BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why We Play

when i was in high school a friend of mine brought in a copy of this brand new game. it was called warhammer 40k rogue trader. the fluff in the book is what really got me hooked. food for the imagination as it were. since then i have always taken part in at least one facet of the hobby. these days its mainly painting, but i can be coaxed into the occasional game from time to time. i still enjoy the fluff and i think that the black librbary is one of the best things that has happened to the hobby.

It's the background that does it for me. I love the dark, grittyness of the 40k fluff and modeling armies with depth and character.

Scout

Roleplying started it all for me. Then I saw Rogue trader and was blown away by the vast posability of modeling a three demensional battlle field for all to see. The models and story line of the Imperium of man in this dark, gothic game hauled me in even further. Soon there was debris flying and paint everywhere. I have been a die hard fan thru five reincarnations of the game now and have very few complaints. Now where can I find room for my new scratch built Thunderhawk?

Brother-Captain

Warhammer is one of the few areas where amateurs can paint and do other artistic things without looking overly foolish. After all, most of us are bad painters by an artist's standards, yet we can make really cool looking armies because the models are great and you can't see the mediocre paint job from 2 feet away

Not to mention that it's difficult to find a game that lets to meet so many new people, hang out with them for a few hours while playing a game, and exercise your mind muscles at the same time.

I've never cared for the world of 40k, but the other aspects of the game are too fun to pass up.

Battle-Brother

I play for the background, and to be a villain. Ever since I got the dark eldar in the 3rd edition starter set, I've been hooked on being the bad guy. Nothing more fun that taunting Blood Angels players about Sanguinius. :P

Brother-Sergeant

The background story started me in the game. John Blanche's artwork has supplied my "muse" if you will for my main army (Templar).

I have played since the very beginning of 3rd Ed.

Lately I have been struggling to stay in the actual "gaming" and modeling aspects of the hobby. But I still love the art, stories (I am totally addicted to the Ghosts, and the Heresy series), and background for the game.

-Eric

why do I play?

mainly because I was bought a LotR box set for christmas one year, and it gradually mutated into fantasy and then 40k, first through lack of oppnents, and then just how damned cool lizardmen were. so probably the background and the models dragged me through to fantasy, and then just a want to play more games and have a more complete collection led me to 40k. painting is a necessary evil, but it is more fun to play with painted marines than grey or black ones (no offence to space wolves or Raven guard)

Quote Originally Posted by Brambleten View Post
    (no offence to space wolves or Raven guard)
    none taken :P

Why do I play?

I started playing with second edition. I spent hours painting those exactly same orks and gretchin, no trukks, just footsloggers. I love the background, fluff, books, tanks and models... mostly models and possibility of converting.

I even love all those overpriced useless bits they release... but, I'm a 'company man' and buy all of them

Brother-Sergeant

When I was younger I would always look at the models and think "Boy those would be awesome to have". I just never had enough money. Then I started reading the fluff and money was no longer an object. I had to have them. Plus there's nothing like pushing the minis you've worked so hard on around the game table. So why do I play? The models, the background, the gameplay... It all comes together in a wonderful pile of glorious awesomeness!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by AsgeirArnald View Post
    When I was younger I would always look at the models and think "Boy those would be awesome to have". I just never had enough money. Then I started reading the fluff and money was no longer an object. I had to have them. Plus there's nothing like pushing the minis you've worked so hard on around the game table. So why do I play? The models, the background, the gameplay... It all comes together in a wonderful pile of glorious awesomeness!
    ....Are you me?
    Essenially exactly the same, but I bugged parentals to get me a few odds and ends. But no players so it was a needless expense. But now? I play because I like strategy, The fluff, and (most) of the Crunch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast