BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Librarian

I was afraid of that. It does beat 5th Edition but as DL says, 4th was better in this regard.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, in 4th, you took all your saves at once, then allocated wounds as you saw fit. The only restrictions were that you had to remove whole models. That's more or less the whole rule.

In 6th, this is how wound allocation works (though this was made before the 6th ed FAQs were released): [url]https://www.frontlinegaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/WoundAllocation6E.pdf[/url]

One is simple, easy to play, and easy to understand. The other is not. 6th ed just traded 5th's wound allocation problems out for a whole different set of problems. Instead of wound allocation shenanigans, we now have overly complex gameplay.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    One is simple, easy to play, and easy to understand. The other is not. 6th ed just traded 5th's wound allocation problems out for a whole different set of problems. Instead of wound allocation shenanigans, we now have overly complex gameplay.
    True enough, but I'm not sure I liked the days of the most valuable models in a squad always being the last to die no matter what. I liked the 5th edition rules better than 4th for that reason, and I like the 6th edition rules better than 5th. If I were to make a change, it would simply be to let the attacker allocate wounds when there is a choice, instead of the defender.

EDIT: I don't have a 4e book handy, but did you always have to kill a wounded multi-wound model first? I don't remember 4e coming out any differently in this scenario. I know you had to maximize kills within a given attack (e.g., if a unit has a T4 W2 nob and a T4 W1 boy and suffers one unsaved wound each from a meltagun and a bolter, you couldn't melta the boy and bolter the nob), but from attack to attack, did you still have to go for wounded multi-wound models first? If not, then 4e and 6e have the exact same results in the scenario DCM posted.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 11-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Chapter-Master

I don't remember exactly.

And any benefit from the more complex rules are canceled out by the amount of time it take to explain to half of my opponents when and why you take Look Out Sirs before/after armor saves, and then the amount of time it actually takes to physically roll all the dice.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 11-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

At least people won't feel forced to kit their multi-wound models out differently all the time to do wound allocation shenanigans. I guess it just isn't necessary now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12