BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scout

A quick Google search of Armory Primer says to stay away. Grainy/Fuzzy covering that wipes off easily.
    I guess you get what you pay for.

If you believe everything you read on the net, then Army Painter can melt plastic.

After researching, quite a lot of people use non-miniture primers like Kryon and Duplicolor.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Army Painter is about the same price as GW's primers, but if the color matches well it saves you basecoating.
    It's worth pointing out that Army Painter's white and black are both MSRP of 11 dollars, not the 14.99 of the other colors. Still more expensive than other alternatives, but significantly cheaper than the ridiculous GW price. I've used their colors on GW plastics and no problems so far.

The thing I dislike most about GW cans is the ridiculously high pressure they started using a couple of years ago. It makes overspray go everywhere, tends to knock the minis around, and makes it nearly impossible to use indoors even with well more than adequate ventilation.

Has anyone used Vallejo? They make GW look cheap, but that makes me wonder why as they're usually cheaper on anything else.

EDIT: I should also say, some people I've seen comment elsewhere swear by using artist's gesso.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Veteran-Sergeant

Vallejo primers in spray is very good option and quality. If you are using airbrush i can recommend2 options:
    Vallejo surface primers: [url]http://www.coloureddust.com.pl/2012/10/modelling-materials-part-4.html[/url]
    AK-Interactive primers: [url]http://www.coloureddust.com.pl/2013/04/modelling-materials-part-8.html[/url]

Veteran-Sergeant

I am a big fan of the Army Painter primers. Now that they have a matching brush-on paint line in Warpaints, they are my current favorite.

Army Painter melts plastic? News to me, never happened on any of the plastics I've primed

Veteran-Sergeant

Here is my adventure with Army Painter Primers: [url]http://coloureddust.blogspot.com/2012/05/army-painter-colour-primer.html[/url]

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by YourSwordisMine View Post
    I am a big fan of the Army Painter primers. Now that they have a matching brush-on paint line in Warpaints, they are my current favorite.

Army Painter melts plastic? News to me, never happened on any of the plastics I've primed
    What he said! I swear by Army Painter's Daemonic Yellow spray for base coating my Imperial Fists, it goes on easily and gives a nice smooth even coverage. Brilliant stuff. I've used it on plastic, resin (both Forge World and Finecast resin) and metal without any problems at all.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Veteran-Sergeant

I personally don't use army painter primer, I have had good experiences with it though, I used it to speed paint a grey knights army a few years back. I even experimented with zenithal highlights using black and then the silver to spray my minis. It was fantastic and went on so even and well. However I then tried the purple on some trolls and I ended up with a very bad furry, powder coated finish. Had a fit and threw the models in the bin. Bought a cheap airbrush compressor set and have been using Vallejo primer ever since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12