BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's not easy being green...

Ok, so I am starting my first 40k army (though I have played quite a lot of Warhammer Fantasy), and would like a little feedback on it. It's centered on an Assault on Black Reach, and is loosely based around the Evil Sunz Clan. I don't especially want to write a powergamer-y list, but I'd like to know if I am doing something stupid in terms of my list. Anyway, the list.

1500 pt

HQ

Warboss w. Mega Armour, Bosspole and Cybork Body 115pts

Big Mek w. Shokk Attack Gun and Ammo Grot 98pts

Elite

7 Lootas (or possibly burna boys; I am currently undecided) 105 pts

Troops

8 Nobz, one of whom is a painboy, all with cybork bodies, and 1 Waagh! banner & 2 big choppas 255pts
    Nob Transport: Battlewagon w. Red Paint Job, Deffroller, Zzap gun, Boarding Plank,StikkbombChukka& 2 Big Shootas 150pts

20 Slugga Boyz with a Nob with Power Claw & Bosspole, and the Boyz have stikkbombs 180 pts

10 Shoota Boyz with a Nob with Power Claw & Bosspole, 1 boy has a big shoota 111pts
    Shoota Boy transport: Trukk w. Stikkbomb Chukka, Boarding Plank, Red Paint Job & Reinforced Ram 55pts

10 Shoota Boyz with a Nob with Power Claw & Bosspole, 1 boy has a big shoota 111pts
    Shoota Boy transport: Trukk w. Stikkbomb Chukka, Boarding Plank, Red Paint Job & Reinforced Ram 55pts

Fast Attack

Dakkajet w. Red Paint Job, Additional Twin-Linked Supa Shoota, and a fighta ace 135 pts

3 Deffkoptas w. Twin Linked Rokkit Launchers 135pts

Total: 1500pts exactly

Please post any suggestions or improvements!

Chaplain

looks like a good list, you have a nice ammount of troops which is very orky and some big guns to deal with some armor, The HQ's are solid to, and with your fast attack I know how much a ***** deffs can be not Idea about the Dakka tho, I like painting orks and their law so thats my knowledge about them

Some comments on your list:

-I wouldn't give my Warboss Mega armour unless I had a Meganob bodyguard for him to run around with. Now it will keep up the unit he is assigned to. But this is my personal idea.

-Lootas or Burna boyz ? Simple, Lootas when the unit does not have a transport, Burna Boyz when they have a transport. Burna Boyz use flamer templates (= short range) and fight with power weapons (= close combat) so they need a way to get into combat quickly. That's how I would choose which to use.

- 20 Slugga Boyz, 10 Shoota Boyz & 10 Shoota Boyz: This is strange. The large unit on foot has sluggas (range 12, 1 shot) which means they won't be shooting much and your 2 units of Shoota boyz (which I assume are armed with a Shoota, range 18, 2 shots) have transport to get them to the enemy quickly. Wouldn't it make more sense to have you small, quick units wear slugga (= +1 A for 2 cc weapons) and the large unit have shootas. okay, Orks are not great shots but 20 boyz means 40 shots ! some are bound to hit Drop the Power Klaw on the Nob with the big unit, waste of points. Give it to a nob of the Nob unit.

And why don't you put 12 models in those Trukks ? 12 attacking Orks are better than 10 because they will probably always fights last (low Initiative)

So, these are my thoughts about your list. I hope they are helpfull (not claiming that I am the greatest Warlord around but this is how I would play it )

Thanks for the advice, but after consideration, I think I will dump the lootas in order to field 4bikes, largely for fluff and because you get some bikes in the battle force. I think I will swap around the gear on the boys, but I don't see why the mega armour on the warboss is such a problem; as paying for a power claw, heavy armour and a gun costs about the same as mega armour and gives a worse save. Another idea I had was to have some wartrakks with scorchas, as although they are expensive money-wise, the idea would be that they would screen the battle wagon while it is driving towards the foe, and then by compressing the enemy into a small space using the wagon and the trukks, I could burn the tightly-packed enemy with the scorchas. However, I do still like the idea of the bikes, as they are in the battalion, or maybe even another flyer, but please tell me which idea you think is better!
    Last edited by Alex the Everchosen; 12-07-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I didn't say that the mega armour was bad. Only I wouldn't combine my mega armoured Warboss in a unit without mega-armour.
    Mega-armour has the "Slow and Purposeful" rule and confers that to the entire unit which means they can't run, can't perform sweeping advances and can't fire on overwatch. It's for you to consider what you like more.

Considering your questions about bikes, skorchas, etc I must say I can't really help you much. I have never used bikes in any of my armies because I think them to be very expensive (point wise) for what you get. But then I also heard that they can be a real nuisance if used in small (6 bikes) units.
    Skorchas I would not buy if I were you... only because there are rumours about new Skorcha models coming in 2013.

Your Skorcha tactic can work but won't always work, keep that in mind... So considering the rumoured new skorcha models, the fact that you get bikes in the batalion set, that you do like bikes and that you do like flyers I would say: Choose either bikes or a flyer (forget the skorchas) and base your choice on what you find cooler. (personally I would choose a 2nd flyer, but thats because I don't really like the warbikes - personal choice, there will probably be hundreds of Ork Warbosses who use bikes and like them)

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post
    Choose either bikes or a flyer (forget the skorchas) and base your choice on what you find cooler. (personally I would choose a 2nd flyer, but thats because I don't really like the warbikes - personal choice, there will probably be hundreds of Ork Warbosses who use bikes and like them)
    As the contents of the battle force cost roughly the same with or without the bikes, I'll get it and use the bikes for now, but save up for a second dakkajet

Quote Originally Posted by Alex the Everchosen
    As the contents of the battle force cost roughly the same with or without the bikes, I'll get it and use the bikes for now, but save up for a second dakkajet
    Good choice... and who knows, perhaps you really like those bikes and instead of buying a 2nd flyer you will end up buying more warbikes

Please post your new, updated army list on the forum... Always nice to see what other Warbosses field in their army

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post
    Please post your new, updated army list on the forum... Always nice to see what other Warbosses field in their army
    Will do
    What do you actually field?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex the Everchosen
    What do you actually field?
    For 2000 points:

HQ
    -Warboss with power klaw, 'eavy armour and bosspole (power klaw still not sure of in 6th edition)
    -Weirboy (just for the fun of it)

ELITE
    -8 Nobz with 8 'eavy armour, 1 power klaw, 2 big choppas, 1 bosspole & 1 kombi shoota-skorcha
    riding a Battlewagon with deff rolla, kanon, big shoota & grot riggers
    -8 Tankbustas with Nob, 2 tankhammers, 1 'eavy armour & 1 bomb squig

TROOPS
    -12 Boyz with Nob, power klaw, 'eavy armour, bosspole & 1 big shoota
    riding a Trukk with reinforced ram
    -12 Boyz with Nob, power klaw, 'eavy armour, bosspole & 1 big shoota
    riding a Trukk with boarding plank
    -25 Boyz with Nob, 'eavy armour, bosspole & 2 big shootas
    -25 Boyz with Nob, 'eavy armour, bosspole & 2 big shootas
    -20 Gretchin with 2 Runtherds

FAST ATTACK
    -2 Deffkoptas with 2 twin-linked rokkit launchas
    -15 Stormboyz with Nob, power klaw & bosspole
    -Dakkajet with add.twin-linkes supa shootas & Fighta ace

HEAVY SUPPORT
    -3 Killa Kans with grotzooka, skorcha & big shoota

The Warboss rides with the Nobz and the Weirboy with a large unit of Boyz.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the armament of the Killa Kans, thay started out as having all rokkit launchas but point shortage changed that...

It is a Bad Moonz warband, so focus is more on shiny wargear then on being competitive

Fair enough, seems pretty Killy and stompy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast