BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wall of Martyrs mini-review

I don't usually post reviews of kits, but this one is an exception. My brother just dropped off my two Wall of Martyrs boxes in my room just now.

First Impression: Holy Fudge, look at the size of that box. Twice the size of the Dark Vengeance/Starter Set boxes and much, much heavier.

Looking in the box and pulling out some sprues I'm surprised at just how much detail is on them. All the plascrete walls are well textured and look like they will take drybrushing superbly. The quality of sculpting is what you would expect from GW, hard to beat. If you don't like GWs skull-laden Grimdark aesthetic then it might not be your thing.

There are a few smooth areas under some of the skeletons due to the limitations of plastic injection that look a bit jarring, shouldn't be too much effort to paint them to look like shadows or whatever but it is the one jarring note in what it is a superb kit. It is indeed fully customisable in layout but it should be easy enough to convert too, being GWs usual hard plastic.

As to value, unmatched in wargaming terrain in my opinion. There is just so much in the box for £100 it's astounding.

5 out of 5 Cadian Corpses.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

On the main bunker piece, is it possible to change the position of either section, or is it just one big model?

It's one model consisting of a back, front, sides and top and a couple of extra bits. You could probably cut the front, back and roof pieces in half to reposition the little annex bit to the otherside of the main bunker with a bit of effort if you wanted.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Damn it, you beat me to it EG.

I can vouch for this review, having just practically ripped the box open to get at the contents. Each section is on it's own sprue, which means the box sets for the individucal sections will only contain a single sprue (although I believe you get two of the long trenches). Another nifty feature is that each piece has interlocking lugs that allow them to be slotted together like a jigsaw. I'm not saying a decent knock during gaming won't push them apart, but it is much better than if they simply butted up against each other with flat sides.

While I do like the skull loving Imperial feel, I might be tempted to paint over the majority of both sides of the trench works with a thick layer of paint with sane mixed in to look more like earthworks than just piles of corpses/supplies. Of course, I'd leave a few bits/skulls sticking out! Hopefully this will also hide those pesky flat areas EG mentioned.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

Are the imperial-eagel decoration seperate? Or is it a one block-piece?
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Brother-Captain

ditto what she said. I drove an hour to pick one up as I refuse to step foot in my FLGS anymore, but well worth the drive. This kit is amazing. I was on the fence about it, but I decided to treat myself to the kit as a "new job/pay increase" present.

edit: THere is no way to move a heavy weapons unit through the lanes of it. Once placed, they're stuck in spot unless you move them OVER the wall and out (or you disregard the fact that a model needs clearance for its base... but I've based some of my HW units on 25mm circles for effect.... ;-) )

John M>
    Last edited by lobster-overlord; 11-17-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Librarian

Hmmm, I was hoping it would be a bit more modular for a conversion piece, but oh well.
    Now i just need some more grots and squigs to decorate the walls for my orks.

Brother-Captain

The eagles are separate on the walls. There are a couple different window/shield config options, but it's still rather limiting.

I do have one gripe now that I've done some sprue cutting on this one: The cleanliness of the tool cutting for the master molds is kinda sloppy. There are some points where you can see the rotor head cut a groove around a detail too deep. Nothing that will ever effect it in game terms or in use, but its enough to let you know that their China team did this one, and not the UK team.

John M>

Brother-Captain

Advance Order is up for individual sets. $246 USD if you buy the sets separately. A good value (when compared to their new prices, which seem a tad high, but hey, it's GW).

VERY pleased my purchase now.

John M>

Librarian

Got mine and love it. Might have to grab a second.

but first, need to magnetize that whole thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast