BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Brother-Captain

I think you missed my sarcasm in that first comment, I'll have to use more hyperbole next time

In 4th, Gaussspam was actually a good idea since glances could harm vehicles. 5th is more about high RoF weaponry and since Gauss only glances, you need the high S shots to hurt vehicles. And since assault generally lasts 1 round, you feed units in, watch them drop, watch your units hop back up and blast them as they sit in the open dubmfounded.

It's never about absolutes. If I bring a LR and you have a C'tan sitting pretty, I'd be silly to just run right into it, I can use the LR's speed and durability to get around it and get something tastier or use its firepower to whittle down the numbers.

Monolith has AP1, but it scatters and in doing so you can't teleport.

I'd rather the Destroyers not die than not shoot 1 turn. They won't get in combat anyway, so it isn't an issue. Barring some ridiculously good luck with fleet or something similar, the Destroyers can maneuver around to avoid getting charged. Generally if they do get charged, I've done something wrong and get punished accordingly. Drop Pod units can't charge after coming down, Assault Marines expose themselves from turn 1 and can be whittle down, LS Storm is made of tissue paper and 5 Scouts never bothered anybody. If these types of units give you trouble, you can always stick the Destroyers behind a screen of Scarabs, have them absorb the charge and move on. Battle Cannons don't negate WBB for T5 models, and with large bases they can spread out and minimize return fire. If S10 shows up, the Lord has to be kept handy until it can be taken out. Weight of fire will bring anything down, but with T5 Destroyers and Immortals can get back up from nearly anything, giving them a lot more freedom than T4 'crons.

I understand the point you're trying to get across. You want to use oddball or suboptimal units to throw your opponent off and maybe learn something new. A good player will not be thrown off by 2 Monoliths and a load of Pariahs, there's a reason they aren't fielded often. You may be able to catch somebody with their pants down once or twice, but these units are suboptimal not because it's a conspiracy to hate on them or because nobody wants to be creative and experiment, believe me they have. You can try to make crap-aid, but it's still crap. They would be interesting and great for friendlies or Apocalypse. That's not really my target audience. People don't need help playing friendlies. I'm using this as a baseline for new and old Necron players alike looking for a way to get some extra mileage out of their army competitively.

And come on, did you read anything? Warrior spam sucks worse than anything else :P

Chaplain

I do find it funny that someone who doesn't play necrons is debating about tactics and units uses....
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Brother-Captain

Hell, I haven't played Necrons consistently in years and I think I'm doing all right :P

Considering it's almost identical to the advice from ****, I'd say so...

Brother-Captain

Which is why I already acknowledged in the OP...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    Hell, I haven't played Necrons consistently in years and I think I'm doing all right :P
    I meant emperoreternal, dude
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234