BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 1500 Tyranids

Chapter-Master

I looked at your reply in DWest's thread and I'm starting to realize just how basic my army list is haha. Dakkafexes in pods, walking Tyrants with Armoured Shell, the Swarmlord, Ymgarls, etc. All look good as expansion opportunities, though the list itself would obviously have to be tweaked to gel with that stuff. Though I think Dakkafexes and Ymgarls work well with the Doom, though they would also draw a lot of firepower off my Tervigons.

As a spur of the moment thing I came up with this 1500 point army list template;

HQ
    The Swarmlord w/ tyrant guard w/ lash whip – 345

Elites
    Ymgarl Genestealers (8) – 184
    The Doom of Malan’tai w/ mycetic spore - 130

Troops
    Tervigon w/ catalyst, cluster spines, crushing claws, toxin sacs – 210
    Tervigon w/ catalyst, cluster spines, crushing claws, toxin sacs – 210
    Termagants (10) – 50
    Termagants (10) – 50

Heavy Support
    Carnifex w/ two brain-leech devourers, mycetic spore – 230
    Biovores (2) - 90

Tyranid lists with lots of reserves are still quite beyond me haha, when I get the Swarmlord I'll probably do that double-Trygon list I talked about earlier.

Looks like I might be trading my Grey Knights and Island of Blood Skaven for a bunch of Tyranids from two people; from memory, between them they have; a brood of Termagants, three broods of Hormagaunts, a brood of Gargoyles, a brood of Genestealers, a Mawloc, a foot Hive Tyrant (who I can easily cannibalise to change its weapon load-out), a Zoanthrope and I think a brood of either Raveners or Warriors. There might be more stuff. Though a lot of it would probably take a while to be incorporated, the more the merrier! Also Ymgarls
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-11-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Brother-Sergeant

A successful walking list I ran with the Swarmlord @ 1500 points... 5/1 record against Chaos x2 , Mech Guard, GK, Necrons & Tau. The loss going to GKs with Draigo, Banner, Paladins & Storm Ravens.

HQ:
    Swarmlord - 280 (4 Biomancy looking for everything but Life Leech & Hemmorhage)
    Prime (LW&BS, TS) - 105
    Tyrant Guard (LW) - 65

Troop:
    Tervigon (TS/AG/CC/Catalyst) - 220
    Tervigon (TS/AG/CC/Catalyst) - 220
    10 Devilgants - 100
    10 Devilgants - 100

Elite:
    2 Hive Guard - 100
    2 Hive Guard - 100

Heavy:
    Trygon (TS) - 210

1500 points

Swarmlord durability keeps this list alive. It certainly has it's weaknesses, but played conservatively with cover and FNP this list can own the center of the board and score objectives. Of course, the GKs had their way with me with Mindstrike Missiles taking 4 wounds off the Swarmlord and Paladins & Draigo using their Force Weapons to take out the Tervigons & Trygon.

I stopped playing it because it got boring to play.

Chapter-Master

That's very much like my earlier Swarmlord list, minus the Devilgants, Hive Guard and Tyranid Prime;

HQ
    The Swarmlord w/ tyrant guard - 340
    Tervigon (warlord) w/ adrenal glands, toxin sacs, crushing claws, cluster spines, catalyst - 220

Troops
    Tervigon w/ toxin sacs, crushing claws, cluster spines, catalyst - 210
    Termagants (10) - 50
    Termagants (10) - 50

Heavy Support
    Trygon w/ toxin sacs - 210

It is good because if I need Hive Guard I can always drop the HQ Tervigon or one of the Trygons. I've found though that I've done fine without them so far, but that is when using my Flyrants. Still, I say good luck to anyone trying to stop that on a 4x4.

Chapter-Master

Tyranids are probably going to win most of the time on a 4x4 board, even without terrain! Mostly because you can start so close to your opponent, and that they can't run away.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Yeah, essentially assault armies still work on 4x4s simply because the enemy cannot shoot you as much as they would normally be able to. It is a by-product of where I play, but assault-heavy armies actually aren't terrible where I am. It depends though. My 'Nid list for example would probably stomp most other assault-based armies into the ground because of the Tervigon/Termagant stuff, meaning I can hold up enemy units whilst taking objectives - not to mention having the Swarmlord essentially guarantees a "win" against any enemy deathstars (provided he doesn't get shot down). Shooting-heavy armies are still the best ones of course.

That's part of the reason I still know there is a lot for me to learn about the army, and that I am really not that good with them. I don't know how it is in other areas near my store, whenever regulars/tournament players from other areas come in they never mention the 4x4 thing - it could be that it is common down here. Though I imagine if I actually went to a tournament it would definitely be a 6x4.
    Check out my blog!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    That's very much like my earlier Swarmlord list, minus the Devilgants, Hive Guard and Tyranid Prime;

HQ
    The Swarmlord w/ tyrant guard - 340
    Tervigon (warlord) w/ adrenal glands, toxin sacs, crushing claws, cluster spines, catalyst - 220

Troops
    Termagants (10) - 50
    Termagants (10) - 50

Heavy Support

It is good because if I need Hive Guard I can always drop the HQ Tervigon or one of the Trygons. I've found though that I've done fine without them so far, but that is when using my Flyrants. Still, I say good luck to anyone trying to stop that on a 4x4.
    You guys play 1500 points on a 4x4? I was playing on 4x6... LOL I would feel bad for my opponent if I made him play on a 4x4 with Tyranids 6th edition. Fast Shooty armies are one of the few that we have a problem with. By taking away 2' of mobility, they would have no where to run and would die.

Chapter-Master

I am pretty sure it would be difficult for you to lose on a 4x4 with 1500 points of bugs. With just about any army design. I suggest taking some Pyrovores. I am pretty sure if you filled out your entire elites section with pyrovores, you would still win a 1500 point game on a 4x4.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I am pretty sure it would be difficult for you to lose on a 4x4 with 1500 points of bugs. With just about any army design. I suggest taking some Pyrovores. I am pretty sure if you filled out your entire elites section with pyrovores, you would still win a 1500 point game on a 4x4.
    Oh no he didn't! Lol.

That was why I said I don't chalk my wins up to skill.
    Still, if I was taking a non-TAC list against some of the opponent's I've faced I am confident I would have lost a few. Though I think tabling every player I've played against is a good indication that I have room to move

Hey, what do you guys think about (for my dual Flyrant list) dropping a Tervigon and Termagant brood, adding in a Trygon, and giving every Tyrant and Trygon Toxin as well as Adrenals on the Tervigons? Lot more offensive power than the army I currently have haha.

And still no sign of my orders

EDIT: Well, my mycetic spore arrived today, which means my second Flying Hive Tyrant is probably only a day or two away. The spore looks good, it is big and best of all, it was cheap. I'll use it in a game later during the week - I'll want to use my second Trygon and second Flying Hive Tyrant though, so I'll probably have to have a few army lists ready.
    I'll try and see which list performs the best ahead of my big clash on Sunday, one of;
    *Two Flyrants, two Tervigons, two Trygons
    *Two Flyrants, three Tervigons, one Trygon
    *One Flyrant, three Tervigons, two Trygons
    *One Flyrant, three Tervigons, one Trygon, the Doom

I could even try a list where each Tervigon loses their crushing claws and Adrenal Glands so that I can have a second Trygon for that fourth list idea - the Tervigons lose quite a bit of offensive punch but I gain another entirely offensive unit.

Of the ones listed, methinks the first or second one would be best - the first for the overall balance and redundancy of each unit, the second for its overwhelming number of units.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Check out my blog!

Chapter-Master

Got my second Flyrant the other day, and will likely have both the Swarmlord and a Tyrant Guard next week.
    Played a game against Necrons yesterday, I thrashed them despite the opponent being my toughest opposition in the league, his army list was decent, but I still absolutely reaved it and I am incoherent damn I am tired lol.
    Just an update on progress swiftly yeah.
    Check out my blog!

Chapter-Master

Two more annihilations Tried out a double Trygon one Flyrant triple Tervigon army, crushed some hapless Imperial Guard. I think I prefer double Flyrant one Trygon triple Tervigon though. Will be getting the Swarmlord this week and will be trying him out soon.
    Check out my blog!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast