BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Anyone have thoughts on the Crusade of Fire campaign book yet?

Has anyone received their Crusade of Fire yet, and if so what are our thoughts?
    GW says my copies have shipped (to my work), so I should hopefully have it within a couple of days.

Not yet. Mine got shipped as well, but still waiting

GW says my copies have shipped (to my work), --
    Man, and i thought my wife was strict about 40k, but at least i can still bring that stuff home

Chapter-Master

Picked mine up on Saturday.

The campaign stuff seems fun, and am organising a campaign based on it at my club now

The extra dogfighting stuff could be fun, but seems a bit wierd.

The Dark Eldar arena, again could be interesting but seems a bit wierd.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I've only had a quick look-through, seems decent enough though 6 of the 8 armies were marine flavoured, or something close to that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

[URL="http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=2315"]The Independent Characters[/URL] did a comprehensive review of Crusade of Fire. To summarize:

Negatives
    • Focuses on Imperial and Chaos armies. Some armies (Tyranids) aren't represented at all.
    • Furthermore, the storyline for non-Imperial/Chaos factions is weak and tacked-on.
    • Requires Planetary Empires tiles.
    • Basic campaign system is only a variant of the Planetary Empires system.

Positives
    • Cool arena battle system.
    •*Interesting dogfight system allows fighters to battle in the air.
    • Cool rules for fighting on daemon worlds.

I know I won't be buying it, but I can see the appeal. I hope someone I know buys it, but I'm not interested myself.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    • Requires Planetary Empires tiles.
    Or.... A pen and some paper.
    Last edited by PaD; 12-03-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: misstype

I don't really understand why people are getting worked up over the Planetary Empires thing, it said so in the book description and it follows the format of Blood in the Badlands which used the Mighty Empire tiles/rules.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

And as PaD said, you can just draw up your own

As for Imperial V Chaos, not such a big deal really. They are the major players in the game. Any alien stuff is of course going to feel tacked on, largely because it is. Except Orks. The little green blighters are everywhere!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I don't really understand why people are getting worked up over the Planetary Empires thing, it said so in the book description and it follows the format of Blood in the Badlands which used the Mighty Empire tiles/rules.
    Sorry to disagree but I'm pretty sure the book description said nothing about Planetary Empires at all.

I'm hoping mine turns up today.

Chapter-Master

Its a version of it, but all the rules and stuff are explained.

You don't need the PLan empire set, i'm running it without it, using a computer drawn up one so we can share it easier on our club forum.

As for the marines vs chaos thing....yes and no. Its described as "forces of Good vs Forces of Evil vs people just dicking on you"

Forces of good could easily include Eldar or Tau. Evil is primarly chaos, but could include traitor guard or deamons. And then the pirates could include Dark Eldar and necrons(as it does in the book) but could also include Nids. It just happens those are the armies that the dev team played

Also the book is a bit of a guideline. You don't have to stick to it
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast