might have to hit ebay hard and do the demoralising repainting
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

First-Captain

I'm sorry BOLS chum. I really feel bad for you.

Librarian

truly sorry to hear of your plight! i genuinely feel for you
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

get in touch with your car insurance company, this should be covered

Although i think you may have some luck with the insurance its the kind of loss that money cant fully repay. I'm very sorry to hear you lost your army mate, thats got to be gutting. Its not unheard of for folks in my area to have their cases stolen as people mistake them for tool boxes.

My advice would be to start something new, maybe something you have been putting off because of your current army commitment. Dont try and re-do everything you lost because thats just depressing and you may end up resenting to workload. Maybe in some time you can go back and finish off the army but until then i say start something new or maybe continue an old project.

Wow, thats terrible. I don't know what I would do if somebody stole my case. You will want to double check with both your car and renters insurance. As a renter you fall under the umbrella of your landlord's insurance (he has to have the appropriate insurance to allow people to rent, which also covers them if I remember correctly). You might or might not have luck, but if you don't try you will regret it later.

I would agree with Arda, don't try to replicate what was lost first. Get something going to take your mind off of it. And I wouldn't make a decision in the next couple of days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast