BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Out of curiosity, why? Liking X because of the Y doesn't imply that you understand Y, or identify as Y.

Chapter-Master

Kind of like how hipsters think they're cool cause you've never heard of the music they listen to, regardless of its actual quality? Neripsters?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

The only kind of "fake" geek girl I can think of are celebrity actresses pretending to be geek in order to get a role.

Anything else is just...ridiculous.

And the vast majority of major con "booth babes" are models. It's not fake geek, it's a marketing decision by the owner of said booth.

The whole idea of fake geek girls is a mix of snobbery and misogyny. This quote sums it up neatly:
    But the views Harris expresses aren't just held by virulent misogynists – instead, they are depressingly common in "geek culture". Too many nerds have basically internalised the stereotype of themselves as ugly, friendless losers and decided that anyone who doesn't fit that stereotype – particularly women – is a "fake geek", taking advantage of the fact that being a geek is now "cool".
    Also does anyone else appreciate the irony of a comic book artist complaining about women wearing costumes from comic books?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The whole idea of fake geek girls is a mix of snobbery and misogyny. This quote sums it up neatly:

Also does anyone else appreciate the irony of a comic book artist complaining about women wearing costumes from comic books?
    Yes because Some girls will put on anything for attention even if they don't like it. On a side note....Gal dress as a Wytch Elf
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

I don't think so actually, all the cosplayers I know dress as characters they like because they want to feel closer to them or like what they represent, from badass to adorable. There may be a handful of girls who do it but I'm sure thre are an equal number of boys who dress up as anime characters or superheroes just to impress geek girls.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Yes because Some girls will put on anything for attention even if they don't like it. On a side note....Gal dress as a Wytch Elf
    She does already, but not for your benefit...

@EG - I would, but I haven't really had anyone to do that kinda thing with. But now me and Charlotte are planning cosplay outfits!

I think FUS RO DAH should give you a clue as to my costume.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Yeah, cosplay is ... not an outsider's sport. The brain has to twist itself into pretzels to accept the notion that somebody would go to a con and cosplay just for the attention. Do cosplayers with a sexy cosplay enjoy the attention? Sure, I should hope so. But that doesn't make them fake, or outsiders who prey upon poor defenseless geeks. Are there bigger geeks out there than the cosplayers? Perhaps, but there is always a bigger geek. And like EG said, real live cosplayers are ginormous geeks. These sexual wolves in geek's clothing who allegedly stalk our cons and gaming groups are entirely fictional as far as I can tell.

Also, I mean, look at the form of the claim. It even sounds like the fantasy of a male with self esteem issues.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Build View Post
    Want a better example take the gym girl as an example, she comes in, does 10 minutes of a very nonchalant run/jog/crab scuttle on the treadmill, before doing a million and one leg abductor/adductor reps with the lightest weight possible. She typically wears enough make up to rival the average party clown and then leaves having broken no sweat and moans about how some of the boys "look at her".
    See, this is in part an illustration of the problem - you're saying there's a right way and a wrong way for women to behave at a gym - she's not a proper gym girl if she wears makeup, doesn't do heavy weights or do the right type of exercises.
    I would've thought she was a proper gym girl if she was a girl who enjoyed going to the gym, regardless of how large the weights she lifts or what she wears.

Take what you said, swap out gym terms for nerd ones and you have exactly the same argument people are using to brand girls as "fakes".

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga
    The only kind of "fake" geek girl I can think of are celebrity actresses pretending to be geek in order to get a role.
    Funny you mention that as Amy Adams has said she always wanted to be Lois Lane, and the howls of derision have been deafening in some circles. Of course nobody has demanded Henry Cavill prove he wanted to be Superman when he was a kid...

And in regards to Tony Harris' rant - geek guys should be offended too! I mean he's saying you "either RARELY speak to, or NEVER speak to girls. Some [of you are] Virgins, ALL unconfident when it comes to girls..."
    And people are leaping to this guys defence when that's what he thinks of you?
    Not to mention the contradiction of a girl spending all that money and time on a costume to lure geeks which she apparently hates... what?

Chaplain

This whole thing is stupid, who cares what girls do or guys for that matter I know people who you wouldn't believe it but are proper geeks and they like to dress up and doing the "sluty" stuff and drive boys crazy and theirs nothing really to wrong with it, that I can see. but this is my point of View from my pocket dimension.

And for the record I'm an epic nerd who spends more time thinking about warhammer 40k then doing other stuff. and view my self as unatractive.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast