BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Mind Shackle Scarabs. Damage limitation.

Hi Guys
    Been playing my SM in an escalation campaign. Not faced my next opponent yet but I know he uses 2 lords both with MSS. I saw my friends Typhus stab himself to death against one of his Lords in a previous game.
    I guess trying to shoot him down before The Lord gets into CC is good, but I think he will be using barges too.
    I was thinking of Lysander in a group of TH/SS terminators and letting the Sarge "look out sir" the scarabs if that's possible.

Please help
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

As a Necron player I can tell you MSS are awesome, I've had a lord tie up the Swarmlord for 3 game turns and almost kill him without doing a wound himself (bad rolling on my part). It randomly selects a guy in b2b and you can't "look out sir" the scarabs.Just be careful who gets in b2b with him and watch out for challenges, if you can kill him before he assaults then it's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I was thinking of Lysander in a group of TH/SS terminators and letting the Sarge "look out sir" the scarabs if that's possible.
    It isn't, sadly. As page 64 says, "Wounds allocated to a character in a challenge cannot be reallocated by the Look Out, Sir rule." You could use the sergeant on round two to do a Glorious Intervention, but I think the better idea would be to keep Lysander out of the challenge entirely by having the sergeant accept the challenge in his stead. The lord's MSS inflict a maximum of 1 wound (by the sergeant hammering himself to death, if you're unlucky), while Lysander is busy winning the combat with his squad and making the lord run away so you can shoot him again.

I believe that MSS is declared immediately after you charge, and I believe it is before the challenge. So, charge with a regular dude leading. If the Lords up front,he takes it, maybe kills one guy. Then Lysander challenges. If he accepts, smash him, if he declines then the Lord is forced to the back, and therefore not in base contact, so you can mop up the unit.

Pretty sure you have to challenge at the start of the combat, rather than your I step.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by jifel View Post
    I believe that MSS is declared immediately after you charge, and I believe it is before the challenge.
    Both occur "at the start of the Fight sub-phase" (BRB 64, Necron FAQ 3). There's no indication as to which comes first.

Roll for it on each occasion. Only way to be fair.

Oh, and watch out for sods like me. If I have two Overlords, I'll have two royal courts. That's potentially 4 mind shackles in a single squad. Yeah. Opponents cry!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Roll for it on each occasion. Only way to be fair.
    As much as it pains me, I agree that this is the correct procedure.

Regardless, I think your approach is basically correct. You want a unit with high Leadership, with a low value character (e.g., a sergeant) to get into challenges, and that has a good chance of withstanding its own attacks. In an ideal situation I think you'd actually use lightning claw terminators, who are less likely to kill themselves even if they do succumb to the MSS, but can still take care of most opponents. Keep Lysander in there and you have:

1. Lysander to keep the squad's Leadership high and pummel MSS models with sempiternal weave.
    2. Lightning claws to tear through anybody who might be accompanying the MSS carrier(s).
    3. Terminator armor to resist your own lighting claws (remember that MSS inflict d3 hits, even if you would normally get +1A for having two Melee weapons).
    4. A cheap character to accept challenges on Lysander's behalf, or to challenge overlords if the d6 roll comes up with challenges occurring before MSS this time around.

Shooting them is still the safest option, but I think you could throw that unit into most MSS-carrying units with confidence.

Actually our hobby group believes it falls under the "whomever's turn it is decides which order things that happen at the same occur." I cannot remember which page of the book specifies it but we find that is the best interpretation until it is specifically in a FAQ update.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegwymourn View Post
    Actually our hobby group believes it falls under the "whomever's turn it is decides which order things that happen at the same occur." I cannot remember which page of the book specifies it but we find that is the best interpretation until it is specifically in a FAQ update.

Holy ...

How did I miss that??? [EDIT: Thanks!] You're thinking of page 9, which states:

While playing Warhammer 40,000, you'll occasionally discover exceptions to the general turn sequence laid out here, when things are worked out as they occur rather than in any strict order. At other times, you'll find that both players will have to do something at the same time. When these things happen, the player whose turn it is decides the order in which the events occur.

So, uh, apparently you don't roll for it on each occasion. The player whose turn it is decides whether to challenge and then roll for MSS, or roll for MSS and then challenge. I don't think that affects the advisability of keeping a low-cost character around any high-cost character who is going to be taking on a scarab lord, though. It can be used as a shield to keep your high-cost character from suiciding in a challenge, and as a sword to keep either isolate the scarabs or neutralize the lord's attacks.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 11-19-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast