BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Personally, I find some of the truly tangential stories to be among the best. Nemesis, Outcast Dead really caught my attention.

Beyond that, I'm among those that wish they'd just get on with it already.

Tell the main story, then leave HH around as an imprint to tell 30k stories. They've shown plenty of willingness to go back and forward in the chronology vs. the release cycle and it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone. I, for one, am actually looking forward more to what they do AFTER the siege of terra. There's easily a dozen novels that can be written about the events after the battle aboard the Vengeful Spirit. You've got the flight of the CSMs, the events of the second founding, the "departures" of the loyalist primarchs, and so on.

Meanwhile, those nice side stories can still be written afterwards. We'll still buy em, I'm sure.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    the thing about the bolters in KNF was explained in deliverance lost.
    the traitor forces had access to prototype bolt rounds (stern guard ones in M41), thats why the massacres at istvaan and calth were so one sided. this is the reason for the mk V heresy suit and the vehicle bonding studs on the armour, extra plating was bolted on to cut down the penertration of the traitor rounds.
    Elegant theory that sadly just does not fit the facts.

If Dan had actually planned it out as such and explained it as such, no one would have had any problems with that as a reason for why in his books Power Armor seems to be made out of damp tissue paper.

But the problem was that the Word Barers were getting gunned down just as easily as the smurfs, so it seems less like a clever tie-in with previous books and more like a bad grasp of the fluff, or just bad execution of fight scenes.

There's also the fact a warrior is never so familiar with the weak points of armour as their own protection.

When your enemy is wearing the same kit, and you have the skills of a Marine, aiming for the weak points is pretty straight forward.

Oh, and also consider the sheer volume of firepower being lobbed around....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    There's also the fact a warrior is never so familiar with the weak points of armour as their own protection.

When your enemy is wearing the same kit, and you have the skills of a Marine, aiming for the weak points is pretty straight forward.

Oh, and also consider the sheer volume of firepower being lobbed around....
    Yet in the same book a smurf Serg was marked for censor and in line for a royal ticking off for merely suggesting that they should think about how to theoretically fight other space marines.

In addition, I cannot remember a single hint that armor were being breached through weight of fire. If that was the intention, Dan sure did a crappy job of conveying that idea to the reader. I think Dan is a good enough writer that if he had that in mind, the reader would be left in no doubt about it.
    Last edited by plawolf; 11-26-2012 at 05:15 PM.

The tissue paper Armour is odd as it does not really tie back to the fluff as many of us would understand it.

However... in the fluff and in a lot of black library litriture power armour changes how tough it is depending on how tough the auther needs it to be. In first and only old Dan Abnett has his ghosts killing CSM's with las guns! But at the end of Xenos (Dan again) he has 2 marines empty whole magazines of bolter fire directly in to each others chests and faces at close range and then get down to some hand to hand because it has little effect!

I agree bolter fire did seem a little two powerful in KNF but if the book went... 'Then the badies all jumped up from behind there rock and shot loads and loads of bolter rounds at the goodies but no one died.' It would have been a very long book.

And before any one says anything I know I a gifted author!

Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    Yet in the same book a smurf Serg was marked for censor and in line for a royal ticking off for merely suggesting that they should think about how to theoretically fight other space marines.
    And there also goes the consistency with other stories in the series. One of the short stories collection had smurfs actually engaging in war games as if they were fighting other marines. So, I'm really mystified as to why the sgt was censured other than the usual Abnett trait of ignoring any details that get in his way. Abnett can write a good read, but he's not a big one for consistency or continuity.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Veteran-Sergeant

I am a huuuuge fan of 40k fluff, especially anything that includes the Emperor, Primarchs, etc....
    But even I am almost filled with boredom on the HH series.
    I've literally just now finished reading Fear to Tread and if you're a fan of BA's then it may be a good read but it took me a month to get through that book and I was left quite underwhelmed by it. Normally I'd get through a HH book in about a week and be stoked for the next one!
    Swallow made the BA's surprisingly unlikeable IMO, and I'm a dedicated SM fan.

I haven't read every book in the series coz I don't have the time or money to do so but even I am of the opinion that BL aren't pulling quickly enough toward the Battle of Terra and the conclusion of the Heresy.
    I like the idea of reading about how the Primarchs have their foibles as well as being all noble and heroic lords of war, but there's not enough balance on other things like; "How is Malcador managing to hold things together in the Emperor's near total absence? What about the establishment of several sectors of space in their fledgling state?" and things along those lines.
    I'm not getting a feeling of the galaxy at large coming apart, neither did I get a sense of it being conquered and united in the earlier books...

I'd like to see an account of Ullanor (just what happened - it's a tale of heroism begging to be told) and the events that happen after the Heresy would go a long way to making up for the stagnation that GW have forced on players for years... But will any of this happen? I doubt it.
    I can hope, but I doubt it.

A crude representation of the only Angel who ever broke through my impenetrable fortress walls...

Battle-Brother

Not bored with the series be honest I still have a few books to read yet. I would like to see them do a novel involving the SW and DA assaulting the planet Dulan and the primarch brawl even if its just a short story. What would be cool is if they did a book just about each primach and there upbrings on their adopted home worlds and/or each of the legions founding on terra only done a few so far and they are most from traitor legions.

I am looking forward to FW HH tho but considering my main army is space wolves prolly have a awhile to wait to see my favorite primarch/legion's rules but hey more time to save.
    Peek @ the inner workings of my mind threw my blog:http://ironwolfsworkshop.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Not so much bored as annoyed with the hardbacks making my collection look odd, cause I'm assuming the paperback will be that bronze rather than the gold colour.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567