BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Deathwatch/Black Crusade/Only War Play-By-Post?

So, for a while there I was into some play-by-post games. This died the death of me getting a job at a school that blocked RPGnet. I mean, teaching is a pretty absorbing profession and it's not like I would have been online throughout the day, but the fact that I couldn't even check the board during my lunch break made it hard to keep up with a game.

Now, however, two things are coming together. One, my playing 40k has created in me a growing interest in the 40k RPGs. Two, my school's Internet doesn't block this website...

So, is there anyone else out there interested in starting up a group to play one of the above games by post? I'm thinking a one post a day or so commitment - though of course you'd be free to post more often if you feel like it.

Two important notes. Firstly, I'm not volunteering to run. I don't own any of the books, I haven't played any of these games (except for that one demo game back at GenCon back when Dark Heresy came out...), I don't know my way around the system, and while I'm interested in the lore, I don't feel like I'm expert enough to do it properly. So, I guess what I'm volunteering myself to do is provide organizational help and enthusiasm. Secondly, while I have some vague preferences within this pentology of games, I'm open to going with whatever there's broad enthusiasm for.

Well, I've put it out there. I want to play in a 40k play-by-post game. Who's with me!?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I have no idea how play by post works. Also, if I was running the campaign we would not be using the D100 system, because it sucks.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I have no idea how play by post works.
    I'm glad you asked

Basically, it's like playing in a very slow RPG. Play progresses entirely via post, with the occasional foray into private messages. It usually works best with games that focus on investigation and interaction (in that order) over combat. People are encouraged to make their posts into little bits of microfiction as much as possible, but writing skill is not actually required. Usually people post narration and description in one color and use a different color for mechanical stuff, like requests for dice rolls or stuff like that.

You want to avoid fighting, but it can happen without derailing the entire game. You also want to avoid lengthy conversations, but they're ok, too. I've read the threads of play-by-post games that included significant amounts of both.

Usually there will be an IC thread for what's actually happening in the game and an OOC thread for talking about the game. The game is totally public, and observers are welcome to post their thoughts, questions, and suggestions in the OOC thread.

Chapter-Master

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Sergeant

Well, if the interest is there, I'd be interested in running a Dark Heresy game for people. From what I gather, our OP isn't particularly system savvy, so why don't we start out slow with some daily grind at a Schola before dropping the proverbial brick on everything. Say graduation day?

I find DH to be very friendly for new players, and I'll keep everything core book only, so we can introduce new things gradually. I'll certainly pull things from other sources, but we'll use the base book only for PC concerns.
    The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

I think DH would make for a good slow burn game, especially since early progression is that much more enjoyable in my opinion.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Irdion View Post
    Well, if the interest is there, I'd be interested in running a Dark Heresy game for people. From what I gather, our OP isn't particularly system savvy, so why don't we start out slow with some daily grind at a Schola before dropping the proverbial brick on everything. Say graduation day?

I find DH to be very friendly for new players, and I'll keep everything core book only, so we can introduce new things gradually. I'll certainly pull things from other sources, but we'll use the base book only for PC concerns.
    I'm game. Who else is? We need more players!

Chapter-Master

I'd give it a try. I've got some experience with Dark Heresy so wouldn't be a noob rolling round on my own
    Last edited by DrLove42; 03-13-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Initiate

Is the game still open? I'm new to play-by-post, but i've played DH before and have been looking to play more.

I'd be game as well. could be interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast