BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I find no difference between a set of rules from a codex I am not used to (I haven't played against nid's since 4th) and a FW book I don't know...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoschrist View Post
    I don't mind it if people bring forgeworld.

The biggest gripe I have, and this actually goes for FW and the normal GW models, is that I would like my opponent to tell me what it does if I ask him, including any weird and/or special rules. I'd hate it to be "well, it has 5 lascannon shots a turn" and later on in the game "oh, I also have a special rule that allows me to do X as well". The moment I ask, either show me in the rulebook or explain me what I need to know in regards to the model.

I'm not really an experienced player myself (I just don't play a lot) but that doesn't mean that I cannot learn the special rules of MY army and inform my opponent timely when he needs to know something about my models. And yes sometimes I need to pick up my book. I have had games where I asked my opponent "what does it do" and it ended up in "this and this... and something like that". Don't give me that "something like that". Exact and correct information please. And if we're going to use that "policy" I don't see a problem in using any kit so far.
    Haha, kind of different but I do remember a mate telling me about a game he played where the guy he was versing had a plasma cannon armed dreadnought, or something or other. He kept his Carnifex away from it because of what he could see it had. Then, after they had deployed and everything, the guy said "Oh sorry it's actually a CCW". To say my friend was annoyed would be an understatement. It gets better though! The guys Terminators all had Swords, so naturally my mate charged things that wouldn't be afraid of swords into the Terminators. Then the guy said "Oh they are actually daemon hammers". My mate got the guy back though - the guy didn't know that vehicles couldn't contest objectives/guys inside couldn't score, and he lost the game because of that!

I'm very much of the opinion that if you are doing some counts-as, you need to let your opponent know about it beforehand so that they don't feel cheated and can adapt to it as they would if it was strictly WYSIWYG. I don't mind counts-as at all, just as long as the person doing it (including me) makes absolutely sure the opponent knows what is what.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

My Two Main armies are IG (My first army back in 4e) and Necrons (for about 6 years). Necrons I added the tomb stalker and found it was a bloody fire magnet due to how OP the rules seemed to my friends so it never did anything and then if I won it was because of the Stalker. The Stalker is a bit OP for its cost with all its weird rules that rant extra attacks and a bunch of USRs and immunity to poison but they still haven't released real rules for it (hopefully they will when the Necron IA comes out).

The other thing I have a lot of fun with in 6e is Armoured company. I tend to run a Command Vanquisher 2 conquerors 4 or 5 squads of infantry a couple hellhounds. Ive stopped running the Vulture with TL Punnisher cannon because it slaughters infantry and light Vehicles. I think its comparable to a rapid firing squad of Gauss Immortals/GK and slightly better than Tesla Immortals at long range. But because its on the highly mobile flier platform people tend to not be thrilled by it. So instead I now run the Lightning. To those who claim that tanks are dead try taking on a list with 9 chimera chasis vehicles (5 Chimera, 2 Hellhound, 2 Basilisk), 3 leman russes(Vanquisher, 2 Conqueors) a squad of 3 sentinels and an AV12 (vendetta) and AV10 (Lightning) flier. The issue is people being unprepared for something or not being 100% sure what to expect from something often scares them and the blame that list/thing for any problems they have

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Yeah indeed, were the Ironclads in Lucius Drop Pods? If so
    No he just walked them on from reserve or else that would have been LIMIT! But I do a few counts-as for stuff mostly cause i either don't like how a model looks and prefer to customize my own or i just don't have enough hammers to put on everyone or swords (alot of my Knights are old Demonhunter models). But I always make sure as I setup i go over my list with my opponent even if they have already played me a thousand times just so they know what is what. I also usually have an Excel spreadsheet of everything as well for their viewing pleasure :P
    =][= "Innocence proves Nothing."

Having recently read/skimmed most of the IA books, and my local group having little to no forgeworld items (I'm the only one who actually owns anything FW, just a few Basilisk cannon emplacements) I can say that yes most of it is fair. But agree that your opponent should clearly show you or explain what the abilities are of the FW unit in question should the need arise. I for one was recently caught off guard by the special Land Raider achilies with its thunderfire cannon and immunity to melta weapons/lance weapons (Which out of any thing related to forgeworld, i think is the single most piece of BS since necrons do not have that anymore on monoliths why does the imperium suddenly get it). My opponent was running the space marine FW army list from IA10-badab war (pt. 2) and so fielded a bunch of dreadnoughts and vindicators and a second thunderfire cannon. I did however get him back, as i sprung 3 vendettas on him at the last minute since they were a new addition to my army I had recently made. His "living metal" rule on the LRaider was useless against 9 TL lascannons.

Chapter-Master

Forgeworld stuff is no different than stuff in your codex from a "permission" perspective. Games of toy soldiers are completely voluntary and your opponent is free to not accept a game at any time regardless of whether or not you field FW.

"I'm going to use a nightwing in my list" is no different than say "I'm going to use a fireprism in my list".

In both cases your opponent has the free will to decline to play you based on what he perceives as fair or unfair.

All games between people are by mutual agreement. Even when you go to a tournament and don't know who your opponents (or have any clue about their lists) will be. You have agreed to go to the tournament and play by whatever is allowed. Forge World stuff which is stamped 40K is just as legal and appropriate as anything in the Codex. If someone shows up with it, I NEVER say anything other than request the rules of the thing if I'm unfamiliar with it (and thus need to know).

I should caveat that with the fact I don't refuse to play against anything within the scope of the game (decried as broken or not). I'm there to play the game, not to pass arrogant, self-serving judgement on other players.

I've started to run my armoured battle group list after picking up the new IA1. I have not had any problems with getting a game yet, although I only just had a game last night. I find that there is a lot more opposition on forums than in the real world. It is kind of annoying that FW isn't just accepted as fine by everyone. Some of my favourite games have been against FW lists, such as the ork kan list or the Tyrant's Legion.

It would be nice if FW was integrated into the in store order points fully, with free shipping over a reasonable amount. That would probably go a long way to fostering wider acceptance, as the question of "access" would be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I should caveat that with the fact I don't refuse to play against anything within the scope of the game (decried as broken or not). I'm there to play the game, not to pass arrogant, self-serving judgement on other players.
    Arrogant and self serving? Hmmmm... are you taking the position that no lists are broken nor abusive? Are you arguing that there is no such thing as exploiting weaknesses in the rules for in-game advantage? (I'm looking at you, Fifth Edition Drago Wing). Cheers...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Iron Father

I love FW models, they are just that bit unique. I also have a bit of a love for dreadnoughts, which as we know FW do plenty of.
    I have been known to run 1 or 2 contemptor dreads, mortis pattern with Kheres cannons and the cyclone. Game changing, maybe not but bloody effective against just about anything.
    My next purchase has been a LR Achilles. Thinking of putting 5 tacticals and a tech marine inside and using it to camp on objectives.
    Maybe FW stuff has given my marines a bit of a boost, but points wise I think the models are fairly costed. It evens out and I always spill the beans on the rules of anything my friends haven't seen before, before I start the game. I think that's the fairest way to deal with FW in your army in a non comp game. Just share what your models can do and I think it keeps everyone sweet.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast