BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fr05ty View Post
    Is this still in display in GW HQ in Nottingham? Might have to swing round and give it a closer look then!
    Sadly not, it's good but maybe not THAT good. There'll be more pictures coming up in this thread though, when I can compose some suitable fluff to go with the various fortifications.

AWWW that sucks! I go to Uni of Nottingham and it's just a 10 minute walk to GW HQ, would've been worth it to see such a diorama! Keep the pictures coming though, would love to see more

It was late on in the incursion of Ferron Proxima that Hive Fleet Gorgon introduced a new bio-menace.The tactics so far had usually followed a path of bio-engineering a new bioform that would threaten Ferron's defences and that way the Hive Mind could ascertain whether it was worth committing further resources to that bioform. However in this instance three new bioforms were created and deployed under the watchful gaze of the tried and tested Zoanthope genus.

Having the enhanced brain capacity of the Zoanthrope alongside these three new test subjects would allow the Hive to monitor their progress, strengths and weaknesses in real time and at an accelarated pace compared to it's previous prototyping tests. As these four abominations were often seen within close proximity to each other the valiant defenders of Ferron proxima took to calling them the 'Four Horsemen of the Ferron Apocalypse' in referrence to the ancient Terran fables. At first this naming practice was overlooked. up until the the very words 'Four Horsemen' began to bring about the unmanning of the most staunch auxillia in the PDF. Once this fear started to spread members of th Astra Militarum Commissariat were deployed to submit fatal alternatives to the grip of fear. In truth though the names were continued to be spoken, just in more hushed tones, while the light of terror in their eyes shone on regardless.

The Hive Mind's conduit was nicknamed 'Famine', in part because it was initially thought to be a reincarnation of the 'Doom of Ferron Proxima'. However, this was a case of mistaken identity and although it did not have the life sucking powers of that nightmare creature it did posses many other skills of the emperian. Although it was not initially considered the most threatening of it's twisted bretheren it's Psychic abilities received an unexpected boost when the 7 planets within the Ferron system aligned causing an unexpected change the manifestation of all Psychic powers within the system. Sanctioned Psykers of the Imperium have begun referring to this change as the 'Phase'. It's too early to tell what impact it will have on Hive Fleet's control of it's witch powers but so far there have been great improvements alongside drastic failures.

Despite it's fragile outer structure Famine controls all four of the Horsemen as an extension of the Hive Mind, it's recommended by the Bio-magi studying this new danger that despite it's lower threat level than it's brothers it should be considered target priority Alpha, to sever the connection between the other Horsemen and the Hive Mind.

If appearance alone be the judge of danger then this creature from the Carnifex family would otherwise be considered target priority Alpha. The creature itself is a Behemoth, a nigh unstoppable bio-tank armed with some of the most potent Brainleech Devourers the Xenos can engineer. Although not as manoeuvrable as the winged Hive Tyrant that also can be found armed with such weaponry this creature, dubbed 'War' due to it uncompromising battlefield role, advances under the protection of it's siblings. It uses the mental fortitude of Famine whilst being protected under the cloud of Pestilence...

..this foul, loathsome creature is still much a mystery to the bio-magi. It seems to contain and exhude some of the most virulent toxins and poisons ever encountered on Ferron Proxima. Gaining samples have proved extremely fatal. The creature is shrouded by a toxic mist that obscures most of it's biological functions and also manages to cover the advance of it's siblings and other creature from the Xeno's threat.

Due it's Toxic nature the nickname Pestilence was adopted. Despite its slender size and less fearsome appearance it is often this creature that will terrify more than the rest of the Horsemen. For what can a man do, even one blessed by the Emperor [insomuch as that man was conscripted into the PDF and there by default MUST be blessed] when behind those writhing tentacles and slime dripping maw once could die instantly just by being close to this abomination.

Yet for all Pestilence's fatal characteristics it is this Lictor that has earned the moniker - 'Death'. For it is death incarnate, an untimely end no one can foresee. Often striking from the shadows, having patiently stalked it's prey. With an adaptive camouflage that can help it blend into it's surroundings usually the first sign of it's presence is the mantis like talons that have suddenly appeared protruding from a Guardman's chest. Identification of this member of the four horsemen has been the hardest as it's given role of the fourrequires it to range further ahead than it's bretheren, even beyond the control of Famine and given this level of autonomy quite often the connection between the four has not been made. rest assured though that if you see one of these creatures the rest will surely follow but whether you see all four at once depends on if you survive the meeting or whether they choose to reveal themselves.

Excellent color scheme and skill in painting, also the model composition is superb.
    Da Sausage Grot judges you...

System suddenly mentioned in fluff as having seven planets aligning to create a psychic "phase" just as seventh rolls around........ seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Levaticus View Post
    System suddenly mentioned in fluff as having seven planets aligning to create a psychic "phase" just as seventh rolls around........ seems legit.
    Its almost as if I was making some thinly veiled commentary on the state of 40k today

Although there has recently been little evidence of activity from Hive Fleet Gorgon on Ferron Proxima, the truth is the exact opposite. Much of it's biomass was siphoned off to create many of the larger monstrous creatures and now that it has suffered heavy losses of those same monsters the Hive Mind has adapted once again. It has exerted its will over creatures already inhabiting the red planet and swelling their numbers with raw recruits. If the great Devourer cannot smash it's way into subduing the planet it will infiltrate its way, as it was before so will it be again.

The Genestealer is rightly feared is the premier close combat unit in the 41st millennium although the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer would describe them as 'generally slow and sluggis' with 'puny claws' and 'short, multi-jointed limbs'. The truth is they are far from slow and their claws are as sharp and tough as adamantium, however they seem to be clad in chitinous armour that is so weak and brittle that bio-magi have spent considerable research hours trying to puzzle why the Hive Mind has employed tiny bio-organisms to regurgitate this feeble resinous armour substance onto the Genestealers. The whole process is convoluted, inefficient and above all the armour is practically useless.

But the real problem is not their ability to render limb from limb nor is their inherent weakness a cause to praise the Emperor, for their numbers are legion and they are everywhere it seems. Where before they would appear, lurking in no man's land, just flitting shadows moving from one ruin to the next; now we find them in the next building or the very rubble the honoored defenders of Ferron Proxima take cover from. As battle is joined these brave men, women and Astartes will discover the area they had secured before battle is joined is suddenly infested with these foul beasts.

What's worse is they will not immediately burst forth from the rubble, but lurk in the corners and rubble, usually revealing themselves at night and hiding. With such a dangerously close threat often the brave soldiers will unleash all their fire power to clear the area, only for the Genestealer to melt into the ruins or duck down, waiting, lurking, for some inexplicable signal to leave the confines of the manufactorums and derelict structures. Often this signal is the arrival of the great winged Hive Tyrants that have been seen to lead the hordes of aliens but also it can be that the brood of Genestealers that were targeted were not alone, that more broods hide behind them and all along while the closest threat was trying to be dealt with the ravening hordes are upon you - chose wisely your next target

To see more of these foul creatures point your cogitators here: [url]http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/nids-part-148-to-done-genestealers-more.html[/url]

Among the many monsters that have found their way to Ferron Proxima the Spawn of Proxima is one of the most fear-inducing. Biomagi are still not entirely sure how disparate Hive Fleets are able to bio-engineer organisms to a similar template despite little inter-fleet contact. It's often seen as a primary goal of all servants of the Emperor to ensure the co-mingling of Hive Fleets, and therefore the transference of resources, tactics, alien intelligence and enhanced evolutionary expereiences, is the greatest threat of the Xenos. However, if confirmed identification of specific genus types above and beyond the standard bioform prove, inter-species contact is not essential for the alien Hive to adapt beyond the confines of it's own fleet biologies.

The Spawn of Proxima is one such construct. Alpha-level Bio-magi have traced it's origin to a conflict in the Baal system where a beast matching it's description, known locally as the Spawn of Cryptus, appeared as a vanguard to an incurseion by Hive Fleet Leviathan. To date there has been little indication that Leviathan, Gorgon or the Ferron Splinter Fleet of gorgon have ever been in direct contact with each other. That's not to say in the deepest darkest reaches of space there hasn't been a meeting of alien minds, better that than the concept these different fleets are communicating across the void through some other obscene alien conduit.

The Spawn of Proxima has behaved in exactly the same manner as it's progenitor, surrounding itself with a brood of highly aggressive betaloned Genestealers that seem to emerge from the shadows at will before slinking off leaving the warm fetid remains of their unfortunate victims.

Even now though elements of the First Legion are arriving at the Ferron Space Ports ready to tackle this new threat. His appearances have increased as many of the Genestealer incursions within the Manufactorum districts has reduced. Once again it 's difficult to decipher if this is a redistribution of organisms, and evolution of its grand alien plan or the constant heroic defence of Ferron Proxima has dealt a death blow for one threat only to be faced by a more focused but deadly enemy. Only time will tell but time is something not on our sides as Hive Fleet Gorgon continues to try and Xenoform Ferron Proxima. The more it can convert the natural biology to their alien filth the greater chance of losing this valuable planet.

To see more of the Spawn of Prooxima point your cogitators here: [url]http://40kaddict.blogspot.com/2015/01/nids-part-157-spawn-of-cryptus.html[/url]

For a variety of reasons I've not kept up my forum posting quite as I used to. Most of the forums are inaccessible at work and finding time, while keeping up my blog and various other personal projects, just hasn't been possible. That said it's worth noting that Hive Fleet Gorgon has had a number of reinforcements over the last two years, so it might be worthwhile at least recordign those efforts here.

With 8th Edition still warm in my hands it seems odd to be showcasing a dakkafex. It seems bare-bones and screamer-killer may be the sensible choice but I still love the model

With the Index Devourers with Brainleech Worms were superceded by the all new and all disgusting Deathspitter with Slimer Maggots. But thankfully the Codex doubled the Devourere shots so I wasn't about to give up proxying Fleshborer Hives for Devourers.

However, thanks to the wonders of magnetisation I may well look to make some Monstrous Deathspitters up in due course. At the time I only had the two Carnifex, I've since added a third but here are the original brothers.

If you wish to see more pics, point your cogitators here: [url]http://www.40kaddict.uk/2015/03/nids-part-166-dakkafex-no2-3-to-done.html[/url]
    Last edited by dwez; 02-05-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Those reasons still keep getting in the way of sharing how my Hive Fleet Gorgon has progressed, in fact this latest update was form a model completed in March 2015! Maybe one day I'll find time to catch up with everything. So I give you my Malanthrope

Obviously this go is fast becoming an 'auto-include' for most nid players, despite the fact I think he took quite a few hits in his 8th incarnation. In fairness his 7th rules went on and on and on, and he's probably far more balanced now but he's definitely not quite as good.

Still he's a really impressive looking model, I recall my local GW Store Manager didn't even know what it was when I used it in my Armies on Parade display that year - they thought it was a conversion! Most of the current conversions look pretty awesome though, using Tyrant tails and Carnifex bodies etc. In the mean time I'm particularly proud of it's toxic trail of death and slime it left behind.

If you wish to see more pics point your cogitators here: [url]http://www.40kaddict.uk/2015/03/nids-part-167-malanthrope-to-done.html[/url]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast