BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I'm of the opinion Chaplains suffer the same problem...
    I agree with you, basically, but I do think Chaplains can shine - and even the score - with a less-than-stellar melee unit. Take tactical terminators. They suffer - at least a bit - from having a split purpose, with powerful power fists and decent durability, but not quite as much durability as hammernators. I wonder if the chaplain isn't a good fit for these guys because they need, more so than hammernators, to win that fight in round one.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Just take your captain and play him as a librarian--give him a sword bit and a pistol bit and the cloak bit and some cool looking accessories, and who's to say he's not a librarian? If captains get good again at some point in the future, then you can switch to using him as a captain.

Unless you already have a librarian, in which case just give him whatever you want--it really doesn't matter, because he won't be great, regardless. He is all assault, though, so don't bother with shots. Power sword or relic blade/storm shield, maybe melta bombs, and that's about it. You could go artificer, powerfist, storm shield, but at that point you should probably have just given him terminator armor and been done with it.

Chapter-Master

Artificer Armor, Power Fist, and Storm Shield is actually a fair bit cheaper than the Terminator equivalent, and Terminator armor only gives you Deepstrike, and brings the disadvantages of taking up extra transport space and disallowing sweeping advances along with it. There's no reason to aim specifically for Terminator armor. In fact, the only reason to ever take Terminator armor is in case you want to deepstrike, and frankly why are you deepstriking?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

you are deep striking with other terminators!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

auxiliary grenade launcher is fun, I would like to see if they FAQ using that along with throwing a normal grenade, a captain putting out a couple of frag or krak grenades is pretty handy. I have a captain with a relic blade and a storm shield because it makes an awesome looking model. might want an AP2 weapon though.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Veteran-Sergeant

relay when i think on this one again another thought would be Artificer Armor, Relic Blade, digital weapons, and a bike. with the new rules for bikes it makes him very dangerous (other than the fact that you can now take bikes as troops) he gets toughness 5 making him not only harder to wound but harder to instant kill, but also hammer of wrath and relentless. this combo gives you a good mix of what you need to use him better lots of movement to slam him down your opponent's gullet and do some serious hurt with him.
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Chapter-Master

I still think going "all the way" with a Bike Commander is the way to go.

215 Lord Kitchensink
    –Captain, Bike, Powerfist, Lightning Claw, Hellfire Rounds, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Artificer Armor

The guy is fast, resilient, and packs a punch (ho ho ho). Gets to shoot pair of guns that will wound just about anything, too. You can run him with a squad, or break off and be the 1 man army.

What's better? You can still take a 'Chapter Tactics' model, and your Super Captain gets another upgrade. I recommend Shrike. Now your captain moves 12" and then can blast stuff and fleet its way into combat.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 12-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Librarian

my captain ( hes not used much now ) used to run artificer + storm shield + relic blade. he was a ****ing machine. only things to ever bring him down were a plasma cannon ( i maintain a lucky shot ) and a arcon ( i know that's not spelt right sorry).

Librarian

ive not played my captain in my menor legion yet (new baby and life in the way in general), but i will be running the 25th anniv mini as nisk ran-thawll using the rules for good old pedro, the scoring sternguard add the elite cadre aspect to the force too YAY.

i would love to take artificer armour and iron halo but alas its just not fitting with the fluff.

but the suggestions of artificer armour and a shield is a tasty one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12