BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We Play

Default Why We Play

If I had a dollar for every complaint about 40k I've seen posted online, I'd be a rich man. Too simple, too complicated, too dark, too kid-oriented, etc. While the hobby admittedly has it's drawbacks, (IE: Price, lack of updates for certain armies) I feel that the positive outweighs the negative, otherwise, I wouldn't play the game. Odds are, you feel the same as I do, otherwise it is quite unlikely that you would be frequenting a 40k fansite.

The question I pose to you is this: Why do you play Warhammer 40,000?

Personally, the background is what drew me into it. The vastness of the dark, brooding galaxy of the 41st millennium is unmatched by any other tabletop game that I am aware of, and the moral ambiguity is far more intriguing than the clear "black and white" split between good and evil that permeates so many other settings.

Oh, and the models aren't shabby either; especially the Dark Angels Veterans. Marines in Robes have always been, and will always be awesome.

Brother-Sergeant

Really, the thing that got me into it were the models. ESPECIALLY the tanks, which is kind of funny because nowadays I mainly run a footslogging Death Guard army .

I remember being around 10 or 11 years old and walking into an LGS that has since closed down and watching these guys do battles in this ruined city with tanks all over and the atmosphere really sucked me into it. Granted I didn't start playing until about 10 years after that, but still it always intrigued me.

Brother-Sergeant

I actually play for a couple of reasons. First off has got to be the models though. At the heart of it, I'm a cheap *******, but I love to paint. If I can find another use for something I paint, it's cool.

Second has got to be my buddy Sean. He's one of those people who's a great sportsman and he's just so enthusiastic about having fun with the game that it's contagious. I play to play with Sean and to get both of us better at the game.

Oh! And to krump stuff with my Orks, you know, just cause.

Initiate

What got me started was the fiction. I love the background of all the races, thats what got me into the Tau and the Death Guard. The models also influenced a lot of my choices. And as far as people who complain about the game, DON'T PLAY.

Brother-Sergeant

For myself it was the background and the ability to recreate that on a tabletop that drew me to the hobby. 4oK is like crack. Once it gets you, its hard to let go.

Battle-Brother

I first got into the 40K right before 2nd edition came out. I was already hooked on Warhammer with fantasy (which was brought on by HeroQuest) my first army being Orcs and Goblins.

I just loved the models and the way they were painted. (funny to say now but I thought they were the best sculpts compared to alternative models out there at the time)

Slowly got tired of fantasy unit formations (too much like outdated Napoleon tactics I thought) and a pain to move

I loved the small 40K squads and that they were spaced out and not touching bases (this might be the main reason I picked up 40K)

Still the main reason for the hobby was the fluff. Oh the fluff... it inspired me to write my own stories winning me 2 Young Author's awards in 7th grade hahahah sounds sooo cheesy now 'cause I'm so rusty at writing, but seriously the fluff is the glue that holds the hobby together and without it GW would not be here today and Warcraft would never had a chance.

Ok I'll stop now before I go on some random rant It's like making a Mac vs. PC argument, just don't go there and you'll be much happier ahahahaha.... so true.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by darth_papi76 View Post
    For myself it was the background and the ability to recreate that on a tabletop that drew me to the hobby. 4oK is like crack. Once it gets you, its hard to let go.
    I quote this, because it is exactly where I stand on this. I love bringing my dreams into reality.

I was always into modeling and painting. I used to paint mini for friends that played D&D. GW contacted me about carrying their line in my store. After a few months of negotiations, I got a deal I couldn't pass up. So, I became an independent stockist. GW sent me an IG army to set the hook and boy, did it. I love to model, paint, and play 40K. I also, love the fluff as well.

Battle-Brother

Lots of reasons but good friends is probably the main reason for me. This is a social thing. Then there is all the fun that follows: fantastic fluff, novels, models, assembling, painting, artistic challenges, rules reading, rules interpreting, rules arguing, forum (lounge) debating, money spending, mad wives

Veteran-Sergeant

Fluff mainly. I bought one of the books in Barns and Noble, and was hooked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast