BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Looks like the days of metal are dead

I was looking through gumtree and ebay and sore a bit of metal models meaning they must be dead or dieing so in good tradition let us remanise about these long dead figures (or soon to be). So just post up picks of your metal figures and some storyies you wouldn't mind sharing, sadly I some how manged to never get one :'(

Occuli Imperator

I for one am glad. I dislike metal, my 30 man DC are lead, that is before white metals and the bond between plastic and metal was never great.
    I don't have any photographs as I am at work.
    Looking forward to the whole plastic future!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I bought some new metal from GW just the other week, an Escher gang for Necromunda, let me tell you, after a day of clean up, pinning and sticking to bases, I wish they were resin. They chip so easily too. I'm glad metal is dead, it was terrible, we're well rid of it.

Librarian

I for one am glad. I dislike metal
    Agreed.

Metal was something we put up with because there was nothing better. I for one won't miss the great problems of:

1.) Difficult to remove flash.
    2.) Having to pin EVERY DAMN JOIN.
    3.) Pinning being wholly inadequate in the case of huge models like the Shaggoth, where you might as well just not bother - nothing's going to keep those pieces together.
    4.) The model being completekly wrecked just through one drop.
    5.) Top heavy Tyranid models that slowly bent under their own weight (Zoanthropes, Venomthropes - I am looking at you).
    6.) Paint refusing to adhere to the tips of spiky bits, even on top of several layers of primer, meaning all your beautiful paint jobs last exactly three weeks until you have little shining patches of metal at the tips of everything.

Seriously, metal is a terrible material for models. [EXPLETIVE REDACTED] metal.

Heavy, falling over, bits falling off, awful to clean up and convert... I don't miss metal!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Yea, resin is just a lot easier to work with, and now GW has their QC sorted out, real good detail capture.

I do like the heavy feel of the old metals though, and remedied this by putting metal washers on the underside of my plastic/resin HQ model's bases.

I agree with all of the above!

Metal is terribru, and it should feel terribru!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

I also agree I hate the fact that two of my biggest armies Valhallan and praetorian are metal and if I could swap them for plastic or resin I would even my Eldar army is 99% metal thanks to it been 2nd/3rd ED and I can't wait to upgrade it with hopefully new plastic/resin models soon!

Chapter-Master

There was something reassuringly weighty about metal models, but all the above points far outweigh this. After having tried to assemble a Screaming Skull catapult and to game with a Zoanthrope, I'm glad to see the back of it.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Veteran-Sergeant

I think the general consensus is that metal was a horrible way for models to go. Having an almost all pewter army (Demonhunters) was just like the worst experience ever. There wasn't one week or tournament that went by that i would have to do on site repairs or atleast once every other month have to repaint certain areas from scratched paint, so very annoying. Not to mention if of those metal models were to fall it was game over for him and if you like to heavily convert things like myself well then that model just split into like 5-6 different pieces each going there own damn way in the world. I love atleast that my new Grey Knights don't exactly break most of the time and rather bounce and are just fine. If metal was a person in a grave i'd dance on it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast