BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A case delima

Chaplain

Default A case delima

Ok my problem is good folks that i need a case as I wish to start going to tornements in brisbane ect. Now I've already ruled out GW as theirs are to small so need some good (cheap would be nice) alternatives to use.
    Now what I have is
    1 Monolith
    1.Doomsday arc
    3. necron lords
    5. Immortals
    1.stormlord
    48 necron warriors
    5 Lychguard
    3 destroyers
    12 scarbs

so a ok ammount but I am also looking to expand so more immortals ect
    Thanks for the help in advance

Sounds like you need to look into this.
    [url]http://uk.battlefoam.com/categories/Battle-Foam-Trays-%2815.5-x-12%29/Warhammer-40K/Necron/[/url]
    You can organize as much as you want, then get the bag(s) that will hold your trays. You dont need a bag for every project really either, these trays store nicely on a shelf, ready to go.

Scout

Battle foam are good but very expensive. I prefer [url]http://krmulticase.com/[/url]

Unless there's a Brisbane in the UK that link won't help too much, perhaps the American version will be better as they're 'closer'.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

I'll second the recommendation for Battlefoam (I just bought a 1520XL for my Tyranids; I had a 1520 for my Guard already).

Without using any custom trays, I'd recommend:

BF-BF-1NM2DGA 1 Monolith, 2 Doomsday/Ghost Ark 6"
    BF-BF-69NT 69 Necron Troop Tray 2"
    BF-BF-EFA Elite and Fast Attack Unit 2"
    BF-BF-15D 15 Destroyers 2.5"
    BF-BF-45SS 45 Scarabs 1"

Total is 14.75" (13.5" + 0.25" per tray).

Since you only have 3 Destroyers, if they aren't glued to their flight stand, they may fit in the Elite/Fast Attack unit tray sideways. Additionally, 12 scarabs could fit sideways in spare 2" spots in the Troop and Elite/Fast Attack trays. Thus I'd cut those two trays out, bringing your total to 10.75":

BF-BF-1NM2DGA 1 Monolith, 2 Doomsday/Ghost Ark 6"
    BF-BF-69NT 69 Necron Troop Tray 2"
    BF-BF-EFA Elite and Fast Attack Unit 2"

At the top of the line is the 1520XL, with full custom loadout runs $300. It will hold these trays with ease, and still leaves 11.25" of space for more 3-4 more trays. If you chose the custom loadout, I would consider:

- Canoptek 10 Wraith + 3 Spider tray (4.25")
    and either
    - 3 Barge + 3 Triarch Walker tray (5.25")
    - 45 Scarab Swarm
    or
    - 2 Flyer tray (3.75")
    - a second Elite/Fast Attack tray (2.25")

Next up is the 720, of which the case + custom foam loadout runs $190. This is a perfectly viable solution, and you could throw in the 45 Scarab Swarm tray to make 12" exactly.

The cheapest option with Battlefoam, though, is to buy the 3 trays ($76), and get 1 Stacker box for $13. Out the door for under $90 (before shipping), with quality foam protecting your minis. The Stacker Box may not be a cool a kevlar fabric case w/ reinforcing, handles, wheels, etc, but it holds foam just as well.

I know you said you wanted to do it on the cheap, but when it comes to quality cases and foam storage, there really is no cheap off-the-shelf solution. If you want to keep costs down, you'll be looking at a lot of do-it-yourself work. But I think $100 to protect the army you have right now isn't a bad deal at all, consider the army itself probably cost you several times that.

Librarian

I know that my local gaming store has battlefoam, and he stocks a lot of the cases and inserts. He is based in Campbelltown Sydney though, so it might be a little hard to get a hold of from Brisbane.

A pack 720 should be about the right size for your army. I have one as well as 2 of the pack max (trolley) cases and a few pack plus add on cases. I have an extensive collection and bought most of the army bags when I had a lot of extra income coming in. I know they do deals for specific armies so you might be able to get an Necron army deal pack if they offer one.

One thing with Battle Foam, especially the older (before they went to a Kevlar type material), is that you can not treat it like an army back pack or it will tear at the stitching or the material will tear. I have had the plastic on the 1520 snap so that the material stitching is holding the trolley system to the bag rather than the rivets. I have been very rough with my stuff picking up 20KG container and packing it into my car, then placing it down a little hard is never good for you miniature cases.

Then again I have had all my miniature cases whether they be GW, KR, Sabol or Battle Foam break in one form or another. They just seem to get one or 2 spots that snap, tear, break or wear away. Usually it is the plastic, although the ones that use zippers or stitching tend to break there first. I do not mind though, a long as they protect the miniatures. I have found Battle Foam to perform the best in that regards as the foam inserts are pre-moulded to the shape of the miniatures, and they have strong walls meaning they can take a beating and still not put weight on the miniatures.
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 11-28-2012 at 02:48 AM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Occuli Imperator

What I think RGilbert was saying was that Brisbane is too far away as he is based in the UK...

I would second the KR multi case, they are very nice
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

What i meant was the link provided for Battlefoam was the UK site, where the OP would probably want the US site unless Battlefoam have setup shop downunder.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by RGilbert26 View Post
    What i meant was the link provided for Battlefoam was the UK site, where the OP would probably want the US site unless Battlefoam have setup shop downunder.
    Damn it why can I not read your posts properly
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

I have battlefoam and KR multicases, and I would say KRmulticase every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast