BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Necron Spam - Need Advice

So the title might be a bit deceiving because I am not having trouble with Necron Spam, but rather I am being accused of it.

I built my Necrons based on the APOC bundle about 6 years ago. For those of you unfamiliar with it it was:

1 Lord with Res Orb
    48 Warriors
    6 Destroyers
    1 Monolith

Since then I have added

1 Tomb Spyder
    1 Tomb Stalker
    6 Wraiths
    1 C'tan
    10 flayed ones
    10 Tesla Immortals
    20 Deathmarks
    1 Monolith
    2 Heavy Destroyers
    2 Destroyers
    Royal Court

Usually I run a list that is something like this:

Shackles OverLord w Court (1x Lightning field)
    Shackles OverLord w Court (1x Lightning field)

20x warriors
    20x warriors
    10x Immortals
    10x Deathmarks
    10x Deathmarks
    3 Heavy Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    0-2 monoliths depending

Anyway All i ever hear about is how much my army is spamming things. When the Crons first got their new book I was trying to run a similar list to last edition with a few tweeks and it wasn't going too well (think 4x12 warriors with a cryptek each) and my friends were annoyed but fine with it. The new lists they just dont want to play. The Stalker is "broken" they can't stand the shackles (better since the faq that lets you challenge to ignore them) and the lightningfield is "stupid". Basically I am catching all kinds of flak even more so since in our relatively tame group I am now undefeated in some time.

The last straw for them was having the unit of 20 warriors veil to a location of their choosing after a mishap where it was assaulted by a unit of purifiers and a unit of Black Templar. The Templar died to the lightning field and as I had decided not to overwatch them I did so vs the purifiers and killed all but 2 (hit with all of my staff of light atks..)

Now they dont want to play vs the Crons because of the above reasons and what gauss now does to vehicles. So my question to the community is what do I do? I really dont feel like going out and spending a fortune on new models just to run a unit of each. Secondly Ive tried using flayed ones which I've always loved but they tend to just die the first time there's a strong breeze.
    Last edited by Liazardman; 12-10-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Chapter-Master

Your list is hardly spam, it is a lot more varied than quite a few Necron lists I see nowadays.
    Not trying to be offensive, but if your friends are complaining about this army, they haven't seen anything yet - if you were running five Night Scythes, then I would definitely understand.

My advice is just to go with what you like, but if they keep on refusing to play you, maybe try some different combinations - going off that list you usually run, you could maybe switch out out some warriors and deathmarks for a C'tan, Wraiths, Tomb Spyders, etc. Unfortunately, your army isn't spamming at all, moreso I think your friends are complaining because they are having trouble adapting to your army. Necrons are a good army right now, it is very easy to write up a good army list for them. It can also come down to what your friends take. I think it is more than a bit unfair that for taking a nicely varied army you are getting punished for it.

In my LGS, I often play Grey Knights and am constantly told it is a tournament, WAAC-style army list, when really it isn't. It is just that people haven't learned how to beat it yet - which is why I keep telling them how to do so. You could give similar advice to your friends - tell them that assault is your major weakness and that most of your firepower is short-ranged, and they can expand from there. Given the sheer amount of 4+ armour save infantry you have, give them the hint that heavy flamers ruin your day, as well as blast weapons, and stuff like that.

I hope that helps, sorry if it is a bit incoherent, I am pretty out of it lol.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Veteran-Sergeant

Wow sounds to me like the people you play against need to grow up if I lose a battle and continue to do so against one of my friends army lists I sit down and make a new list to defeat it and I enjoy the challange of doing so, I don't want to insult the people you play against but really how old are they? not wanting to play your army because they keep loseing. If you are that bothered about trying to apease sore losers then let them win but I personally wouldn't have friends who were childish enough to refuse to play a game of toy soldiers because they keep loseing and getting upset.

Chapter-Master

Are you taking more than, say, 2 Necron Flyers in your whole army? No? Then your opponent is being a crybaby.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

You're still using Monoliths and Imhotek isn't in your list.

Tell them to put on their big boy pants and take their losses.

www.queencityguard.com

Nothing spammy there.

I play Necrons, and people just seem to crumble playing against them. I favour a largely foot slogging force, and used my Triarch Stalkers for the first time yesterday.

Thing is, Necrons have a really nice synergy within the army. Bulk infantry is cheap for what you get (in 1,500 I pack in 30 Immortals and 20 Warriors). And since I favour annihilating a specific unit, the Stalkers are a big help. But, making my Stalkers pointless is quite easy. Sure they are AV13, but being open topped sucks. Couple of solid hits, and my gun is gone. At that point they are effectively neutered, and my infantry become that much less threatening. Ditto annihilation barges. They're in to smash up transports, letting my infantry have at the much squishier contents. Take those two out, and I'm depending on my Gauss..... It's good, but nowhere near as reliable.

In short? Yes. Your opponents need to drop the fear and apply logic to the problem. Use Snipers or other placed shots to drop the Crypteks. If you can hit them, they drop as easily as a Warrior, and take out part of the Necron master plan with them!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Are you taking more than, say, 2 Necron Flyers in your whole army? No? Then your opponent is being a crybaby.
    Totally with darklink on this one, the flier lists are the only really spammy thing necrons do of late. If there is only one or two fliers, yeah its tough but its nothing crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    You're still using Monoliths and Imhotek isn't in your list.

Tell them to put on their big boy pants and take their losses.
    yeah, they need to seriously grow up
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Chapter-Master

Actually Mind Shackle Scarabs are kinda bull****, too, but that's not spam.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Have these guys ever looked at the Necron tourney lists? Yours looks like you're actively trying to avoid spamming. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by notsoevil View Post
    Have these guys ever looked at the Necron tourney lists? Yours looks like you're actively trying to avoid spamming. Ha.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast