BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Sure this is at the mild end of Aussie behaviour I just can't stand them beating us at the Rugby...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    One thing that is irritating me is how some people are using this as an excuse to bash Australians (verbally). Really? Two idiot DJs do a prank and that gives you insight into their national character? God forbid we look at ourselves then, we worshipped a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile"]paedophile rapist[/URL] for decades just 'cos he was on television.
    Really. i haven't heard any Aussie bashing. Who's been doing that then?

On a side note, the Duke and Duchess have never complained about the call, either to the hospital or the radio station. I think their is message in here somewhere for society about giving them some damn privacy.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

People on news blogs and comments mostly, no one mainstream thankfully.

HRH The Prince of Wales actually joked about the prank call.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

I have no respect or sympathy for the DJs, if I'm being honest I hope they get the book thrown at them, not because I'm a royalist (I'm really not) but because of the loss of the nurses life. The DJs could not have picked a worse time to do this either given the recent results of the Leveson enquiry.

As for it showing Aussies in a bad light, I don't think so, I spent a year living in Aus and it was awesome, I have nothing negative to say about the people who on the whole were a good laugh, understanding, open minded, interesting and oodles of fun on night out on the piss.

Chapter-Master

I had an argument about this with someone yesterday, last few days my facebook newsfeed has been covered in messages attacking the DJs calling them everything under the sun and calling for charges and all sorts. The simple fact is they made a prank call, it was not malicious, and nobody could possibly have predicted this outcome. bad taste? sure. bad timing? sure. are they actually at fault? I don't think so. deepest sympathies to the family of the nurse, it is a terrible event, but the DJs will suffer for the rest of their lives feeling guilty for something that should have been a simple bit of fun. For the first 24 hours the news was nothing but what were the nurses doing handing out the information, then the circumstances change and suddenly that is swept under the carpet. The staff made a mistake, the royal family didn't care, people thought it was quite funny, it is a shame that wasn't the end of it.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Just saying out loud it sounds bad enough.

'Prank called hospital'

I feel very sad for the nurse and her family. Can't imagine what they must be going through. I hope they're getting looked after and that the press leave them alone.

The two DJs can't have seen what was going to happen at all. I honestly am amazed that it was thought to be a good idea to start with though and even worse that it was check by management and then broadcast.
    Some people do need sacking for it and it's not just the DJs.

Occuli Imperator

DJs have always done prank calls, look at Wossy for instance.
    I find them to be of poor taste most of the time, but thankfully the radio shows I listen to do not employ them.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

When you compare what Wossy and Brand did, it was far more distasteful than the actual content of this one.
    Unfortunately in this case an individual has reacted in an unpredictable manner, which will have consequences for all involved, if not legal, then the DJs in question will have it coming back to haunt them in some form or other for the rest of their lives.
    The only thing I can see changing is the hospital having more stringent phone checks.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Well yes exactly, what I can't understand though is how this happened, given the hospital is very familiar with having the royals and "celebrities" you would have thought that they would have protocols for this sort of thing.
    Though, I had a similiar thing on Saturday, I called the hospital about a relative and I was given an update on her conditions when she could recieve guests and all that and I never identified myself or what relation I was to the patient. When I arrived at the hospital I went to the nurse station and said I had called earlier and was given an update and a cup of tea. Now with being a legit concern it was very good that it was so simple, but then I thought of the hoax call and thought it was ridiculuosly simple.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I suppose a non-famous individual, the fact you know where they are goes a certain way to providing evidence of who you are?
    Plus how much use is the information to you beyond telling you how they are?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast