BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

That is awful. I've never completely lost an army in that fashion, although I have had catastrophic damage done to my armies before, so I know that nauseous feeling you get when you realize how much work that has been lost.

Usually when cases are stolen from vehicles, it is people looking for guns, and mistaking the figure cases for gun cases.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    That is awful. I've never completely lost an army in that fashion, although I have had catastrophic damage done to my armies before, so I know that nauseous feeling you get when you realize how much work that has been lost.

Usually when cases are stolen from vehicles, it is people looking for guns, and mistaking the figure cases for gun cases.
    Well, there were guns in there. Just not the kind he was looking for...

I'm actually very confident that I want to forge ahead with replacing this army ASAP. Maybe it's stupid, but I think I'd rather look back at my collection of minis, some of which aren't exactly what I wanted, and know I got back in the saddle right away then sit around staring at my hands, feeling sorry for myself, and missing game nights (or having to bring my Tau or my Blood Angels, neither of which I'm particularly into right now). If I get Dark Vengeance, I'll have a tac squad and a spare HQ option. If I can manage to trade the Chaos bits for at least a single tac squad, I'll be playing games again.

It all comes down to this: I think I'll feel better if I'm fixing things, even making mistakes, then I would be letting things stay broken and screwed up in the interests of making the "right" choice.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

It's hard to go wrong with the Dark Vengeance set, and you should be able to do an even swap for the Chaos stuff if you can find someone, so that you can double up on the Marine stuff.

I would recommend getting started...

Chapter-Master

Welcome to the new America. Where people feel that they're entitled to what you've worked hard to obtain and cherish.

Of course theft has always been around - however its never been this popularly approved.

I am sorry for your loss.

Veteran-Sergeant

When I had my Landrover stolen my insurance company tried everything they could not to pay out until I took them to court and explained to them what insurance was and then they paid up, it's never a nice fealing to have anything stolen but the best thing you can do is not dwell on it and get started with a new better army.

Brother-Sergeant

i agree that you should double check any/all insurance policies you have, to see if they will cover any part of your loss. Don't ever assume that they will or won't. In particular, look to see if they cover what you actually paid for the item, or if they cover the replacement value. That could make a difference, as what you actually paid for the models way back is likely far less than what it will cost to replace them, and your policy (assuming it will cover theft losses) may cover the replacement value.

I'd also say that even if it appears that the policy doesn't, talk to anyone at the insurance company you have a working relationship with--an agent, a salesperson, whomever. They might be able to point out options that aren't obvious from the policy language or point you to a department that may help.

I wish you well in getting a new army together. I think it's great that you are focusing on rebuilding and reclaiming your army, and hope you are up and running with it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Welcome to the new America. Where people feel that they're entitled to what you've worked hard to obtain and cherish.

Of course theft has always been around - however its never been this popularly approved.

I am sorry for your loss.
    I used to live not very far at all from the FLGS E-Pally is talking about. The store itself is in an ok area, but there are nearby areas that are lousy with crime and have been lousy for a _very_ long time.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsog View Post
    I used to live not very far at all from the FLGS E-Pally is talking about. The store itself is in an ok area, but there are nearby areas that are lousy with crime and have been lousy for a _very_ long time.
    Yeah, that's the way it often is. Some ***-bucket came wandering in from a nearby neighborhood. It happens. Honestly, there wouldn't have been anything in my car to steal, except that I had dropped my army back in my car in order to lug the orks I was selling over to the store and not have to carry everything back at once.

In a lot of ways, I'm lucky. They didn't bother to grab one of the two bags, so I still have my rogue-trader era land raider (and my drop pod, but whatever). They didn't grab the orks or eldar I'm selling for a friend - I'd be fully screwed if I had to replace those. They didn't grab my brand new stormtalon box sitting in the back seat.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I've had decks and collections stolen from my card games. It is impossible to just replace it on a budget. Not to mention the blood sweat and tears you've already put into the painting and building. Trying to precisely duplicate what was lost will be significantly more depressing than a new project.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Ask around, check local classified and ebay etc and you may get lucky if someone puts it up for sale. Horrible thing to happen.
    ^^^ This.

Here's a funny, but true story.

One of our local gamers many many years ago had two amazing WHFB armies stolen out of his car in much the same manner right in the parking lot behind what was then our local gaming shop. The community did some searching, but never ended up finding the minis.

Years later the owner of that LGS closed up shop, and one of his employees opened a place not too far away. We've spent several years gaming at this shop.

Not too long ago, an older guy came into the store with a few cases, cracked them open, and asked the employee working the counter if they would be interested in buying these figures. The guy didn't know what they were for, but knew that the shop sold them. The employee didn't know the figs, but thankfully one of the regulars was hanging out down there painting and immediately recognized the two armies that had been stolen many years ago.

Anyhow, he brought it up that those armies had been stolen. The older man seemed to genuinely not know about it. He said that many years ago his daughters boyfriend was living with them. When he finally kicked the boyfriend out, a lot of his belongings were left behind including these cases that the older man had never bothered to look through.

In the end, he gladly gave the cases over with many apologies, and our friend was reunited with both of his long lost armies something like 5-6 years after they had been stolen.

So, don't lose hope and do some ebay and craigslist searches over the next few months. You might be surprised to find it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast