BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1500pt Space Wolf list

Was talking to my local GW manager and it started me thinking. Anyway I'm having a 1500pt game soon, and here is the list I'm thinking on taking.

HQ

Rune Priest - Divination
    Master of Runes
    Runic Armour
    Plasma pistol
    Wolftooth
    195pts

Rune Priest - Divination
    Master of Runes
    Melta Bomb
    155pts

Troops

10 Grey Hunters (GH)
    2 Plasma Guns

10 GH
    Meltagun, plasma gun
    Mark of the Wulfen
    170pts

10 GH
    2 Flamers
    Mark of the Wulfen
    Rhino w/ extra armour
    215pts

Elites

8 Wolf Guard
    4 w/ 2 plasma pistols
    2 w/ power axes
    1 w/ Power sword
    Razorback w/ TL lascannons
    329pts

Dreadnought
    TL lascannons
    Missile Launcher
    145pts

Wolf Scouts (bolters)
    Meltagun
    85pts

Fast Attack

5 Fenrisian Wolves
    40pts

Heavy Support

5 Long Fangs
    4 missile launchers
    Razorback w/ TL Lascannons

The list is a little weird, mainly as I'm still rebuilding my Space Wolves up, but it does have a plan. 2 Mastery level 2 psykers might be overkill, but I'm in love with Divinations! Basically one joins the Wolf Guards (plasma one), and the other joins one of the GH squads.

The Wolf Guard can be deployed in one of two ways. Either 3 of them can split of (The Sword and one of the axes to the Foot slogging GHs, and the normal to the Scouts) and they rumble forward towards the enemy in their Razorback (which I really want to run with an assault cannon, but don't have one). Or they can stay together on foot. Basically, with divination, the squad can throw out 9 re-rolling plasma shots, and get 4 attacks each in the first round of combat (also re-rolling). The plan eventually is to be able to field 9 Wolf Guard in a drop pod with a divination priest. That's 19 plasma shots, re-rolling and coming on by deep striking. Although I'll only take such a unit if I'm against an annoying player.

The Wolves are there because I own them, and I love the models. Again I want to boost their numbers eventually, but for now 5 is what i have. Normally they hang back behind cover, waiting to dive in-front of some nasty unit, help combo charge or to waste overwatch.

I've included some armour as my gaming group still hasn't embraced the foot slogging approach, so I still need some lascannons to deal with them, and razorbacks are cheap for it. Just keep them in some cover and let them take the odd pot shot.

The rest of the list should be self explanatory. Grey Hunter rule, Long Fangs are great, Wolf Scouts can really annoy gun lines (although they can't charge, so mine have bolters). Dreadnought can be useful, and it was either him or a Pred, and I like walkers better.

So what do you guys (and girls) think?

Alright, First off, Vindicators are awesome. Get one when you can. Second, When you bump up to 2000, take more troop choices, I always try to run 4 at 2000, but for now 3 is good. Third, Id scrap the Dread for another pack of Long Fangs.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonFerret View Post
    Alright, First off, Vindicators are awesome. Get one when you can. Second, When you bump up to 2000, take more troop choices, I always try to run 4 at 2000, but for now 3 is good. Third, Id scrap the Dread for another pack of Long Fangs.
    Vindicators are awesome, but I fear that you really have to take 2 for them to be a real threat. One can be too easily dealt with, but 2 means you can't take more long fangs, which I reckon are more versatile. Definitely throw in another GH squad in rhino, so that I've got 2 mech and 2 foot squads. Yeah the Dread wasn't of any use, reckon I'll drop him in the next game.

On a another note, the Wolf Guard with Plasma were awesome! Was against an all foot Space Wolf army, and they tore into it. In the first shooting phase they destroyed a unit of 5 terminators and put a wound on his lord, then the next turn they wiped out 8 Grey Hunters (who the lord had just joined after his previous retinue had been killed). By the end of the game they had killed almost 500pts worth of troops, losing only 2 in return. Their Razorback did sacrifice itself to stop him charging into my unit with the relic, but overall it was a near perfect game.

So what I'm think for 2000pts

- Drop the Dread (-145pts)
    - Take another LF squad (5) with 4 Missiles (+115pts)
    - Another GH squad, with Plasma and Mark of Wulfen and Rhino w/ Extra Armour (+225pts)
    - Add 5 to the Wolf Pack (+40pts)
    - change the bare Wolf Guard to Terminator w/ PF. (+25pts)
    - Aegis Defense Line w/ Hydra Flak (+100pts)

That leaves me with 140pts. Could add a Pred (125pts) or a Vindicator (125pts). or add a character... any ideas?

Not sure exactly what to add.