BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just what is a rank?

How do!

Quick question based off what I consider to be a ropey ruling.

So, there were my Rhinox cavalry, merrily beating seven shades of snot out of my opponents main unit. Second round I stomp them good, reducing their second rank to 4 dudes. Hurrah I thought, they're no longer steadfast, and staring down a break test at -lots.

Then my opponent claims that on account I don't have a rank myself (third Rhinox literally fell foul of a pit of shades) but he still has has front rank, he remains steadfast, and would remain so until all but four of his dudes were splutchy little pancakes.

Rule book isn't clear on this, but a single rank, by the dictionary definition is in fact just a line. You need multiple lines to call them ranks.

Now as I said, rule book isn't clear, therefore both of us were being rules lawyers. I now want a consensus of opinion on the matter.

Can you really claim steadfast, based solely on your front rank or not?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Actually it is pretty clear. Page 5 refers to "one or more horizontal lines, called ranks". Furthermore, the combat res section on extra ranks (page 52) refers to the front rank as the 'fighting rank'. So it is very clear that even a single line of troops is a rank.

The Steadfast rules on p54 simply state that you need more ranks than the enemy. You have 1 rank (line of troops), he has 2. The steadfast rules work the same way as extra ranks combat res, in that you need at least 5 models to form a qualifying rank (3 in the case of monstrous inf/cav) for the steadfast rule to apply. Unlike the extra ranks rule, there is no 'after the first' condition for steadfast. So he has 1 qualifying rank, you have none for the purposes of steadfast, meaning he has more qualifying ranks than you. I'm afraid Mystery that he is entirely correct, it's all there in the rules.

Edit: Reading that back I'm worried it sounds a little patronising. It's not intended to be so, just trying to clearly take you through how it works!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Hmm. Still seems odd, and I'm fairly sure it's not the writers intent.

I mean 'bloody sarge! That Dragon just killed 12 of the men, there's only 5 of us left!'
    'Don't worry Ned. Remember your training. We don't start to panic until Jim dies'
    'Oh right. Look sarge, it just shoved Jim up it's unmentionable'
    'Ah! Right, GENTLEMEN! We shall now panic in an orderly fashion!'

Think I'll email GW about this one.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I thought that when my mate pointed it out to me and we had the same conversation you had with your gaming partner. Though intent or not, it seems pretty clear according to the wording and I would have thought it would have been FAQed by now if it was a common issue. Let me know what they say if you get a response.

You could also pitch it as these are the guys stepping to replace those in the front and are going to be the first rank not to have someone behind them pushing them up into the fight.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Oh, and they're also claiming it when a chariot reduces them to just the front line..... Which again seems a bit bizarre.

Chapter-Master

I'm not sure I agree with it as a rule, but I get where they are coming from. Even if you have just seen most of your unit massacred by something or other, working out there are still more of you than them will do something for your confidence. Though if said thing is a dragon, it starts to get a bit silly. The old unit size rule did go some way to addressing this issue, but it was a bit too unwieldy and time consuming for most people's liking.

As Wildey has pointed out, the front rank is still a rank. I've seen this question raised multiple times and every single time it has been resolved in the same way, steadfast until the front rank is no longer enough models to count as a rank.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a real-world view, but then there are plenty of other things in tabletop wargames that really don't make sense either.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Also, don't forget, that friend or not, the front rank is getting pushed into the enemy by those behind. No where for them to go except forward. Thus, steadfast.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Unlike the extra ranks rule, there is no 'after the first' condition for steadfast.
    I think this is the most important thing to bear in mind. It seems to be those players who've been playing a long time and are predominantly used to thinking of ranks in terms of combat resolution who have the most difficulty with the fact that the front rank is still a rank and there's no 'after the first' requirement

Still makes no sense.

Steadfast is described as one unit knowing it still significantly outnumbers the enemy.

Defo need to contact GW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast