BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Talking My Top 10 Most Useful Hobbying Tools of the Trade

Hey guys!

It's holiday-time so I thought it would be a good idea to list out some of my bread 'n butter tools of the trade.

Here's a quick video listing IMO the top 10 hobby tools.

If you have 'em you probably use them. If you don't have 'em GET THEM!!!!

Hope you find this useful.

No seam scraper? Blasphemy.

[url]http://www.micromark.com/seam-scraper,7547.html[/url]

I think including paints in the list is a little odd when there's so many other things that experience painters and modellers are likely to have but would never occur to a newer hobbyist.

I'd include a dremel as a major plus if we're talking about items that run up to airbrush costs. I've even used my dremel as a lathe (using a file as a shaper).

And, a good set of files or other alternative to sanding/filing.

Most importantly: A place to work! If you can manage it, getting a small niche you can set up in and not have to pack everything away when you're done makes it a lot easier to work 10-15 minutes here and there. It means you do not have to rely on being able to set aside larger chunks of time. A work table doesn't need to be that big to make a huge difference in efficiency. I use a 30" x 30" table and in the past have done as little as just marking out a small portion of my home desk where I can remain semi-set up to work (everything stored very close by).
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Battle-Brother

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RealGenius View Post
    No seam scraper? Blasphemy.

[url]http://www.micromark.com/seam-scraper,7547.html[/url]
    Seam Scrapers are certainly life-savers...

Looks like I may have to update.

-WAR

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsog View Post
    I think including paints in the list is a little odd when there's so many other things that experience painters and modellers are likely to have but would never occur to a newer hobbyist.

I'd include a dremel as a major plus if we're talking about items that run up to airbrush costs. I've even used my dremel as a lathe (using a file as a shaper).

And, a good set of files or other alternative to sanding/filing.

Most importantly: A place to work! If you can manage it, getting a small niche you can set up in and not have to pack everything away when you're done makes it a lot easier to work 10-15 minutes here and there. It means you do not have to rely on being able to set aside larger chunks of time. A work table doesn't need to be that big to make a huge difference in efficiency. I use a 30" x 30" table and in the past have done as little as just marking out a small portion of my home desk where I can remain semi-set up to work (everything stored very close by).

Okay, so I'll have to film my dremel as well as my set of miniature files.

Already I sense a Part 2 coming down the pipe...

Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming.