BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default The Makings of a Legion - Pre Heresy Space Wolves

Since Horus Heresy Betrayal came out, I've been completely obsessed with building up my pre-heresy army. I have more Space Wolves painted up than anything else, so I opted to go with the Vlka Fenryka as my pre-heresy legion of choice (I have a fair amount of Blood Angels too, and they may get some love later--even if the Wolves and Angels aren't battle brothers in the matrix).

With that being said, I've sort of just been building. So, I'm going to you, oh denizens of BoLS, to help guide me on where to go next. I'm going to list below everything I presently have for the pre-heresy Wolves, and I'd love your input on where to go from here:

Dooley's Pre-Heresy Space Wolves

Unit Type (Number of Models)

Infantry
    Legion Tactical Squad w/ Chainswords (x10)

Legion Destroyer Squad w/ Rad Missile Launcher & PW Sarge (x5)
    Legion Destoryer Squad w/ Rad Missile Launcher & TH Sarge (x5)

Heavy Support Squad w/ Missile Launchers (x5)
    Heavy Support Squad w/ Plasma Cannons (x5)
    Support Squat w/ Flamers (x5)

Laser Destructor
    Laser Destructor
    Quad Gun

Contempor Dread w/ 2x DCCW
    Contempor Dread w/ DCCW & Multi Melta
    Contempor Dread w/ 2x Kheres Assault Cannon & Missile Pod

Armor
    4 Drop Pods
    4 Deimos Pattern Rhinos
    2 Land Raiders
    1 Land Raider Achilles
    1 Storm Raven
    1 Caestus Assault Ram

Lords of War
    1 Valdor Tank Hunter (I figure this could be used as the Cerebus until a model comes out)
    1 Warhound Titan w/ Laser Destroyer & Bolter
    1 Warhound Titan w/ Plasma & Inferno Cannon

So where do I go from here?

I'd like to keep it relatively fluffy in terms of what I build, so I'm trying to determine what else to get. I think, based on the HH Space Wolves fluff that I'll probably avoid assault squads, and I'm unclear on how I should do the scout squads (they're not actually called this). I'm not a huge fan of the present Scout Armor, so I'd love some suggestions for alternatives. I'll probably do a Seeker Squad because I think they fit fairly well within SW fluff. As much as I want some bikes, I may simply save those for a small White Scars contingent (especially after reading Brotherhood of the Storm!!!)

But what else. I'd love some thoughts, opinions, and otherwise. Thanks in advance!

www.queencityguard.com

Fly Lord

Witt, that's a good solid start for the Vlka Fenryka. Welcome aboard my Heresy-era Brother!

I think your next choice is to figure out what kind of Praetor/Centurian-Consuls you want to lead your force. The Praetor is the only way to use the drop pods and it looks like you want an Orbital Assault or Armored Spearheat doctine.

Next I would look into some infantry support to give you more boots on the ground, or shore up the boots you have. I've found the Apothecarion Detachment to be VERY useful addition if you are running lots of infantry.

Finally I'd look into some type of expendable mobility element to keep the foe off balance and strike at distant objectives. Whatever you think is fluffiest for your list. Bikes, Speeders, Jetbikes all come to mind.

I'm Death Guard, so I'm a bit heavier on boots on the ground and less numerous on heavy machinery, but you are the Wolves after all. I say give your force that "bloodthirsty - brutal" edge!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Witt, that's a good solid start for the Vlka Fenryka. Welcome aboard my Heresy-era Brother!

I think your next choice is to figure out what kind of Praetor/Centurian-Consuls you want to lead your force. The Praetor is the only way to use the drop pods and it looks like you want an Orbital Assault or Armored Spearheat doctine.

Next I would look into some infantry support to give you more boots on the ground, or shore up the boots you have. I've found the Apothecarion Detachment to be VERY useful addition if you are running lots of infantry.

Finally I'd look into some type of expendable mobility element to keep the foe off balance and strike at distant objectives. Whatever you think is fluffiest for your list. Bikes, Speeders, Jetbikes all come to mind.

I'm Death Guard, so I'm a bit heavier on boots on the ground and less numerous on heavy machinery, but you are the Wolves after all. I say give your force that "bloodthirsty - brutal" edge!
    I have a moritat built, so he'll be my first centurion. Gotta figure out the praetor situation. I'm all about the apothecaries but I'm stuck right ow figuring out how to model them. According to the HH books, my SW apothecaries probably need to be pretty "wolfed out" with talismans and fur and the like. I'm aiming to get one of the Masq Mini fur press mould sets, but I can't figure out how to order from the damn site.

I think speeders would be a good mobility option if I decide against jet bikes. For whatever reason, I just hate the regular bikes.

Thanks for the insight. I'm hoping to have a solid amount of it painted by adepticon. If I will, I'll have o encourage you to bring some of the pre heresy death guard for a big ole throw down.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

looks like a pretty good army already, lots of variety in there it is hard to see what else to suggest. reconnaisance squad would definitely look great. perhaps some veteran squads for wolf guard
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    looks like a pretty good army already, lots of variety in there it is hard to see what else to suggest. reconnaisance squad would definitely look great. perhaps some veteran squads for wolf guard
    Was thinking the exact same thing. Hardest part of modeling them so far is finding bare heads. The space wolf ones are beginning to get redundant so I think I need to invest in some chaos marauder heads or find some third party ones.

I'd love to do the recon ones, especially with how badass the recon wolf dude was in battle of the fang, but I'm just so unimpressed by the scout models. I'm open to suggestions.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

well the first question then is what don't you like about the scouts? If I know that then I can find you an alternative
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.