BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Sorry to disagree but I'm pretty sure the book description said nothing about Planetary Empires at all.

I'm hoping mine turns up today.
    You're right, I'm sure it said it used Planetary Empires somewhere though, bah, Still it isn't a big deal, as people have said, you can use your own templates easily.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I'm planning this campaign for the club in the new year.

I'm currently at 15 players. Its going to be fun. Already got plans for special games and events planned.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Can anyone tell me where the dark eldar fighter ace chart is?

Chapter-Master

They don't get one.

Apparantly DE don't live long enough to be Aces.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Frankio9 View Post
    Can anyone tell me where the dark eldar fighter ace chart is?
    I strongly suspect that Dark Eldar are just supposed to use the Eldar chart.

Either that, or they mispelled Dark Eldar as 'Black Templars', because it doesn't make much sense that they would have their own ace chart. :P

Chapter-Master

I'll ask my LGS owner tomorrow to see how he feels about it, or if anyone else has read it.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    You're right, I'm sure it said it used Planetary Empires somewhere though, bah, Still it isn't a big deal, as people have said, you can use your own templates easily.
    I read it somewhere too I am sure. not picked it up yet, I was planning on at some point, but from what people are saying here I don't know if I will bother. I snapped up Blood in the Badlands and that turned out to be a total waste of money.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

Mine has arrived...I have read it...and it is BOBBINS!

I am not negative by nature and usually love a new release what ever it is. But....
    Guys just don't bother. At the risk of starting another 'everything was better in my day' thread, this book is the sort of thing you would have seen spread over two or three White Dwarfs a few years ago. I can't believe there is so little in there for £25.

This is Games Workshop lite.

I am not negative by nature and usually love a new release what ever it is. But....
    Guys just don't bother. At the risk of starting another 'everything was better in my day' thread, this book is the sort of thing you would have seen spread over two or three White Dwarfs a few years ago. I can't believe there is so little in there for £25.

I picked it up on Monday - you've summed it up quite well. Part of this should have been included in the Planetary Empires very thin guide and the rest should have been spread over a couple of white dwarf magazine issues.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Very much agree with energongoodie.

The book is... merely OK. It really does read like an in-house GW campaign the staff came up with, then decided to publish after the fact. Five pages of fluff, some campaign rules, then 30-40 pages of the staff giving battle reports.

The Daemon world rules, fighter ace rules, and Arenas of Death rules are all great, but they're all situational. For example, my local game group is thinking of integrating the arenas of death rules into the regular games existing Challenge mechanic. Issue a challenge, accept, and play the Arenas mini-game with some tweaks. Or, as a separate night of gaming entirely, it is a unique and fun little thing.

BUT. Again, concurring, the Daemon World, Fighter Ace, and Arenas of Death are ALL White Dwarf articles. 5-6 pages of situational mechanics that people may or may not enjoy.

Eliminating the battle report type breakdown of the campaign, you have basically half the book left over. Any of which could have been spread over a few issues of a magazine.

Have to say, a little disappointed. The fact it was so stupidly flogged after every copy online and in stores sold out, and it's still being pushed on the website doesn't add anything to my respect for the end product.

It's mediocre at best. I'd say 6/10, if that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast