BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Daemon-Prince

well this explains why there are suddenly in house GW campaigns using the book popping up in GW's (I would play but im not buying the dang book!)
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Chaplain

I was going to buy it just cause I like the tasty fluff but only 5 pages for 78 ****en dollars (I live in aus so it's expensive) well **** it altho the rules make it what 15 pages

Iron Father

I like it, I enjoy looking at pictures of other peoples armies

I will be using this book to run our next clubs campaign.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Yes, I don't want to discourage anyone from the campaign. The actual campaign, especially the missions and objectives, are very quite strong. For that matter, being as they use the Planetary Empires expansion, it could quite feasibly be adapted into a resource/map-based campaign with some tweaks.

Although the armies used in the book are very Space Marine/Chaos focused, there are three factions, and any could readily be used for Xenos races.

The campaign was strong. I just found the fluff lackluster, and the prevalence of so much designer/developer commentary superflous. In fact, it could be the extraneous commentary jaded my review, and it's more deserving of praise. The campaign layout itself is quite strong. I just felt a bit let down buying a book and reading about everyone else's armies and how they fared in a campaign. It seemed... pandering, somehow. Adding the fact that it was so limited in production it sold out in two days online and most GW stores only received one or two extra copies, and most independent retailers didn't receive any, and I can still visit the GW site and see them hitting me over the head with how awesome it is, it's a little underwhelming.

Again strong campaign, strong rules, but at the end of the day, it reads like "hey guys, let's make an awesome campaign in-house." Cut to two months later. "Hey that was a great campaign. Let's make it a book, and make a buck."

Mediocre? Good? I don't know. Could have been much better.

Sadly I'm going to have to agree, 6/10 or so. It's ok, it is more dissapointing than bad. The campaign coverage seemed much shorter than in BitB (which I did enjoy) and the attention given to each army seemed to be less as well. Also having nearly every army being some flavour of Marine was tedious.

The new rules are good, but wondering why Dark Eldar don't get fighter aces. Ridiculous when their entire culture revolves around trying to be the best at inflicting pain not to have a mechanism to reflect that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by jgebi View Post
    I was going to buy it just cause I like the tasty fluff but only 5 pages for 78 ****en dollars (I live in aus so it's expensive) well **** it altho the rules make it what 15 pages
    It was $70 in Aus.

Not the best book, but it looks good on my shelf. Will probably get more use then the ~$500 worth of Rogue Trader and Black Crusade books I have, so I'm not complaining.

Brother-Sergeant

I finally got my copy in the mail yesterday.

I think that it was a major oversight on GWs part, leaving out chaos and dark eldar aces (if *necrons* can have aces, then there is no reason why there can't be ace heldrakes). I wonder if it was a mistake that could be remedied via FAQ later - after all, with all of the various editing errors, it wouldn't surprise me if they just forgot to put it in). It's especially odd for them to have left out DE, as razorwings seemed to play a pretty big role in the campaign.

On the other hand, despite lack of aces, DE get a pretty good deal on the maneuver chart. Both of their maneuvers get pulled off on an initiative check (5), while almost all over races have greater difficulty in succeeding on their maneuver charts.

The arena game looks like fun, but I've only glanced at the rules.

Librarian

Just received my copy, haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

The box was barley big enough for the book and since there was no padding around the edges, the upper right of the cover and binding are pretty badly smashed (even the top of the pages suffered damage).
    I contacted GW, and although I will have to ship it back to them, they will replace it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123