BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

Hmmm. Humiliating people doesn't come from a sense of justice, it comes from a sense of revenge, and those two things aren't the same. This is kind of disgusting.

I'd make her sit with people who have lost children to people like her, and have them explain what happened. People commit crimes when they think they'll get away with it, and can abstract away the consequences, and pretend that no harm is being done. She's been caught, which is the first part, and as to the second part, it's harder to rationalise and justify callous idiocy when you're sat across from someone who has been harmed by actions like yours.

You know, unless you're an actual psychopath. Then nothing will help and you just need to be locked away.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    You know, unless you're an actual psychopath. Then nothing will help and you just need to be locked away.
    hey, where's your understanding of the psychotically inclined?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I've found humiliation is extremely effective and re-educating teenage boys, when a lot of their social interaction is based around bravado and maintaining an image. Against adults, not so much. It tends to just make them upset and cranky.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I don't know what situations you are referring to, but if you need to have any sort of ongoing relationship with them, humiliating them is the worst thing you can do for teenage boys, it just builds resentment.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

In this case referring to boys who made sexist remarks aimed at me in front of their friends. Yelling at them until they cry tends to reinforce it's bad, and I wouldn't say I'm resented by the survivors, just feared. It's not like I'm stripping them naked, painting their genitals blue and whipping them down the high street.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

They might enjoy that...

I also explain exactly why they are being yelled at, the emotional impact it can have on other less assured(or arrogant) females and whatnot, so it is a learning experience.

I don't think many teenage boys enjoy having their privates put on display and critiqued, they usually lack confidence in that department.

Chapter-Master

Do they? how odd

Chapter-Master

I hear TDA likes that sort of thing.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

He's certainly suggested as much before...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast