BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default 1850 Blood Angels + Sisters of Battle

Just a fun, experimental little list. It would take me a long, long time to collect the models for this, and I'm not that interested in Sisters of Battle in general, but nevertheless I'm curious what you think about it. That said, there's a chance that I might actually build this list some day, since it involves diluting my Blood Angels with an army I'm at least a little interested in (rather than, say, the Imperial Guard...) while still giving me the cheap and effective scoring bodies that let me use my Blood Angels as a primarily drop force.

HQ
    • Recluisarch w/Jump Pack
    • Librarian w/Jump Pack

Elites
    • Sanguinary Priest w/Jump Pack, Power Weapon

Troops
    • 10 Assault Marines w/Jump Packs (2 Plasma Guns), Power Fist Sergeant
    • 10 Death Company w/Jump Packs (1 Power Fist, 2 Hand Flamers)

HQ
    • Canoness w/Power Weapon, Rosarius
    ° Command Squad (1 Heavy Flamer, 2 Meltaguns)
    ° Immolator w/Dozer Blade, Extra Armor, Multi-Meltas

Troops
    • 10 Battle Sisters (2 Meltaguns, Simulacrum Imperialis)
    ° Rhino w/Dozer Blade
    • 10 Battle Sisters (2 Meltaguns, Simulacrum Imperialis)
    ° Rhino w/Dozer Blade

Heavy Support
    • Penitent Engine

The reclusiarch leads the death company while the librarian and sanguinary priest hang out with the assault squad.

Turn one, all the Sisters or on the table. They rush towards the enemy, popping smoke and, when possible, hugging terrain. Turn two, the Blood Angels drop - between Descent of Angels and the new reserves rules, I can be pretty confident that they will drop - and that's when the slaughter begins.

The Sisters of Battle will be the anvil to the Blood Angels' hammer. The black armor of the Sisters and the red of the Blood Angels will be equally flecked with gore. The Sisters will bring the faith and, well, most of the fire, too. There will be no sanctuary for my enemies, certainly not one hundred and one of them.

Ahem.

Got a little carried away there.

Anyway, this looks like it would be a fun list to play very, very aggressively, but it still has the capacity to take and hold objectives.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Why not take the death company in a land raider? Dropping all those jump packs will save you loads of points to help pay for it. And why the hand flamers? Surly anything close enough to use them against is about to die under a tide of very angry black power armour. Dropping them would save you another pile of points!

Plus with not being able to charge from deep strike you may find your death company either get shot to bits or charged by some brave soul. With out there re-rolls to hit and wound they are totally wasted.

Plus again... the land raider will attract a lot of fire power away from the sisters.

Or... Get shot of the landraider and just run a huge blob of death company. Nearly 20 Death Company right on the deplyment line would attract some serous fire power, take massive damage and still be amazing in combat...

Oh so much fun! I love Blood Angles.

I don't have a clue about sisters of battle. Never played with or against them. I'm sure the old nuns with guns will do you proud though Sir.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    Why not take the death company in a land raider? Dropping all those jump packs will save you loads of points to help pay for it. And why the hand flamers? Surly anything close enough to use them against is about to die under a tide of very angry black power armour. Dropping them would save you another pile of points!
    I see the point. Land Raiders are badass (though I might put hammernators inside rather than death company). Honestly, though, the point of the Sisters is to give the Blood Angels permission to be an entirely drop army. I don't want to dilute the Blood Angels drop elements with deployed vehicle elements, for the same reason that I wouldn't include Sisters of Battle Seraphim.

I play a lot of Sisters of Battle ( )

The list is small but solid.
    Simulacrum isn't the best use of points in the standard Battle Sisters Squad - I feel it would be better in the Command Squad. (but, it does take up a weapon slot)

Penitent Engines are great - but as a 'solo' its less good, especially with 6th eds treatment of armor and the like. If I were you, I'd go with either an Exorcist (they are very good - but "Backfield" so not what you;re going for)
    Or - better for your theme - a Retributor squad. They can use Faith points to make their (heavy bolters reccomended) Rending. And, they fit in Immolators (which can match their weapon choice).

Though, for your theory here... I'd go with a squad of Dominions.
    They can twin-link w/ faith points, and they get Scout movement. So, rush them forward in a choice of transport. They can get closer, and then open fire.

Chapter-Master

Oh! An actual Sisters of Battle player! Great!

Also, Warhammerman is a woman ? Who knew?

Anyway, I like the idea of a dominion squad in an immolator to get those meltaguns up close and personal ASAP. I'm also happy to drop the penitent engine - it's an awesome model, but I agree that walkers aren't what they were... if they ever were much of anything.

Regarding who gets the simulacrum, the reason I put it on the battle sisters squads is that they are the ones whose Act of Faith is actually useful to this army (reroll 1s to hit? Instantly regroup? Yes please!). The canoness and her command squad, on the other hand, have Acts of Faith that give them Relentless and Moves Through Cover, both of them useless to a mechanized unit.

Also, while I've got your attention - oh player of SoBs - what do you think about dropping the command squad to pay for the dominion squad and putting the canoness with them in an immolator? It saves me a few points for upgrades (actually, enough points for a freaking Baal Predator, so all that rhino chassis distraction actually does me some good!), and I'm not sure what the command squad really adds.
    Last edited by ElectricPaladin; 12-08-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I play sisters sometimes when i wanna play an army that is underrated from time to time. As cool as the penitent engine "could" be he really is better like stated above if he is in a squadron of 3 since alot of weapons can just crush his little soul and unfortunately people will be more likely to kil it because he is sucha beast in CC. No one wants that noise running around in there backfield. Unless im playing a big game that i can waste on a fun unit I wouldnt take them. The retrobuters would be a much better choice for your needs you can move them forward and kick them out after your angels descend since they wont be the first thing your opponent will be worried about anymore he will be contemplating whether to kill the death company or the other squad lol. If you love melta guns though the dominions are very attractive for your idea of canning the command squad. I myself never really like the command squad for SoB points can be spent else where to benefit the army, But usually if i have to take an HQ choice its gonna be Celestine since she is such a huge B**** and just always a thorn in their sides. Good Burb Warhammerman.
    Last edited by Animus Silvanna; 12-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    =][= "Innocence proves Nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Oh! An actual Sisters of Battle player! Great!

Also, Warhammerman is a woman ? Who knew?

Anyway, I like the idea of a dominion squad in an immolator to get those meltaguns up close and personal ASAP. I'm also happy to drop the penitent engine - it's an awesome model, but I agree that walkers aren't what they were... if they ever were much of anything.

Regarding who gets the simulacrum, the reason I put it on the battle sisters squads is that they are the ones whose Act of Faith is actually useful to this army (reroll 1s to hit? Instantly regroup? Yes please!). The canoness and her command squad, on the other hand, have Acts of Faith that give them Relentless and Moves Through Cover, both of them useless to a mechanized unit.

Also, while I've got your attention - oh player of SoBs - what do you think about dropping the command squad to pay for the dominion squad and putting the canoness with them in an immolator? It saves me a few points for upgrades (actually, enough points for a freaking Baal Predator, so all that rhino chassis distraction actually does me some good!), and I'm not sure what the command squad really adds.
    Yup, I play them lots.
    And that woman is "My Girl" lol

The command squad is "okay" - its got FNP and the Laud Hailer, which is nice but - for so few points its better to nix them.

Here is my recommendation for an 825 point Allied Detachment (w/ 2 troops)

Uriah Jacobus
    + Battle Conclave
    w/ x5 Crusaders (Your choice, I like them for Axes)
    w/ x4 Death Cult Assassins (your choice of power weapons: but don't take Axes, use that Initiative 6 to your advantage. Dual Maul is my fave)
    + Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

This is one of THE SCARIEST Close-Combat Squads in the GAME. Crusaders have Storm Shields, and a power weapon choice. And the Death Cult Assassins dual-wield power weapons (extra attacks), and have a high inish, and a 5++
    Jacobus has his shotgun for some ranged, but his main thing is all the bonuses he adds.

x2 Sisters Squad
    9 girls. 2 Meltaguns + the Simulacrum Imperialus you want =D
    Sister Superior w/ combi-Melta. Since you're going melta, go the whole way.
    + Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Dominion Squad
    x4 Girls w/ x2 Meltaguns
    Superior w/ Bolt Pistol & Chain Sword - Why? Because with the short range of Meltaguns, you'll want just a little bit of close-combat.
    + Rhino w/ Dozer Blade.

The Rhino works well, because of the Fire Points, and the Repair.
    However, if you wanna be scary I'd update the Dominion to have an Immolator w/ dual Meltas. Start of game they rush forward and melt the face off big scary things (land raiders are always prime targets).

If you're willing to bend a little...

go with just 1 Battle Sister Squad (as above)

Update the Dominions to have a S.I and an Immolator w/ Twin-linked Multi-melta & Dozer Blade

Add in a Retributor Squad
    x4 girls w/ Heavy Bolters + Simulacrum Imperialus
    Superior w/ no upgrades
    + Rhino w/ Hunter-Killer Missile

This last squad is not the "Rush forward" Squad. They have a ton of shots, which could be Rending (SICK!) and the H/K is a nice punch to assist from the back field. If you're not a fan of the H/K then I'd throw on a storm bolter so its Dual Storm Bolters - keeping with the "many bullets" theme. One girl can poke her gun out and pepper close-by dudes too.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by WarHammerman View Post
    Here is my recommendation for an 825 point Allied Detachment (w/ 2 troops)...
    Awesome. Going section-by-section:

Uriah Jacobus
    + Battle Conclave
    w/ x5 Crusaders (Your choice, I like them for Axes)
    w/ x4 Death Cult Assassins (your choice of power weapons: but don't take Axes, use that Initiative 6 to your advantage. Dual Maul is my fave)
    + Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

This is one of THE SCARIEST Close-Combat Squads in the GAME. Crusaders have Storm Shields, and a power weapon choice. And the Death Cult Assassins dual-wield power weapons (extra attacks), and have a high inish, and a 5++
    Jacobus has his shotgun for some ranged, but his main thing is all the bonuses he adds.
    The thing is, I don't think I need scary close combat. I already have death company with a reclusiarch. They are freaking scary. What I want is sisters to hold objectives.

x2 Sisters Squad
    9 girls. 2 Meltaguns + the Simulacrum Imperialus you want =D
    Sister Superior w/ combi-Melta. Since you're going melta, go the whole way.
    + Rhino w/ Dozer Blade

Dominion Squad
    x4 Girls w/ x2 Meltaguns
    Superior w/ Bolt Pistol & Chain Sword - Why? Because with the short range of Meltaguns, you'll want just a little bit of close-combat.
    + Rhino w/ Dozer Blade.

The Rhino works well, because of the Fire Points, and the Repair.
    However, if you wanna be scary I'd update the Dominion to have an Immolator w/ dual Meltas. Start of game they rush forward and melt the face off big scary things (land raiders are always prime targets).
    This is more like what I'm talking about! Lots of melta, lots of covering fire.

go with just 1 Battle Sister Squad (as above)

Update the Dominions to have a S.I and an Immolator w/ Twin-linked Multi-melta & Dozer Blade

Add in a Retributor Squad
    x4 girls w/ Heavy Bolters + Simulacrum Imperialus
    Superior w/ no upgrades
    + Rhino w/ Hunter-Killer Missile

This last squad is not the "Rush forward" Squad. They have a ton of shots, which could be Rending (SICK!) and the H/K is a nice punch to assist from the back field. If you're not a fan of the H/K then I'd throw on a storm bolter so its Dual Storm Bolters - keeping with the "many bullets" theme. One girl can poke her gun out and pepper close-by dudes too.
    The problem with this is that the other thing I need the Sisters for is holding objectives, so the two Troops choices are a good idea. With that, I have three objective holders (a good number for 1850 games).

With the advice so far, here's my current list:

Blood Angels (Primary)

HQ
    • Jump Librarian
    • Jump Reclusiarch

Elites
    • Jump Priest w/Power Weapon

Troops
    • Jump Assault Squad (2 Plasma Guns) Power Fist Sergeant
    • Jump Death Company (1 Power Fist, 2 Hand Flamers)

Fast Attack
    • 1 Baal Predator

Allied Sisters
    • 1 Canoness w/Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Rosarius

Troops
    • 10 Battle Sisters (2 Meltaguns, 1 Simulacrum) in a Rhino w/Dozer Blade
    • 10 Battle Sisters (2 Meltaguns, 1 Simulacrum) in a Rhino w/Dozer Blade

Fast Attack
    • 5 Dominions (4 Meltaguns) in a Immolator w/Dozer Blade, Multi-Meltas

In this case, I'll put a bolter on the dominion superior because the canoness rides with them, and she's packing close combat gear. As I said earlier, I really like the Baal predator in this one, because it gives me a reason to field all those rhinos. Rhino chassis distraction will help keep the predator alive, or make my opponent pay for the choice to kill it.

Chapter-Master

FWIW, I just decided to drop the plasma guns on the assault marines and replace them with meltaguns. That's a lot of melta, especially for the current vehicle-light environment, but it's good for two reasons. Firstly, it lets me use the meltagun-equipped assault marines I've already got. Secondly, it gives me the points to add dozer blades to the Baal predator. It's a small upgrade, but on a tank that's going to be charging through cover to blast things at relatively close range, I think it's a very good idea. I also put meltabombs on the sanguinary priest, because I had the points for it. After all, meltaguns are still good at helping that assault squad to put a dent in any heavy infantry they come across.

I'm very excited about this list. It's brought my Blood Angels out of retirement! All I need now is to get my hands on a butt-ton of battle sisters, one more rhino, and an immolator, all on the cheap...

Also, given that alteration, I'm wondering if I don't want to make one or both of my battle sisters squads into flamer squads instead of melta squads. What do you think?

Chapter-Master

I hate to keep spamming the list with my own thread, but my thoughts on this list keep evolving...

I think I'm going to make the battle sisters into one flamer squad and one melta squad. I prefer this arrangement because it gives me the points to put plasmas on the assault squad. This is superior because I really don't like spammy lists. They aren't fun to play, and they usually lack the tactical tools to deal with a variable environment. Frankly, melta spam isn't a great idea these days. With this arrangement - one assault squad with plasma guns, one death company with hand flamers, one battle sisters squad with meltaguns, battle sisters squad with flamers, and dominion squad with meltaguns in a multi-melta immolator - I have a ton of options: two sources of flame for swarms and hordes, three sources of melta for heavy vehicles and heavy infantry, one source of plasma for light vehicles and heavy infantry. It's a lot more attractive than melta everywhere.